Sign in to follow this  
luizsilveira

Brazilian Armed Forces (small coop missions/campaign) - updated to v1, parts 1 and 2

I'm very happy to announce v2.0 for both parts 1 and 2. Now with two versions each (one with and one without controllable ai - details below).

Also, part 3 is nearly done and I'll soon start testing. It will be a CoTvT (45 players on Brazilian side versus 5 players + AI on the other).

638px-Brazilian_FN_FALs.jpg

The project:

I had the idea to build a campaign based on Brazilian armed forces (mainly Army and Marines). After research and quite some help, this is what I could come up with so far. It's not quite ready but I'm releasing it to get further feedback.

The main limitation is the availability of both units and equipment. There are some blue helmet Brazilian units but, for starters, I didn't want to restrict the idea to UN-type missions. These you'll find on the mission were the closest units and loadouts I could come up with while keeping the mods/add-on list short. As a matter of fact, you only need ACE/ACRE and the Lingor to play it.

Series Overview:

Features:

- Equiment and loadout mimicking Brazilian forces' operations;

- Full ACRE support;

- ACE features, including ACE wounds and revive;

- Choice of features under mission parameters. Among others:

a) you can choose to have revives or not and, if so, the timer (shorter or longer time before wounded unit is deceased);

b) you can choose whether to limit medic actions (revive, morph, epi, medkits) to medics only or allow any player to perform them;

- spectator mode for dead players;

- JIP is supported and now teleport works fine;

- Random enemy positions and patrols. Depending on your luck you might get a really hard mission or a walk in the park, but most instances should fall somewhere in between permitting some replayability and keeping everyone on their toes;

- Random enemy loadout script. Enemies might receive any weapons within a range of realistic for the region and operation. This also randomizes the missions and their difficulty as you might face thugs with revolvers one time and fighters with rifles the next (although you should get a nice mixture most of the time);

- UPSMON.

Now in two versions:

- "no-ai" for larger coop communities/player bases. Playable AI disabled; no respawn; GDT spectator; slots of dead player became available for others to join in progress (JIP).

- "ai": for smaller coop communities. Playable AI enabled (albeit you can choose in-game to disable it); group respawn (if there is AI alive in your group, players will take control of that unit and resume the mission); slots became unavailable upon unit's death (whether player or AI).

Obs.: all missions are Coop multiplayer. You can play single player, just set a multiplayer game on a LAN and you'll be the only one connected. Use the "ai" version for that.

Required mods: @ACE;@ACRE;@Lingor and CBA

Obs.: if there is enough demand, I'd be happy to edit the mission and make it ace-free (would be playable with OA/CO version of Arma). However, I do think the features brought up by the mod are really worth it.

First mission:

This one is a coop for up to 9 players (a Recon squad). Your team is tasked with conducting a recon of a abandoned airfield that is reportedly being used as a drug-smuggling facility. The recon precedes what might be Brazilian armed intervention into Lingor. It's a relatively short mission.

The mission is is built upon Brazilian army's "jungle units" - technically, Jungle Infantry Brigades (Brigada de Infantaria de Selva, or Bda Inf Sl). For more info and more cool pictures like this one below, click on it:

67449757.jpg

Second mission:

A 13 soldier comando squad, you are tasked to return to Lingor and disrupt enemy activities. The many tasks involve ambushes, explosions, questioning informants and acquiring evidence, along with covering ground undetected and heart-stopping CBQ! What's not to like?

This is a longer mission compared to the first, and demands quite a bit more in terms of both planning and proper tactics. You will be tested!

This second mission is inspired on the Brazilian 1st Comando Batallion (1° Batalhão de Ações de Comandos, or 1° B A C) which is part of the Special Operations Brigade (Brigada de Operações Especiais, or Bda Op Esp):

1205472595_f.jpg

Downloads:

Mediafire:

- CO09 BRA1 - Airfield Recon v2 (no playable ai, no respawn)

- CO09 BRA1 - Airfield Recon v2ai (playable ai, group respawn)

- CO13 BRA2 - Disrupting Traffic v2 (no playable ai, no respawn)

- CO13 BRA2 - Disrupting Traffic v2ai (playable ai, group respawn)

Armaholic mirrors:

- CO09 BRA1 - Airfield Recon v2

- CO13 BRA2 - Disrupting Traffic v2

Known bugs and wishlist:

-

I have noticed some units (including civilians) stop midwalk while patrolling some times, especially at the start of missions. They stop for a few moments, then resume. I can only think it's my (dual core and a bit old) CPU not coping with the strain. I'd like to know if other people spot this problem, and if anyone has ideas for a solution.

This doesn't seem to happen in other computers indeed, just on mine.

Other than that, I think I fixed all the known issues. If there are still some, they are unknown - so please do report if you find anything!

Closing remarks:

My idea is to make more missions, possibly linking them into a campaign featuring the Brazilian operation in Lingor. However, for that to happen, I need feedback from you guys! I didn't want to make the second mission yet, i.e. before making sure the scripts and features work and, above all, that the mission is fun to play.

Please let me know what you think of it, including balance issues etc., and if you have any info about Brazilian units/equipment/loadout/operations, please do get in touch!

If someone is a modder and would like to work on some simple Brazilian units, he can already be sure they'd be put to use!

