Sign in to follow this  
harbinger

Trying very hard to love this

But I just can't.

Been waiting nearly a quarter of a century for a remake, this game has it's good points - and lots of them!

The downsides outweigh the good though. Sadly, am deleting until the next patch. Unplayable for me.

Sorry to say this BI - you really screwed this up. Wish you all the best for fixing things, I'll be interested to play again when the bugs are gone.

Hmm - yeah I agree. I wont delete it (is HD space still an issue for people nowadays? I'm surprised...), but in the current state, the game is unplayable for me - going to check back after a few patches.

Space on an SSD is always at a premium - although deletes just make it worse ;) I just had a ragefit - thats all - have now reinstalled and am working on why things are bad instead of getting all pissy about them.

i'm afraid it won't be better... the longer i play the more problems i get... In my case those are not bugs per se, but more bad design choices and what feels like lazy programming to me..

You know, that is really odd. I haven't found many bugs... One actually (crash) which was reported. The Walrus pathfinding isn't a big deal for me as I only trust a computer to drive something when I know nothing will shoot at it - and the AI seems capable to go from point a to b. Sure it wastes a little time, but its a computer - I don't expect it to be as smart as I am when driving.

I am not fond of the FPS section(s), but overall the game is great fun. I do have some strategic choices that I take issue with (submerged supplies can't be sunk and the bargue is way too fast) - yet the game still draws me in and I have had a blast.

Every design has to make compromises. Overall - they were very effective in keeping the spirit and then adding to it.

Well for me, there is nothing really game breaking. A couple of the movies (BOTH intro movies, the one before the title screen appears and the one at the start of the campaign) were really unsmooth and lip sync was out. In these movies the whole thing kept freezing every second for about .5 of a second making for a very annoying intro to the game.

But the major thing that Bohemia could do to make me a lot happier is giving me the option to disable the film grain/noise effect. I find it strange that I can't turn this off from the main graphics options as most games give me this option if they have the effect at all. Not *everyone* likes the effect you know... I personally don't care for it, especially in sci-fi titles.

In the meantime, does anybody know if I can disable another way? Maybe some config file editing or something?

So far the campaign to me was unchallenging and somewhat cheesy. "Epic orchestral hymn" at every appearance of the enemy? OMFG. A cool saying after your mate was in trouble? Thats the annoying part we usually know from crappy US movies for the masses. Hey BI, we're old Europe!

Anyway, I bought the game for the strategy part.

I'm in the same position - they've made it so you absolutely need the AI to drive a full assault into an island, but the AI turns the walruses into the four stooges. Just... unplayable. I'm not going to uninstall it just yet as I hope there will be patches in the near future, but I sure as hell ain't gonna play it until this is addressed. This was clearly released about 2-3 months too early.

Some other issues:

* The barque is far too small - 4 replacement mantas (which happens a lot) and it's full, and takes ages to go back and forth.

* The carrier drinks like a fish so production (even on maximum speed) is too slow, and takes a whole trip with the barque to fill 'er up. The original had fuel produced separately so you didn't need to clog production of important stuff for the carrier with basic propulsion needs.

* The enemy carrier is gimped just as much as the player in this regard, as my few encounters with it drove it away, and for the next hour it was on fire and trying to get back to its home base, but I was in the way so it just sorta sat there spinning back and forth.

* I hit shallow water in my last game (4 crashes ago) and the carrier kinda shuddered, then was flung off the island at incredible speed, spinning like a top. HILARIOUS.

It's crap releases like this that make people pirate the game instead, a sort of 'try before you buy' approach, which I frankly wish I had done. So disappointed.

I have put around 15 hours into the campaign so far and apart from the well documented Walrus/Manta AI issues and the frequent freezes and crashes, I am enjoying the strategy element much more than I did with any of the betas. What saddens me though is that they did not have time to add many of the things requested at release (like multiplayer and moddability) yet they had time to build the frankly awful FPS element,

You have to play the FPS portion at several points in the campaign and to be honest I have endured it much more than enjoyed it. From a company that makes Arma, frankly this is quite embarrassing. I have played free FPS games that are much better than this. It is such a shame as I think that the strategy element is strong and has enormous potential. I am not quite sure how the decision got made to persist with the FPS element as it will be roundly slated in reviews I fear. I can see what you have tried to do, but unfortunately it is executed poorly. If you have put some of this in the early beta, then you would have known this very quickly!

