Sign in to follow this  
SGXander

My thoughts on life the universe and carrier command

Hi All, new to the forum love carrier command.

So i downloaded carrier command Friday night and after downgrading graphics drivers managed to get the engine to display the scenery correctly i started playing.

A couple of thoughts so far:

(played around 10-15 hours over the course of the weekend so I'm sure i have missed some things and please comment if I'm just plain wrong!)

Gameplay:

;) The Engine (for the most part) seems to be fantastic. One of very few in my opinion that can render such beautiful scenery and good scale automated unit combat and tactical control with no noticeable lag and makes me really smile when fighting in snow-terrain in a blizzard or a sunset.

:) would really love a add-on to walk around inside the carrier at any point after you get it...

:( FPS mode seems to be a bit of an afterthought?

I like it and it adds to the story but things like; I haven't found a health pack yet and dont think they exist? Meaning if you make a mistake and your health ends up low it is low for the duration of the mission and you s*** yourself at every sign of an enemy as you don't want to restart or die.

:( no idea what slot 2 on the walrus' are for yet but I'm not that far along in the game.

:( FPS Mode randomly likes to deplete your shields when walking up stairs or through a door. its fine until you walk through a door into a room full of nasties realizing your advantage is gone...

:( in skirmish mode the enemy carrier is nothing more than a sore looser. As soon as you take an island he begins hit and runs on yours and the only way to stop him is to intercept him at one of your islands at which point he runs away like a little girl...

you are left with having to ram-raid him with your carrier then make your main gun a top priority repair so you can shoot out his engines before he gets too far away.

this forces the skirmish into an early end with the carrier destroyed and i want a long-term crawling forward battle that lasts for hours and requires tactics...

(like i said only done 2-3 skirmishes so far so this may not be the norm)

:mad: The carrier auto-guns take no less than 3 hits before responding to aggression which means that while fighting if the island defense decides to rush your carrier (which sucks in itself) it wont be on the ball enough to protect itself. when it finally does decide to fight the main guns are gone or enemy walrus' are sitting right next to it under the arc of fire of the side-mounted quads...

:mad: The computer controller for the walrus is thick as s***... there's no other word for it.

From trying to scale the side of a sheer cliff rather than use the zig-zag road that it was on to driving through molten lava rather than take the bridge, they really really need some work.

examples include the above as well as pointlessly doing 360 degree turns when pressing the execute button and needlessly going miles wide of the carrier during docking procedure (also a problem with the mantas) or just piling into the right-hand side of the carrier when they need to dock on the left...

This ends up with me thinking it is better to just play guerrilla style with a mk2-armour,shield,gatling,rocket manta and keep a really close eye on 2 walrus that i guide to the command center....

ultimately making the ground-based tactic element somewhat limited.

technical:

:( latest NVidia drivers did not work and required a downgrade all the way to 302 to get the game to go properly (all worked but half the textures and lighting effects would not appear! (tri-sli asus gtx 480s)

:mad: Engine errors with debug options suck majorly. made worse by happening at or just before critical junctures and making it all the more irritating when you realize auto-save occurs after story-events or on island arrival only (simple time-interval auto-save would be great!).

I know its good practice and good gaming to save yourself constantly but it ruins immersion having to worry that it'll crash out. Especially when most of the time the engine runs so well that there is no warning when it does happen.

It's not all bad though I am loving the game and really hope some of the above can be fixed so i can really get my teeth into it.

Apologies for any spelling/punctuation/just plain wrongness.

just my two pence worth

has anyone got any thoughts on the above

Edited by SGXander

I posted a similair thing here on the CCGM forums. Let me just say: You are a God. Simply because of your ideas and views on this game, I thought the exact same thing and agree on everything you have said. A point that came clear to me was the second slot for a Walrus, I don't actually think there is anything that fits in that slot? I thought it was missles that equipped on the sides of the Mk. II armour but obviously not :(.

Also: Welcome to the forums! ^_^'

- Joe.

I posted a similair thing here on the CCGM forums. Let me just say: You are a God. Simply because of your ideas and views on this game, I thought the exact same thing and agree on everything you have said. A point that came clear to me was the second slot for a Walrus, I don't actually think there is anything that fits in that slot? I thought it was missles that equipped on the sides of the Mk. II armour but obviously not :(.

Also: Welcome to the forums! ^_^'

- Joe.

Thanks man as are you and sorry for a double-post in that case (I admit i didn't look hard before posting this up)

Yeah my thoughts were utility slot or something (IR Smoke to prevent missile lock? tow hitch for towing other walrus with no fuel?)

but no such coolness :(

i think missiles are a great secondary on air units but having missiles AND a plasma cannon on a walrus would make it a bit too beefy...

i find walrus with plasma cannon ammo box t2 armour can wreck most ground targets and the same again with flak as a cover is the most effective...

Thanks man as are you and sorry for a double-post in that case (I admit i didn't look hard before posting this up)

Yeah my thoughts were utility slot or something (IR Smoke to prevent missile lock? tow hitch for towing other walrus with no fuel?)

but no such coolness :(

i think missiles are a great secondary on air units but having missiles AND a plasma cannon on a walrus would make it a bit too beefy...

i find walrus with plasma cannon ammo box t2 armour can wreck most ground targets and the same again with flak as a cover is the most effective...

