Sign in to follow this  
kraxous

Reviewing time!

As a gamer I want to do some gameplay and reviews for games! Carrier Command: Gaea Mission is a prime example of a game I want to review and get some footage of gameplay. I will upload them to YouTube too! Is there anything anybody wants me to mention? I'll try and cover the agenda of CCGM like any other reviewer would but I would like peoples opinions to place in the video as annotations. ;)

Thanks guys,

- Joe.

Being a reviewer isn't all fun and games you know... Well, at least not the fun part (offcourse it's always games, duh).

I had to review some questionable games so far. Sure, it's a free copy you get but... Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard? Iron Man 2 *shivers*?

On the bright side: All the Total War games so far, Starcraft II, The Witcher 2 and pretty much every other PC topper out there came my way :P

Right, anyways... Some annotations:

+ Much potential, fun gameplay, good / semi-great graphics (about 85/100 score), great atmosphere, fantastic weather effects / day-night cycles, decent replayability

- Bad pathfinding and AI behaviour, much micromanagement, crashes sometimes, too much downtime & waiting, mediocre story line with cheesy voice-acting

Total score: 70-75 out of 100

Aye, I've been a reviewer before but my account was taken down due to some idiot claiming copyright infringement on a game I reviewed. Lost over 200 videos that day... Anyway, thanks for the reply, I'll be sure to put it into the review! :3

PC mouse and keyboard controls needs work.

In what way exactly?

Haven't had issues with the M/KB setup so far. Just had to tone down sensitivity in the beginning but that's it.

In what way exactly?

Haven't had issues with the M/KB setup so far. Just had to tone down sensitivity in the beginning but that's it.

Mouse feels over sensitive for me flying manta, adjustment seem very small if any, and have you tried to remap the arrow keys yet?

Mouse feels over sensitive for me flying manta, adjustment seem very small if any, and have you tried to remap the arrow keys yet?

I thought they have sorted that out, so much better (less twitchy) than BETA 2........

G

I agree Dajunka, the mouse sensitivity is very fast.

I feel like I play some bad converted console game because of the controls, feels way to much squishy in mantas. Cant really fight with them my self without my beloved Joystick. I can only scout with them, the other things must the AI do for me. And damn the FPS part of the game is uhm crazy a mix from UT, Halo and OPF , UT because you can run fast like you can do it in those games. Halo because weapon,health and shields. OPF because you cant jump and some movement issues what comes with it.

Also the game feels like a Solo Planet Side.

Edited by Serpentras

Ha! Planetside! That's a pretty awesome game though :P.

I never used my arrow keys since Wolfenstein 3D o_O

WASD is just perfect, at least I have other keys to shortcut to nearby. Although I can understand it's a problem for some people.

As for the mouse+manta, don't have any problems with that? Any particular mouse you are using at the moment? Perhaps it's an incompatibility issue or something?

As for the mouse+manta, don't have any problems with that? Any particular mouse you are using at the moment? Perhaps it's an incompatibility issue or something?

One question do you use the auto aim?

Ah yes, of course, the auto-aim assists the mouse movement... I have that activated and have no issues but without it it's a complete bish to control.

That is maybe the thing why some of us complain about it. We want to shoot without it. I am one of them , the first thing what I do in the game was max the settings and deactivate auto aim and search the bar for AI difficult but it is not in there bah >.<

That is maybe the thing why some of us complain about it. We want to shoot without it. I am one of them , the first thing what I do in the game was max the settings and deactivate auto aim and search the bar for AI difficult but it is not in there bah >.<

I'd do that in a heartbeat if it was any regular shooter but I feel the auto-aim is somewhat 'acceptable' here, since we're talking about high-tech military units here.

Done a few islands without auto-aim but it's still going well for me.

Besides, it makes sense for aerial units to have some targeting system in place. It's not like auto-aim is going to do everything for you.

Auto-aim can be a bit of a pain when there are several enemy units close to each other - it has a tendency to skip from one enemy to another - especially with the laser.

Auto-aim can be a bit of a pain when there are several enemy units close to each other - it has a tendency to skip from one enemy to another - especially with the laser.

It seems their real issue is the kind off wonky movement without auto-aim.

But... the moving from one enemy to another does happen, however it's not a severe issue if you manage to aim well enough.

The only things I can think of on the negative side are the path finding issue, and lack of manual timewarp control.

You only timewarp when traveling between islands, and its very frustrating to have to wait for items to be produced and the supply barque to arrive at my location

Other than that I have nothing but good experiences with it, and honestly feels to me like what I would have expected from the original had it been created today.

My personal opinion is that its a worthy successor, if you can call it that, to the original game and well worth buying if you are into this sort of game.

I only wish I could replay the game as if it was the first time after I completed it.

Edited by Bansheedragon

Some things to mention in your review:

They built the engine for this game from the ground up. It is not the same engine as ArmA II. (We don't even know the name of their new engine.)

It is a faithful remake of the 1988 classic. Anyone who enjoyed the 1988 classic will definitely enjoy this remake.

There are some issue with the AI pathfinding, but it's Bohemia Interactive, they'll figure something out to make us happy. (But you can't please everyone.)

...We don't even know the name of their new engine...

Enforce

Enforce

Great, scaleable engine btw. More forgiving than ArmA II's engine to be honest.

I'm sure you can build lots of types of games with this one.

Cool thanks. :) So it is using Enforce 1.0?

Basically, yes. :)

I knew I'd heard of Enforce before...you guys also used it in Alpha Prime. :)

So it is not a completely new engine?