To reiterate, I am very much enjoying the Island Capture portion of the game and I think that it should be worked on more to make it a really stand out game. Other than bug fixes, I would like to see...

1. The release of the modding tools.

2. Perhaps a 'third' player in the strategy game - something to make it a bit more interesting.

3. Different types of carrier with different loadouts and specifications.

4. More vehicle types.

5. More building types on the Islands which actually affect the functionality of an Island.

6. Better control over the configuration of a strategy game.

7. Multiplayer support.

This is not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, but I am afraid that the FPS element alone will drag the game down with it unless the strategy side of the game can be bolstered quickly with new options and bug fixes.

You know, that is really odd. I haven't found many bugs... One actually (crash) which was reported. The Walrus pathfinding isn't a big deal for me as I only trust a computer to drive something when I know nothing will shoot at it - and the AI seems capable to go from point a to b. Sure it wastes a little time, but its a computer - I don't expect it to be as smart as I am when driving.

I am not fond of the FPS section(s), but overall the game is great fun. I do have some strategic choices that I take issue with (submerged supplies can't be sunk and the bargue is way too fast) - yet the game still draws me in and I have had a blast.

Every design has to make compromises. Overall - they were very effective in keeping the spirit and then adding to it.

Well thats the point you cant trust them to drive alone. It would be one point if they would only suck in combat. But thats not it they cant even drive straight even after the patch. Falling down brdiges, getting stuck on a road.

You cant send a Walrus to a refuel point and hope he gets there at all, or better can get back because he will get stuck and you will need to get him out of there.

Thats the thing thats most annoying. I cant fight with one walrus and can say "okay you guy repair and refuel and come back" you will never see him until you are forced to move hin from a stuck situation on a road, without enemy contact.

"Assist" is even worse, yes they follow you but the moment you shoot they are going crazy and are worthless. Something like" Charging and the AI as backup" is most unlikly to have.

2. Perhaps a 'third' player in the strategy game - something to make it a bit more interesting.

3. Different types of carrier with different loadouts and specifications.

Hey these ideas i like - although the 3rd side would have to be optional and different types of carrier after finishing with the default one for example... Your other suggestions i feel would steer away from the overall Carrier Command feeling, which is one thing they managed to do well...

Edited by pcbflare
typo

Hey these ideas i like - although the 3rd side would have to be optional and different types of carrier after finishing with the default one for example... Your other suggestions i feel would steer away from the overall Carrier Command feeling, which is one thing they managed to do well...

I never played the original Carrier Command so I have no idea where the boundaries are. Also I think that as well as staying true to the original you have to innovate. This is what I think they have tried to do with the FPS portion but I think they should have pushed the strategy side instead.

please try the original, it's pretty amazing thing considering the year of release. You can run it in dosbox. Although i would like to see certain changes, adding more unit types would really stop being carrier command - it would just become another average strategy. This game can only got good reviews if the reviewer is considering the original i think. Every review without good knowledge of the original wouldn't be fair. - Exactly because there is not many units etc... Like i said, the units, the island system, the carrier micromanagement - it's all inherited from the original Carrier Command, and that's the way it should be. I'm not against larger changes, but it should be some special mode.

please try the original, it's pretty amazing thing considering the year of release. You can run it in dosbox. Although i would like to see certain changes, adding more unit types would really stop being carrier command - it would just become another average strategy. This game can only got good reviews if the reviewer is considering the original i think. Every review without good knowledge of the original wouldn't be fair. - Exactly because there is not many units etc... Like i said, the units, the island system, the carrier micromanagement - it's all inherited from the original Carrier Command, and that's the way it should be. I'm not against larger changes, but it should be some special mode.

I have the boxed versions somewhere (I think I have a PC and Amiga version) - at the time I had other things going on and never got around to playing it. I will dig out the PC version and try and get it running.

I agree that there should be a 'classic mode' for the purists and then an 'expanded mode' for the extra stuff and then a 'mod mode' for running fully modded versions.