I like the way you think Xander :3. I have so many ideas for this game too, much like yours it's unreal, but it's the fact of getting them accepted; it wont happen :(! No worries about the double post, your thread was more structed then what mine was and makes much more sense - short 'n' sweet :). I would like to make some weapons/mods/units for this game it'd be well cool! ^^'

:) would really love a add-on to walk around inside the carrier at any point after you get it...

While I have to say that the only thing I actually care about is the walrus pathfinding/general intelligence, if they added this little piece of fluff it would make such a huge difference to me I can't even begin to describe. Those two changes alone would easily turn this into my hands down favorite game.

I know it seems silly, but the immersion of being able to just chill out and walk around your carrier while other things are going on (namely waiting for production and supplies) would be unreal. I can't think of any other game out, atm, that lets you do that besides Mass Effect (which hardly compares but because you have a ship and can tell it where to go, it deserves mention) and that star trek MMO that is out.

I know it seems silly, but the immersion of being able to just chill out and walk around your carrier while other things are going on (namely waiting for production and supplies) would be unreal. I can't think of any other game out, atm, that lets you do that besides Mass Effect (which hardly compares but because you have a ship and can tell it where to go, it deserves mention) and that star trek MMO that is out.

have to support this too greatly. Its the immersive feeling of having a home from which to fight the harsh world outside.

have to support this too greatly. Its the immersive feeling of having a home from which to fight the harsh world outside.

It also makes the game feel a little more alive. I tried to get my gf into my favorite game series, the X series (X2, X3: Reunion, X3:Terran Conflict). She started to, at first... but eventually lost interest. When I asked her what killed it for her, she said it was because the universe just didn't feel alive at all. All she ever saw, besides little communication windows on the top left, were ships. No people, no walking around on the ships- as far as she was concerned it was a bunch of little lifeless space-boats putting around and doing lifeless space-boat stuff. No immersion whatsoever.

I really wouldn't have thought about it if not for the opening FPS scenes. I didn't hate them quite as much as everyone else, but when I actually walked onboard the ship? I immediately thought "This is the game for me". I could actually explore the inside of the ship, see the different rooms and just generally move from place to place within it. So when I took command of it, the very first thing I did was try to find out how to get back there, so I could walk around the ship while it was floating around on the water and doing stuff. Unfortunately, I found it wasn't possible.

While not game breaking or hurting my overall image of the game, I do have to say it was definitely more than a little disappointing.

Edited by Tolmos

While I have to say that the only thing I actually care about is the walrus pathfinding/general intelligence, if they added this little piece of fluff it would make such a huge difference to me I can't even begin to describe. Those two changes alone would easily turn this into my hands down favorite game.

literally taking the words from my head. a chillout walk onto the deck or the cargo bay to look at the stored walrus'/mantas or guns/equipment? can't be too hard since most of it was in that first mission anyway...

yeah mass effect star trek online etc but none with the orgasmicly (it's a word i just invented it...) good HDR of this game

agreed though those two fixes would straight away make this the only game i play for a long time (and i have been playing eve for 8 years...)

The 2nd slot on the Walrus (and even manta's) are for rockets/missiles. After you get them you can switch weapons with the mousewheel.

It also makes the game feel a little more alive. I tried to get my gf into my favorite game series, the X series (X2, X3: Reunion, X3:Terran Conflict). She started to, at first... but eventually lost interest. When I asked her what killed it for her, she said it was because the universe just didn't feel alive at all. All she ever saw, besides little communication windows on the top left, were ships. No people, no walking around on the ships- as far as she was concerned it was a bunch of little lifeless space-boats putting around and doing lifeless space-boat stuff. No immersion whatsoever.

I really wouldn't have thought about it if not for the opening FPS scenes. I didn't hate them quite as much as everyone else, but when I actually walked onboard the ship? I immediately though "This is the game for me". I could actually explore the inside of the ship, see the different rooms and just generally move from place to place within it. So when I took command of it, the very first thing I did was try to find out how to get back there, so I could walk around the ship while it was floating around on the water and doing stuff. Unfortunately, I found it wasn't possible.

While not game breaking or hurting my overall image of the game, I do have to say it was definitely more than a little disappointing.

it's got to be said: with the opening FPS scenes and the tremendous wait times between fuel runs i was actually looking for a button to get out of the helm-chair...

it definately doesnt break the game, not by miles and the FPS bit is not (in my opinion) what this game is about but i get some satisfaction sailing the carrier into a snow island dock during a blizzard and just sitting in the map view looking at how bad the weather is outside via the PIP picture :)

just want to look out the window instead...

