Sign in to follow this  
Gnrl_Grad

Crash when I destroyed enemy carrier

I was playing a strategy game on default settings and I finally caught up with and destroyed the enemy carrier but the game crashed (see screenshot attached). The same tactics work as in beta3 but it does take longer to meet him because there are more islands. Once I got behind the enemy carrier it was just a matter of pummelling it with the main cannon. I don't know if he had any units but I've never seen him launch any, maybe they are destroyed from island attacks? I don't know. All in all a good game though, it lasted a good few hours. But I was losing pretty bad with only 3 islands left so the enemy carrier shouldn't have lost against me so easily.

crash.jpg

Also engaged the carrier (he ran) but he never launched any units.. he just sat at my island til I damaged him enough to run.

At the same time he absolutely raped my units with just beams of super death

Here the game crashed when I destroyed my own carrier by torpedoes (for training purposes). :-)

Same error message.

don't launch ai units against him, they'll fly high and his guns will rip them to shreads. you can attack low with one manually controlled unit or just pummel him with the main carrier gun. once his deck guns are down you could safely launch all vehicles but by then I just use main cannon to finish the job.

I have found out that two torpedoes will sink the carrier - start four Mantas loaded with torpedoes, first guide them away from the enemy to avoid AA fire, then attack in a row. Fire the torpedo manually if the enemy carrier is in sight, then dock. Take control over the second Manta, fire the torpedo manually - and that should be it. If not, try the third Manta and so on. Great fun, even if the game crashes after this. ;-)

Also engaged the carrier (he ran) but he never launched any units.. he just sat at my island til I damaged him enough to run.

At the same time he absolutely raped my units with just beams of super death

The same happened to me so I had 3 Walruses left. Let's just say I wasn't a happy bunny and ran at him like Usain Bolt.

I encountered the enemy carrier twice so far and I managed to shred him into pieces with my carriers onboard guns each time. Ok, once a manta of mine helped a little bit (steered manually). But there was no crash after those (glorious) victories, so at least your problem isn't typically.

But my disappointment about a not existing - yet promised (see this forum thread) - sinking animation of the enemy carrier is almost unlimited. A simple "You have won!" message isn't by far gratifying enough for all the hunting, planning and fighting for a milestone victory like that. BI, I really like CCGM a lot (I even bought it three times now, just to show you my appreciation) and the final product is without a doubt a very good game (not the least comparable to that pathetic Beta 3 you provided us with), but without the sinking animation the game is just not complete. An appealing ending is a must, even BioWare had to learn that the hard way...

There's no sinking Animation??? But there's a sinking animation in the trailer they released a week before the release.

It starts around 1.49

Yes, you're right. There is one in the trailer. But it's not in the game. Well, at least it wasn't shown to me even after I destroyed the carrier. Twice. As victory condition I selected both "carrier" and "all islands". But nevertheless I felt kinda betrayed even though I haven't conquered all islands at that point. There is a victory message but not a real victory...

I got the sinking anim in strategy mode when I turned off destroying the enemy carrier as a victory condition.

Did I get that right? When destroying the enemy carrier is compulsory, you don't get the animation? Hmm. Doesn't sound right to me. Besides the animation should be played no matter what victory condition you selected. It is basically THE VICTORY, why not celebrate it adequately?

Update: I defeated the enemy carrier today a third time in strategy mode. Still no crashes - the game runs exceptionally smooth. This time the sinking animation was presented to me, though. I used the same victory conditions as before, but this time I sunk the sucker by using Mantas equipped with torpedos. I do have to apologize to BI, the sinking animation is available, it just doesn't show all the time...

Edited by ScareYa
Update

I encountered the enemy carrier twice so far and I managed to shred him into pieces with my carriers onboard guns each time. Ok, once a manta of mine helped a little bit (steered manually). But there was no crash after those (glorious) victories, so at least your problem isn't typically.

But my disappointment about a not existing - yet promised (see this forum thread) - sinking animation of the enemy carrier is almost unlimited. A simple "You have won!" message isn't by far gratifying enough for all the hunting, planning and fighting for a milestone victory like that. BI, I really like CCGM a lot (I even bought it three times now, just to show you my appreciation) and the final product is without a doubt a very good game (not the least comparable to that pathetic Beta 3 you provided us with), but without the sinking animation the game is just not complete. An appealing ending is a must, even BioWare had to learn that the hard way...

Huh? There should be a whole cutscene about the carrier sinking. Just to clarify, you are playing the full version, correct? And you have double-checked your ccsettings.xml file in your documents/CarrierCommand folder that it has <gamemode run="full" /> not <gamemode run="beta" /> correct?

Thanks for answering.

I checked it, and yes, <gamemode run="full" /> is the line in my ccsettings.xml file. There are no remains of the beta on my drives. Well, at least not that I know of - there might be some registry entries which I don't be aware of, but I deinstalled the beta before installing the full version. On the other hand I had trouble with strange key assignments in Beta 3 - maybe there is something on my system after all.

Anyway I had no cutscene twice, but yesterday all of a sudden there was one. I am working on another carrier showdown, but that "bitch" is occasionally hard to catch... (which is good actually :))

Thanks for answering.

I checked it, and yes, <gamemode run="full" /> is the line in my ccsettings.xml file. There are no remains of the beta on my drives. Well, at least not that I know of - there might be some registry entries which I don't be aware of, but I deinstalled the beta before installing the full version. On the other hand I had trouble with strange key assignments in Beta 3 - maybe there is something on my system after all.

Anyway I had no cutscene twice, but yesterday all of a sudden there was one. I am working on another carrier showdown, but that "bitch" is occasionally hard to catch... (which is good actually :))

Strange that it did not play twice, perhaps you accidentally skipped it? If not then it's a bug, it's meant to play when you sink the Carrier. If it fails to play again, please try to write down reproduction steps, I'll try to reproduce it locally. Just for the record, the problem has never occured for me, which is why I ask. :)

I got that error from post 1, everytime at random in the full campaign game. Game Version V1.02.0037. But I like the game very much and the plot very much better than that one of Hostile Waters. Especially the beginning. The assist command works to my surprise ok. And the path creating feature with the shift key is great !

Thanx. Looking forward to some further patches (perhaps ?).