Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

*** important virus warning ***

Story source: http://news.com.com/2100-1040-940174.html?tag=fd_top

Nimda worm feeds on popular game site

By Reuters

June 27, 2002, 4:25 PM PT

Some video game players got a nasty surprise this week when they downloaded software from a popular online gaming site--the Nimda computer virus.

The installer for GameSpy Arcade 1.09, the main file exchange and gaming software of GameSpy.com, was infected with the Nimda virus twice this week, GameSpy Chief Executive Mark Surfas told Reuters.

Surfas said the virus infected one of their download servers for two hours on Tuesday and five hours Wednesday night, while they were performing routine service.

"We were doing some maintenance, and we let our guard down," he said, adding that the company, which provides thousands of downloads every day, has never had a similar incident.

"This registers with us as a serious, serious error," he said. "We're pretty upset about it. This is not cool."

Surfas said a total of 3,100 infected files were served, and the company is in the process of notifying everyone who got an infected file and pointing them to free antivirus tools that will disinfect their systems.

He also said the company has not received any reports of computer users suffering any damage from contracting the virus.

GameSpy.com is operated by GameSpy Industries of Irvine, Calif., which is best-known among gamers for providing the back-end infrastructure, like software and servers, to power popular online games like "Soldier of Fortune" and "Medal of Honor."

Two weeks ago, Microsoft revealed that the Korean-language version of its software for development of online services was also infected with the Nimda virus, though the company said the virus was dormant and in no danger of infecting anyone's computer.

Nimda, which first struck in September of last year, is estimated to have cost up to $500 million as corporations cleaned up their networks.

Most antivirus software programs have had the ability to detect and eliminate Nimda since the outbreak.

mmm that is bad. mad.gif But i dont think i got it-but to make shure, i'll run a virus scan-to be on the safe side. smile.gif

o well i hardly go that much, after all gamespy isn't really that great at all unless you have a really fast internet connection. just wish that ofp could host its own online gaming site so that we wouldnt have to play on gamespy, ya know kinda like what tribes 2 has, and unreal tournament.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Duke_of_Ray @ June 28 2002,17:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What does the Virus do exactly?<span id='postcolor'>

Please see THIS entry on NIMDA.A on Symantec's Antivirus Research Center site.

What kind of loser takes the time to distribute a virus like that!?!

What do they gain!?! Unless it's a company that can profit off this... Like Microsoft.

Tell me truthfully, you don't acutally think they did that on purpose, do you? Incidents like this cost the companies involved a lot of money and trust.