Many thanks and I hope you have fun. Other missions will soon follow, let me know if you have any ideas!

Edited by luizsilveira

fyi, Vilas has a mod called "Weaponholders" where he has some woodland BDU troops armed with Brazilian-used equipment.

here are the classnames..

"VIL_RW_soldier_wood", 	
"VIL_RW_soldier_wood_falp", 	
"VIL_RW_soldier_wood_mag", 
"VIL_RW_soldier_wood_CG_falp",
"VIL_RW_soldier_wood_AT_falp"
"VIL_RW_soldier_wood_ofic_falp"

fyi, Vilas has a mod called "Weaponholders" where he has some woodland BDU troops armed with Brazilian-used equipment.

Many thanks, Mark!

I've downloaded his work and tried to contact him already. Let's see.

I'll have a closer look into the models and weapons. I have found Brazilian weapons packs, the problem sometimes is to get the ok to distribute them.

I knew the US woodland and it would be my unit of choice to depict standard Bra army. The jungle units, however, look a bit different and I think were decently represented by the USMC FR units I've used. I'm open for disagreement though :)

As for weapons, the jungle units use the PARA version of the FAL anyway, and that's on the OA. To depict the regular Bra troops I'd need the regular FAL though. That's pretty much what's missing; well, on top of Brazilian national weapons (from IMBEL) and vehicles.

Thanks for the help! It's very helpful information for me to keep assembling the puzzle.

Edited by luizsilveira

Many thanks for the feedback guys!

I've released both a newer version of it, and the first tester for the second mission!

Changes in mission 1:

- Small bug fixes and objective detection was enhanced;

- The random loadout script, as is described in the OP above. No more high tech for the bad guys - just yet in the campaign ;) Plus, you'll find different enemies with different weapons every time around - albeit the weapons are chosen from a pool of realistic choices for the area and operation.

Mission 2 is at night, and involves a main objective and several side tasks. They are all independent so the failure of one doesn't stop you from trying the others. You may also chose the order you want to try them, etc. I hope you guys have fun! This second runs at night, so not exactly the same atmosphere as the first.

For mission 3, I might go for a larger Op (around Coop 24) with the Brazilian Marines (fuzileiros navais). Still planning though, and up for suggestions ;)

Thanks for sharing this luizsilveira! Uploading to the Comrades in Arms ACE coop server!

Thanks for sharing this luizsilveira! Uploading to the Comrades in Arms ACE coop server!

Thanks for letting me know! It makes me very happy as the CIA has been recommended for me more than once, by different people. I almost played with you guys, downloaded the repository and all, but something always came up. Let me know what do you think if you play it! Oh, by the way: I've played Bitter Memories a while ago with a friend, we had a hell of a good time :)

Meanwhile, after quite some testing I'm releasing v1.0 for both parts 1 and 2. They are indeed a bit similar, as it's the same geographical location (sort of) and same insertion method. Different loadout however, and different tasks/objectives. Part 2 is much larger, longer and tougher than part 1!

Changes from previous versions include mainly polishing a lot of stuff, bug fixes, UPSMON tweaking and the like. Plus I tried to make sure all endings work fine (there are multiple endings for both parts, but no outros unfortunately).

Part 3 is almost done. It's a larger coop (CO45) mimicking a platoon (minus weapons support squad) of Brazilian Marines. What still needs to be done is only some testing, and figuring out how to make if playable (if at all possible) by smaller groups. Well, there are 3 squads + HQ, so it's playable with 4 people as each would get command of a squad of 12 AI (except HQ, which consists of 6 people). That would be "fine". I don't know if anyone is trying to play these SP; I'm thinking about including high command so the leader can control the other squads that way, but it would be good to know if anyone will play it like that at all :)

Many thanks for all the support, so far I like the result quite a bit.

I've updated both parts 1 and 2 to v2.

One major change is they both now have 2 slightly different versions each:

- "no-ai" for larger coop communities/player bases. Playable AI disabled; no respawn; GDT spectator; slots of dead player became available for others to join in progress (JIP).

- "ai": for smaller coop communities. Playable AI enabled (albeit you can choose in-game to disable it); group respawn (if there is AI alive in your group, players will take control of that unit and resume the mission); slots became unavailable upon unit's death (whether player or AI).

Other major changes/fixes:

- Slots don't disappear anymore (thus the addition of "no playable ai" versions);

- Spectator mode now works perfectly, with the addition of GDT (most noticeable on the non ai version);

- JIP teleport now works perfectly;

- CO09 BRA 2 has been revamped for CO13;

- One of the tasks was not always completable on BRA 1 and has been fixed;

- Several other minor tweaks and changes.

- Sandi framework added in preparation for my next mission (which will be CoTvT);

Many thanks!

Updated on the CiA ACE coop server! You are welcome to join us whenever you can. We are having great games lately!

Thanks for your kind words about "Bitter Memories" luizsilveira, do you know that your post is about the first online player reference for this mission? It's just an example to how important a feedback is hehehe... I always thought people didn't like it because no one ever gave any feedback for it. I'm really glad you liked it!

We played the recon airfield mission. We checked the aircrafts and found some intel and proceeded to the village. One guy was apprehended but from this point we didn't know how to proceed as no objective was ticked.

Thanks again for the missions!