Sign in to follow this  
T.S.C.Plage

Wood logging, taxi, fire fighting and crop spraying missions

I'm actually wondering why you haven't included missions in which you've to transport logged wood, provide simple taxi flights from A to B, exstinguish forest fires and spray herbicides/insecticides over crop fields?

All the mentioned missions even have DLC potential if you'd throw in some new helicopter types and equipment. That the fire fighting stuff works is already shown by the existing mod for ArmA.

Besides that it wouldn't be to difficult to expand the rescue/emergency mission with some other "scenes" like car accidents, aircraft crashes, accidents at construction sites and so on.

Honestly the actually available singleplayer and carreer missions get boring quite fast.

I want to see a helicopter strong enough to slingload an Abrams. I tried to hook one up this morning with blakeace's mod, and as soon as the connection was complete it basically caused a strange feedback loop which, long story short, drags my chopper straight to the ground - best case scenario. That would be my first choice of a new DLC - something to flesh out the ArmA 2 integration a bit more fully to allow scenarios like that.

Fire fighting would be great also, I suppose either one is fine as far as I'm concerned. Crop dusting seems like it'd be pretty cool too, and could go along with that, so consider your suggestion seconded in that regard.

Lastly, the user community could really make a LOT of these things as it is right now. Many of them won't even require addons that don't already exist, if any at all. The problem is there's not that big a userbase for TOH as of yet. As the Arma 2 community figures out that this is really Arma 2.5, that might hopefully change.

There are no helicopters out there that can carry 60+ tons. ;)

Yes, you're right the community seems to be quite small and rather active. Besides that the feedback from the devs also isn't what it could be or better said what I'd actually expect from BIS staff.

Yeah, even the almighty Mi-26 can't carry something like that. With the new patch I'm sure slowly but surely people will begin to see a greater interest in TKOH and what it offers.

You gotta remember that this game is primarily a civilian helicopter simulation. :)

I think logging, crop dusting, and fire fighting would fit perfectly.

The CH-54 or better the Erickson Air-Crane would be a perfect fit for wood logging, fire fighting and heavy lift scenarios.

Basically every helicopter can carry a water bladder. That's not the point. The Erickson Air-Crane is something special because of all the available acessories for it.

gunFm.jpg

9SEfn.jpg

Besides that it has a very interesting feature. An additional cockpit (control stand) that is facing backwards for better overview of the load.

I know. But I'm just stating. They wouldn't have to do much work to turn the Huey that's already in the game into a firefighting huey.

With Huey you mean the "medium" helicopter in TKOH or the UH-1H from ArmA2? I'm asking because I wouldn't call the first a Huey. Actually it doesn't even represents an existing helicopter. It looks a bit like a Bell 429 but that's it. But yes, it could be used to sling-load a bladder.

I'd love to see all of this in the game. I'd also really like to see search and rescue (using FLIR in mountainous/forest terrain to find missing/injured people), suspect tracking (using a searchlight to illuminate the perp for the police and maybe using FLIR for some missions) and missions which require landing on a ship at sea (preferably with some rocking motion). Cattle mustering (like they do here in Australia) and hunting (well, flying hunters, allowing them to hunt) would be awesome too. Some of these ideas were mods, but the links are long dead.

I agree that it's disappointing that there aren't more side missions - especially side missions which make use of the helicopter upgrades (FLIR, searchlight, etc).

Maybe a take on Aircrane expansion:cool: I am really enjoying TOH since I got it 3 weeks ago and I would love to see some more lifting and maybe firefighting missions . This is the only dedicated helicopter game out there and I would hate to see it finish with out more updates. I think it has potential and would love to see it keep going

Rhys

Well saying it doesn't represent a Huey is like saying a fake Rolex doesn't represent a Rolex.

There are some differences; the window layout around the cockpit seems to have microscopically different aspect ratios, there are extra stabilizers, the tail rotor is on the opposite side, and the engine has sloped rather than straight intakes.

I think this can all be considered nitpicking as those things can ALL easily differ between variants; this is just a hypothetical variant of a Huey as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: SORRY! I got off topic with that. Uhh.. there is a set of taxi missions out there actually, it's integrated into the campaign so that funds directly go into your campaign account. I think it was released as an addon rather than a mission; check armaholic if you're interested.

There, something slightly relevant, even if I was too lazy to pull a link ;)

It's actually a closer resemblance to a bell 412. Which is the great grandson of the Huey or UH-1. The Huey was a single engine variant or the bell 205 Iroquois, with a 2 bladed teetering rotor system. The next generation added airframe improvements and the addition of a second turbine as the bell 212. Further advancements in the airframe and 4 bladed rigid rotor system led to the bell 412. TOH doesn't have bell licensing so there are small details that are not exact representations of the actual aircraft, hence "medium" helicopter.

** but yes, as far as the helicopters included with vanilla TOH, the military medium helicopter does resemble a Huey **

Edited by zentaos

I don't really think it matters how they look. But Medium 412, light MD500D. At the end of the day I hope that more missions are created, it would be a shame to see the game come to an end.

I really think the devs need to get the attention of hovercontrol members. A few more tweaks on the flight model, and the community will embrace what TOH has to offer.

I really think the devs need to get the attention of hovercontrol members. A few more tweaks on the flight model, and the community will embrace what TOH has to offer.

There was a flight model tweak/mod for ToH from one of the guys over at hovercontrol, but it was for a much older version of ToH. I don't think I've seen any more ToH stuff over there, unfortunately. I'd love to see hovercontrol members interested in ToH - they do such amazing things with FSX and they could surely do great things with ToH too.

There was a flight model tweak/mod for ToH from one of the guys over at hovercontrol, but it was for a much older version of ToH. I don't think I've seen any more ToH stuff over there, unfortunately. I'd love to see hovercontrol members interested in ToH - they do such amazing things with FSX and they could surely do great things with ToH too.

Yes, Nightsta1ker had done some initial tweaks with a few other members of the boards here, but I think they all lost interest. The FM has definitely improved from 1.01. It has a ways to go, but it's definitely improving.

There is a small fire fighting mission I downloaded from this site. I was wondering if it was possible to edit the mission so I can change helicopter and location. The post mentioned you can open the mission in the editor but not sure how you do that. Here is the mission I am referring to http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?128319-SP-put-the-fire-out

Cheers

Rhys

There is a small fire fighting mission I downloaded from this site. I was wondering if it was possible to edit the mission so I can change helicopter and location. The post mentioned you can open the mission in the editor but not sure how you do that. Here is the mission I am referring to http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?128319-SP-put-the-fire-out

Cheers

Rhys

Just download the files from the second page of the thread you mention (links on the first page are dead). Place "watermisc.pbo" into a modfolder of your choice, i used [toh directory]\@FF\AddOns. Then put the "watered.United_States_H" file in your [users\my documents]\Take On Helicopters\missions folder.

You will have to either add @FF to the -mod parameter of your startup line; or, if you don't want to/don't need to, simply enable @FF from the ingame list of Expansions (assuming you don't have a custom startup line)

Now you should simply be able to open the Seattle map in your editor and load "watered" as one of the missions. From what I read on the other thread, though, changing the helicopter can mess with some of the configs - but moving locations should be no problem at all.