Sign in to follow this  
rcmw

Warzone : Operation Black Viking

Warzone : Operation Black Viking

blackvic.jpg

Randomly created mission where British Forces try and secure the Zargabad region.

Description:

British Forces at a forward patrol base try and secure the Zargabad region from insurgents.

I have always liked the idea of the ACM (ambient combat manager) but thought it suited insurgency warfare much better than a conventional war with units spawning all around you randomly. Also by its self its a little too random so I created this mission with simple objectives and a bit more random unit creation.

This mission is designed to be random every time it is played with different levels of resistance at each point and different hostile forces spawned to defend each area as well as changing levels of the ACM and random IED placements.

Deaths of your men and resting at the FOB will raise the level of threat at a random location and patrolling within the area lower the threat.

Features:

Different every time

Random IED placement

Random unit creation as well as the ACM.

Counter Insurgency warfare

Installation:

Extract the .pbo file(s) to your ArmA2 Operation Arrowhead\Missions folder

Credits & thanks:

Everyone who answered my many questions on various forums could not have done anything with you.

Requirements

Arma 2

BAF

Download

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=17744

I am working on a few other mission using a number of the BIS modules that I plan to release soon, also once the frame work is done it is relatively easy to change the units and locations in the missions so if people would like specific addons or maps I maybe able to do that. (planning on doing a desert USMC version soon).

I know I've only just released this but I've already found a few small bugs so here is version 1.1

Change log

Mission key should now work correctly.

Radio notification when an area is secure.

Adjusted friendly spawn locations to stop AI getting stuck.

Few more IEDs to threaten the player.

full voice acting added as well as a few tweaks to the IED game play that should make it more fun with less cheap deaths.

1.2 Change log

*Auto saves added

*Radio commands to add transport and Artillery support to the SOM in case it plays up

*IED detectors added (a warning beep when IEDs are near)

*Added sounds from SaOk's excellent The Battle Of Zargabad mission

*Fully Voiced!

I wish to thank Sako, Poacher, and his voice actors for their sounds.

Operation black Viking 1.2

Edited by RCMW

This really sounds good. too bad I don't have BAF..

You could always do it with BAF lite.

Is this single player or COOP?

Installation: Extract the .pbo file(s) to your ArmA2 Operation Arrowhead\Missions folder

The other ones I'm working on are

Warzone : Operation Continuing Hope

The same as Operation Black Viking but with US troops at a different F.O.B. with the random elements though it shouldn’t play the same. This will still need Arma 2 though, as I like my US forces to carry M4s.

Warzone : Task Force Dragon

A bit different, as a Delta team you must search randomly placed camps across Takistan to gather intelligence on the insurgents. The more intelligence you have, the more camps will be marked on your map. Once you get the highest level of intel an enemy VIP will be located who you need to kill.

Other ideas are welcome!

Would there a happen to be a way to remove the loadout changes to the US Army guys? I already have my own replacement mod that makes them use M4s (as in the burst ones, from RH pack)

Warzone : Task Force Dragon

Maybe not camp searching,but house raids in the towns? For me it sounds more realistic.Sorry for my english...

Interesting concept; played it this afternoon and had a lot of fun. One thought though: it sometimes feels like random. ACM spawns enemy troops to close to the player which kills the immersion somewhat. I'd prefer if the enemy forces would be spawned outside the map and are given some objectives like recapturing the control zones or atacking the base. Maybe tracking and neutralizing the player unit.

Nonetheless, I see a lot of potential here. Thanx for sharing.

@Karatekid

At the moment Task Force Dragon has you looking in some outdoor Camps, enclosed compounds and a few houses.

Its a little trickery to get the AI to spawn correctly in houses when you have lots of random locations, units type and number variables; but I'm working on having a few at least. Also Arma 2 is not the best shooter for realistic room clearing. Inside walled compounds in towns/villages is much easier and will make up the majority.

@ Guess who

The mission is really a frame work for the BIS ACM and that has limited options, at the mo its set to spawn no closer than 300m but that’s still kinda close, I can increase the distance but too far and you will never see anyone, 300 I thought was the best balance. The random units I have created with a script, will always start a bit away and move to the area the player is paroling to find him (with the exception of the city areas where they will sometimes start inside buildings). I've thought about making one with only units I create but that will take a lot of work, so maybe in the future.

Been trying to think of a way to make it Co-Op but the way it works the player is the centre on all the spawns and triggers, a second player or even playable unit would only work if they stayed close to the primary unit. Also both the ACM and SOM modules don’t like multi player much and become much harder to manage.

Adding auto saves too, and an option to turn off IEDs since some people have been finding them frustrating (if only we could do that in Afghanistan :-) )

Yeah,i understand what do you mean.The compounds,and the farms are good to,maybe player just have to go inside for intels(maps,cases,etc.),and the guards will be outside.But i think you understand what i mean. : )

1.2 now out full voice acting added as well as a few tweaks to the IED game play that should make it more fun with less cheap deaths.

1.2 Change log

*Auto saves added

*Radio commands to add transport and Artillery support to the SOM in case it plays up

*IED detectors added (a warning beep when IEDs are near)

*Added sounds from SaOk's excellent The Battle Of Zargabad mission

*Fully Voiced!

I wish to thank Sako, Poacher, and his voice actors for their sounds.

For the US Army version, will there be MRAPs? The immersion really needs some type of up-armored convoy option.

Would there a happen to be a way to remove the loadout changes to the US Army guys? I already have my own replacement mod that makes them use M4s (as in the burst ones, from RH pack)

You seem to have missed my question.

You seem to have missed my question.

It is simply a mater of deleting a few lines of code so should not be hard. If you message me your email ill send you a version direct and properly update the main Warzone : Operation Continuing Hope download when I release version 1.1 with the two options.

For the US Army version, will there be MRAPs? The immersion really needs some type of up-armored convoy option.

For now i'm trying to make the 1st one add-on free, you will have a striker and a few other armoured transports.

I will play about with adding stuff soon. I like the MRAPs idea and will properly have it on a new map maybe. USMC will be next to get a mission, then I'm not sure.

Thank you for uploading this mission! It was fun to play and has a cool concept. A coop version would be highly appreciated. I'd love to play this with a friend or two. (Maybe two four-men teams would make it easier to play/command using the jackals?) Anyway just a wish of mine. If it stays this way it's also nice. I'll play it again. THX

Just so you know, I am a currently serving member of 3 Yorks (just returned from Afghan too), so if you want any advice on ORBAT or the like, just ask.

Ok, I'm now working on a Co-Op version of this mission, its not a simple matter however because the BIS modules I used to make this (SOM and ACM) don't work in Co-Op very well, so I'm having to wring a lot more custom scripts.

With luck I will have a Co-Op version out soon ish for a number of maps, I have plans to have a version for for a Zargabad, Chenarush and Sangin maps but will just have to see how it goes.

I'm also not sure if it worth doing it for Arma 2 or if I should try and get it going on Arma 3 but until Arma 3 has some good insurgent units and desert maps I will probably stick to Arma 2.

@RCMW - Great Mission. Really enjoying it. One question: is there a way to rearm the tank or Striker? I'm not seeing any ammo trucks around the base and no ammo drop in support.

Thanks!