Sign in to follow this  
kraxous

Offense or Defence - What are you?

All the time in Real-Time Strategy games I see noobs just rushing the map, in hope they find the enemy and hit them while they are weak and not prepared. On the other hand, some offensive strategies work really well, (I don't really know any since I am more defence than offense). Tell me gamers. What are you? Frontal assault all the way? Or build up those turrets and shields?

Offensive:

• Quick, agile yet adequate in strength.

• Production queue's first. Exp: Make whatever units are available to them.

• Don't wait around to make defence. They just move in once they have the firepower.

• Gatherer's of units and armaments.

• Rushers. :mad:

Defensive:

• Take their time.

• Build the best type of defence.

• Like to make a pretty looking base. :D

• Perfectionists - Everything just has to be of equal length, width, etc.

• Are the support class of any army.

I'm defensive. I hate rushers! What are you? :3

Edited by Kraxous

In RTS games I would say I am normally defensive, until I have made a base that is pretty much impregnable along with the Army from Hell - then I explode outwards and annihilate everything in my path. I still need to translate it into Carrier Command - although I reckon every other island needs to be a defensive one, which - although it is going to slow production a lot - will give the enemy carrier a headache trying to disrupt your supply lines.

G

Depending on the type of faction one plays and its respective strengths and weaknesses, I adapt to those. generally, however, I like play defensively and take my time before building a strong offensive force from behind my strong defensive front and finish off the enemy.

I also prefer games that has both a strategic element as well as a tactical one. Company of Heroes is one of my all time favorites in pretty much all categories.

defensive and slow paced. I love CC for that

Me too, which is why it irks me that the enemy carrier seems to go through my islands very quickly. He seems to be taking two of mine to ever one of his I take. If ever I see him, he scuttles off and there is no way I can catch him.

I would like it if I could switch to the Island he is attacking and control some of the units there myself - I am sure I could do a better job than my AI is currently doing!

Gotta be defence: im an old-school turtle player of rts. Nothing more amusing than mind over matter battles with good shields and armor against someone with a big army full of weak hard-hitters...

---------- Post added at 16:42 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

Me too, which is why it irks me that the enemy carrier seems to go through my islands very quickly. He seems to be taking two of mine to ever one of his I take. If ever I see him, he scuttles off and there is no way I can catch him.

I would like it if I could switch to the Island he is attacking and control some of the units there myself - I am sure I could do a better job than my AI is currently doing!

motion seconded...

You won't catch him with your carrier, but if you send a Manta after him then you can attack his engines with Gatling / Plasma then he will be forced to stand and fight .. ..

G

I am very much a "snapping turtle". Strong defense, a mobile "strike" group that can reinforce and counterattack to wipe up, and then a massive force built "behind the line" while my enemy batters themselves to pieces.

Sure, rush MIGHT win - but once I get a rudimentary defense up, its a foregone conclusion

*On COH - destructable bridges!!!! WOOT!*

Ok - Back to CC. Turtling IS possible - remember that islands get a defensive bonus if they are attached to a defensive island. Multiple defensive islands "interconnected" really make a wall the enemy is unlikely to go through. This is one of the reasons that the barque needs to be slowed and surfaced (so it becomes destructable) and why islands need to be farther apart. As it is, you or the enemy can attack an island at the limit of your fuel range without real fear.

I'm disappointed in the lack of offensive players here. :<

I'm both. My offense is my defense. I've always found it difficult for my opponent to attack when they have vastly less resources due to my constant harassment, and any attack they field I crush with a mobile army.

The best defence always ends up being the best offense. :)

I am very much a "snapping turtle". Strong defense, a mobile "strike" group that can reinforce and counterattack to wipe up, and then a massive force built "behind the line" while my enemy batters themselves to pieces.

Sure, rush MIGHT win - but once I get a rudimentary defense up, its a foregone conclusion

*On COH - destructable bridges!!!! WOOT!*

Ok - Back to CC. Turtling IS possible - remember that islands get a defensive bonus if they are attached to a defensive island. Multiple defensive islands "interconnected" really make a wall the enemy is unlikely to go through. This is one of the reasons that the barque needs to be slowed and surfaced (so it becomes destructable) and why islands need to be farther apart. As it is, you or the enemy can attack an island at the limit of your fuel range without real fear.

can so relate to COH bridges. i only play maps where i can box myself in by blowing all the bridges so i gots time to build defense :D

can so relate to COH bridges. i only play maps where i can box myself in by blowing all the bridges so i gots time to build defense :D

Call me a noob but... The heck is COH? I'mma Google it :3.

COH - Company of Heroes - WWII RTS game - very, very good!

Interesting, I have the Anthology right next to me and didn't even realise until now. Never played it :P.

I say GDI so guess what? Offensive, I don't build much dev. I build most of the time units to defend something. Also I like only attacking games like GC, WiC, MoW ,Nexus, etc. in games like total war series I do it the same way I don't build defensive buildings. Also no units are there to defend, when I got attacked some army must do the job. But I am not a player who just rush into other.

You've GOT to be joking me? GDI? REALLY? Global Defence Initiative - Bro! I play C&C and play defence with them :o.

That must be hard, because GDI don't have good defensive buildings like the Obelisk. I think the NOD is better for a pretty base. I especially when saw the first time the Laser-fence in Teberian Sun :P. But what ever how can you play defensive in cc? Here in CC I take some AA first out than rush with all what I got into them with the control of one ground unit myself.

Depends on what C&C tbh. Like C&C 3, it's easy to defend with GDI :3. C&C 4 is also a good example.