Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

PMC Ulah-Yuryakh

Imo it looks like someone didn't like to make different tree density - just put a repetitive "forrest pattern" script on and hope no one mind the artificial nature.... at least some dirt roads and few settlements/small villages would have been nice.

I do agree a bit, the whole map looks more or less the same, including the hill heights. I tried to add some buildings in the editor, but they kinda look artificial too in the environment cos there are no paths leading to them. Some military camps/outposts would fit in the scene though so it's definitely a usable map!

You can import them from another tool. My guess is that he just used World Tools although I may be wrong about that. You can make a 4096 x 4096 with a terrain resolution of 10m. If you do a 1m/px sat map that is a 40,000px x 40,000px sat map which I guess probably isn't out of the range of a good computer. Or you could just do a 2m/px sat map at 20,000px x 20,000px which I would think many computers could handle. Anyway I will stop taking guesses and let him explain himself if he so chooses.

Well, certainly all of us import stuff from another tools... cause V3PE isn't enough...

Some years ago I've been told that engine could handle huge terrain sizes on VBS and it would be pretty much the same at A2 series ... this is the proof of concept regarding that A2 engine can handle 4096px heights that V3PE should manage, but can't :(

It's relevant though that you can place an object where we haven't been able yet cause buggy tool has been provided

Anyways, if we do not receive any answer on this matter I think is because we are not supposed to know it, I mean, we can't know it, we shouldn't ...

So let's try some guessing... engine use some sort of table with objects data: coords, orientation, heights and sizes.... right?

Let's suppose that some guys could know how to "access" that data where you can manage what's going on in there... basically if you could retrieve or handle this objects data base (a huge list)... just imagine something like a calc tool spreadsheet or any DB application... then, you could copy&paste your relevant info... I mean airstrips, roads, bla, bla...and "insert" them into your table...

Something quite closer to open a pew file, made some arranges inside it, and then close it... does it sound familiar to you ???

Now the proper question is: Will we have to wait for a "working class hero" to provide us with that magic tool cause Visitor was meant to do it but won't ????

Saludillos!

Well, certainly all of us import stuff from another tools... cause V3PE isn't enough...

Some years ago I've been told that engine could handle huge terrain sizes on VBS and it would be pretty much the same at A2 series ... this is the proof of concept regarding that A2 engine can handle 4096px heights that V3PE should manage, but can't :(

It's relevant though that you can place an object where we haven't been able yet cause buggy tool has been provided

Anyways, if we do not receive any answer on this matter I think is because we are not supposed to know it, I mean, we can't know it, we shouldn't ...

So let's try some guessing... engine use some sort of table with objects data: coords, orientation, heights and sizes.... right?

Let's suppose that some guys could know how to "access" that data where you can manage what's going on in there... basically if you could retrieve or handle this objects data base (a huge list)... just imagine something like a calc tool spreadsheet or any DB application... then, you could copy&paste your relevant info... I mean airstrips, roads, bla, bla...and "insert" them into your table...

Something quite closer to open a pew file, made some arranges inside it, and then close it... does it sound familiar to you ???

Now the proper question is: Will we have to wait for a "working class hero" to provide us with that magic tool cause Visitor was meant to do it but won't ????

Saludillos!

Couldn't we just make a 20m x 2048 and then copy the objects and do a paste absolute onto a 10m x 4096?

The one problem I can think of with that method though is that if you have a lot of objects it might not be able to pull it off.

Edited by Jakerod

Why don't you just contact Snake Man by PM and ask him how it's done?

First of all, thank you all for commenting, nice to get some feedback at least sometime, appreciated guys.

Here is couple of generic answers for repeated questions, then below is the more specific answers.

There are no villages, cities or populated places because this is wilderness terrain, its beyond the scope of this terrain to have such locations present. It was said earlier that there are tons (basically all, heh) user made terrains which include all the populated places anyone could want.

Also this terrain wasn't supposed to even exist. This was a spinoff from another terrain that initially wasn't planned for release. So its kind of luck that we have this terrain available now, it could have been just one dir amongst many in my terrain developing directory :)

I have the source files for this and I'm more than glad to give them out to anyone if someone wants to make "third spinoff" to place some populated areas and tweak it to their liking, of course as mentioned you cannot MOVE objects in the far right side of the terrain due visitor 3 bug.

Anyways, this terrain is "as is" and there are no further plans for it.

How bit is it exactly?

40km x 40km

This one makes a refreshing change from the usual "desert" terrains the Big Map Guys tend to go for

Not at all, I've done more Vietnam Jungle than desert terrains, so I won't agree that large terrains are mostly desert, perhaps it feels that way because ArmA 2 Takistan is so popular right now.

how can you place those trees without using V3PE ?

I coded my own command line utility to place objects randomly (no GUI).

There is also tons of other methods to place objects without Visitor 3, like using WrpTool and export objects from the WRP etc.

just put a repetitive "forrest pattern" script on and hope no one mind the artificial nature

Nobody places forests one object at the time.

You got your answer now, we have always been open about anything, check our PMC Editing Wiki and you'll find tons of information which we have made available to help anyone interested of editing etc.

Will we have to wait for a "working class hero" to provide us with that magic tool cause Visitor was meant to do it but won't ?

Wouldn't even have to be magic, but user friendly and working replacement for visitor 3 would be great.

Many Thanks Man! SnakeMan!

For me, nowadays magic lies in coding stuff... as only tweaking things at console level you could hope to get rid of current gaps found in official editing tools just like V3PE... it's seem to be "clear" enough that's how things work today...