---------- Post added at 12:24 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

The 2nd slot on the Walrus (and even manta's) are for rockets/missiles. After you get them you can switch weapons with the mousewheel.

have to disagree with you there mate (again if you know better I'm sorry for being rude) but in my time playing even skirmish's there seems to be nothing for use in walrus slot 2. mantas definately benefit from rockets and missiles but the missiles on the walrus are a turret/back option replacing slot 1...

have to disagree with you there mate (again if you know better I'm sorry for being rude) but in my time playing even skirmish's there seems to be nothing for use in walrus slot 2. mantas definately benefit from rockets and missiles but the missiles on the walrus are a turret/back option replacing slot 1...

Ah, my bad in that case! I only produced the manta rockets so far and am currently making them for my Walrus's and haven't properly equipped them >_<

Might aswell cancel that production than because Gatling still does the trick for everything so far...

Ah, my bad in that case! I only produced the manta rockets so far and am currently making them for my Walrus's and haven't properly equipped them >_<

Might aswell cancel that production than because Gatling still does the trick for everything so far...

Yeah My favourite setups so far that work great for smash and grab/get in get the cc get out/wham bam thank you ma'am are:

Walrus1: plasma, ammo box,armour mkii

walrus2: flak, ammo box, armour mkii

walrus3: repairgun, armour mki

walrus4: gatling, hack module, armour mki

AND WATCH THEM LIKE HAWKs incase they decide to do something daft like sit there doing 360s headbutting each other while nasties laser the hell out of them bbq style... (has happened to me)

all manta's:

gatling, rockets, shield, armour mkii

swap shield for ammo or hook depending on requirements...

tomahawks for taking out enemy carrier engines/main gun/quads works real well and leaves him sitting pretty for bow-shots from your carrier-plasma

fyi mantas set up like this are filthy in air to air as they are almost invincible if you keep strafing.

it takes heavy prolonged fire (2-3 gatlings on constant hits) to take it out so if ou got 4 and use them manually 1 at a time it really makes for a sky-king...

Edited by SGXander

Yeah My favourite setups so far that work great for smash and grab/get in get the cc get out/wham bam thank you ma'am are:

Walrus1: plasma, ammo box,armour mkii

walrus2: flak, ammo box, armour mkii

walrus3: repairgun, armour mki

walrus4: gatling, hack module, armour mki

AND WATCH THEM LIKE HAWKs incase they decide to do something daft like sit there doing 360s headbutting each other while nasties laser the hell out of them bbq style... (has happened to me)

all manta's:

gatling, rockets, shield, armour mkii

swap shield for ammo or hook depending on requirements...

tomahawks for taking out enemy carrier engines/main gun/quads works real well and leaves him sitting pretty for bow-shots from your carrier-plasma

fyi mantas set up like this are filthy in air to air as they are almost invincible if you keep strafing.

it takes heavy prolonged fire (2-3 gatlings on constant hits) to take it out so if ou got 4 and use them manually 1 at a time it really makes for a sky-king...

Dayum Xander! Very strategic there son! Valuable allie... You are mine >:]

Dayum Xander! Very strategic there son! Valuable allie... You are mine >:]

heh wish there was co-op too :(

is there a tactics and strategy thread? if not i may make one for bouncing ideas around

heh wish there was co-op too :(

I heard they plan to look into how well the game is going and maybe give us multiplayer if it goes really well. I'd love that- LAN play alone would make me thrilled.

Having a third or fourth opponent would also make my day. Add a little more strategy while also stopping the constant give and take between the computer and yourself.

I heard they plan to look into how well the game is going and maybe give us multiplayer if it goes really well. I'd love that- LAN play alone would make me thrilled.

Having a third or fourth opponent would also make my day. Add a little more strategy while also stopping the constant give and take between the computer and yourself.

oh hell yeah. my thought on that (cos i did yesterday while looking for the co-op button) is that the islands would need to be really close together else we would have to have joint custody of the time-warp feature...

two-pronged attacks against larger islands like fulcrum would prove to tip the balance and as i posted above I'm sure the engine can handle it.

I have not found anything that fits in Walrus slot 2 yet either. Seems funny when you can equip Manta's with a gun + missiles/rockets + Tomahawk.......

G

I have not found anything that fits in Walrus slot 2 yet either. Seems funny when you can equip Manta's with a gun + missiles/rockets + Tomahawk.......

G

agreed. makes the manta an amazingly effective offense craft leaving the walrus as either cannon fodder or filling the MBT role when you stick plasma/heat and mkii armor on it...

Now that it comes to my senses, the Walrus seems a little useless but at the same time, good for frontal assaults.

Would love to be able to walk around the inside of the carrier too and interact with the crew, even if it's just idle chat :) It would be a nice distraction for those moments when you're waiting around for supplies or whatever. I played mass effect 2 and they did this quite well, it's great being able to walk around the ship. Brings more scale and life to it.

I take the ground units for most of the jobs because I only have one MK1 armor for the air units. But I attack with all air units too when only one or two aa sentries are in the target zone alive. I control one ground my self with armed with laser and upgraded to mk1 the rest of the units are follow and and change it to aggressive mode , like the air units they do than most things them self I only pull out some dangerous things my self but the rest is all done by my aggressive ai. When some air get to much damage I just press f2 and it is saved. The ground units don't take much damage.