Sign in to follow this  
tortuosit

Videorecorder codec in the config file, how to record?

OK BI,

this is in the config file. How can I record things then? :) :)

<videorecorder codec="xvid" halfsize="1" config="1" framerate="30" />

Michael

If I'm right, (correct me if wrong), you have to have a programme such as FRAPS that binds with the XviD codec from the game so it makes it easier and compresses into an .avi - most games do not contain a video codec that allows smooth recording. And by the:

framerate="30" />
I'm guessing you can record at 30 FPS and it will be nice and smooth.

A question from me though: Recording fullscreen with camtasia. How can I do it with this game?

"that binds with the xvid codec from the game".

Woah, hold on there buddy - codec? game?

A game does not use a codec to display video information. CoDec stands for CompressionDecompression -

A codec specifies a compression method. What goes on on the screen is uncompressed. A game cannot use a codec to display video - it could take a video encoded with a codec (such as xvid), decompress it and display the frames (ie a video cutscene) but it cannot output to the screen using a codec.

When you run software such as FRAPS, it grabs the raw data from the framebuffer (memory) and runs it through a codec to generate a compressed file.

There would be no reason to have settings such as this in a config file unless the game feature(s/d) video capture.

It is quite possible that it is just something they had for development (To record testing runs) but removed for release. Removal could be due to licensing issues.

Yo guys press f6 and tab out and in and guess what ? You can change video compression,you can choose between 8 formats and compression rate.

"that binds with the xvid codec from the game".

Woah, hold on there buddy - codec? game?

A game does not use a codec to display video information. CoDec stands for CompressionDecompression -

A codec specifies a compression method. What goes on on the screen is uncompressed. A game cannot use a codec to display video - it could take a video encoded with a codec (such as xvid), decompress it and display the frames (ie a video cutscene) but it cannot output to the screen using a codec.

When you run software such as FRAPS, it grabs the raw data from the framebuffer (memory) and runs it through a codec to generate a compressed file.

There would be no reason to have settings such as this in a config file unless the game feature(s/d) video capture.

It is quite possible that it is just something they had for development (To record testing runs) but removed for release. Removal could be due to licensing issues.

I know what a Codec is... It was just a theory I had in mind that IF you do run something such as FRAPS, the codec embedded somewhere in the game binds with FRAPS. You never know, BIS is full of surprises. But I don't know. T'was just a theory :).

Thread renamed, having "<videorecorder codec="xvid" halfsize="1" config="1" framerate="30" /> " in a title is not really what I call a descriptive topic title.

Thread renamed, having "<videorecorder codec="xvid" halfsize="1" config="1" framerate="30" /> " in a title is not really what I call a descriptive topic title.

It's not even something that works for me - CTD every single time I choose a codec. Bluescreens on MP4 selection. Interestingly - my Razer video capture works great - even though it looks crap. Any correlation?

There is a video recording function for asynchronous grabbing of video from the game, meaning it goes frame by frame, not real-time, and captures the data. We used this in the development process for certain video cutscenes, though I am unsure whether the functionality works in the release version. Something to consider for the modding tools.