But do we have to know how to code our own command line utility to place some objects (randomly)? If you let me keep speculating out loud... I could start to think about x,y coords (randomly if you mind) and stuff... meh... but that remains pretty much the same I already said before... then, to deal with an engine readable database... just to merely put into my island the model I want/need, wherever I want/need -and since I allegedly can do according to official editing tools-, I should have to know how my source file -yes, pew file to keep it simple- is built... but that shouldn't matter to mapper dudes right? or should do? It's not lack of interest... but convenience instead...

Thus, this PMC terrain release, as far as I am trying to currently know, serves to demonstrate that if you want to make a 4096x4096 px height terrain you should have to go deep into coding stuff... just to achieve what you are looking for... a tiny, simple, humble airstrip, just to say... lol :eh:

So, I just can still await for any magician, wizard, a patch if you mind, or a working class hero... just like many of our brave comrades who dare to see their stuff posted as stickies into terrain editing thread...

Many thanks for this release BTW... you give us hope somehow... you know...

Thus, this PMC terrain release, as far as I am trying to currently know, serves to demonstrate that if you want to make a 4096x4096 px height terrain you should have to go deep into coding stuff... just to achieve what you are looking for... a tiny, simple, humble airstrip, just to say... lol :eh:

So, I just can still await for any magician, wizard, a patch if you mind, or a working class hero... just like many of our brave comrades who dare to see their stuff posted as stickies into terrain editing thread...

Many thanks for this release BTW... you give us hope somehow... you know...

See my last post. I and at least one other terrain maker (one who is quite well known and very very good at what he does) think that the way I described should work. As I said before, objects may be an issue but it depends on how many you have and how many you try to import at once. 2048 x 20m is probably the best way to do it. Then you just copy and paste sections or export. I suppose that maybe I should do a proof of concept one. We'll see if I have time tomorrow.

@Jake: yes, certainly what you said works as you say...

And that's why this PMC terrain is so relevant because it fairly shows that A2 engine can effectively handle a 4096 px height map... so let's avoid off-topic matters

EDIT: whooooaaaa!!!! Now I got it...:dancehead: you and B -who else?- are saying that keeping coords at same meters grid should do the trick... yeah... that's right... and it works...

That's my clutch method: I mean, I've been translating terrains into a higher standard and it worked flawlessly... well, sometimes some abs height placed objects remain a bit in the air -in centimeters- but it's understandable since terrain becomes a bit fine tuned...

I'm gonna make a test on a 10km terrain at 2.5 meters grid... I mean 2048px height at 5 meters grid ... that's a hell of a job anyhow... I mean, it could just take about a year to finish something like that properly... but a sandbox version -or wilderness, whatever- should be fine also...

EDIT2: I made all possible tests and everything worked flawlessly... even more, I put objects all over the place in every possible corner in a terrain with same size as this PMC terrain (4096px at 10 m grid).... nothing wrong happened... atm I'm making a PBO -will take a while-... this is really intriguing me BTW... cause the last time I tried to place objects in a terrain with this size I did always get fatal errors and V3PE crashed... and other dudes were having same issues either... was it fixed and nobody noticed it yet ???... why does Snake say that his PMC terrain can not be edited in V3PE? Does it anything to do with current PC specs??? Now I have more available RAM ... but V3PE doesn't consume as much resources as A2 itself...

Edited by Robster

EDIT2: I made all possible tests and everything worked flawlessly... even more, I put objects all over the place in every possible corner in a terrain with same size as this PMC terrain (4096px at 10 m grid).... nothing wrong happened... atm I'm making a PBO -will take a while-... this is really intriguing me BTW... cause the last time I tried to place objects in a terrain with this size I did always get fatal errors and V3PE crashed... and other dudes were having same issues either... was it fixed and nobody noticed it yet ???... why does Snake say that his PMC terrain can not be edited in V3PE? Does it anything to do with current PC specs??? Now I have more available RAM ... but V3PE doesn't consume as much resources as A2 itself...

I've been able to do 4096*5m terrain without crashes. I'll do a quick check now by placing objects in every corner. Bulldozer loading at the moment so I will soon export it and .pbo it.

edit: Working it seems :) I was never aware that this was a problem so I never encountered it!

Edited by Pfhaota

What do you mean, is the "right side bug" still here ... or not ?

What do you mean, is the "right side bug" still here ... or not ?

My fault. It seems like it' still there...

I did a PBO and everything went fine... up to 1600 kms terrain with big TV towers spread all over around and everything working with no issues...

ooops!

Now I re-open V3PE and I can't select objects in troublesome areas... weird bug... I have red defaul artificial objects at right side of terrain, when I make a selection over them they get white borders as usual, but I can't take or move them... so, basically, once these objects are placed you can't move them again...

hahahahahaha

HOWEVER, this happens in my D test, I mean the final 40x40km at 10m grid terrain (4096 px heights) ...

In my C test, which is 40x40km at 20m grid terrain (2048 px heights), I can move the same objects at the same relative coords (x,y) (!!!!)

So, at this point, I can conclude that we can make a huge terrain as PMC demonstrated, but everything should be done in a C type terrain (at least for 3/4 of terrain) and then you should export objects into the final D type terrain...

As you have to run an import/export objects script you will notice that size of objects will be affected by D type terrain template, which poses an additional constraint to use custom size against default size... so import/export process might be not as accurate as needed... that's our mapper life though...

EDIT: Confirmed. In D type terrain I can move and select objects located at top left corner which is 1/4 of total terrain, so there are no excuses to edit that area -aprox. 20 sq.kms-

So, I want my wilderness airport runway right now!!! :681:

Saludines mis washas!

EDIT2: I'm starting to think about a "road to Jalalabad" -Asadabad would fine anyways- since I always wanted a bigger Clafghan... f*ck yeah!

Edited by Robster