Sign in to follow this  
160thSOAR

Getting Started with Modding

Hello everyone. I'm interested in learning how to make mods for ArmA2. I realize that it won't be easy and that I probably won't be able to do much for quite a while, but it's something I've always wanted to do. I've tried to find information on it on my own by searching the internet, but information for complete beginners seems to be very sparse. I found an article at http://tactical.nekromantix.com/tactical/wiki/doku.php?id=arma2:beginner_editing_guide that was helpful to at least get my head around extremely basic stuff. However, I don't have enough background information to understand most articles I find.

So, a few questions.

• Does anyone have some documentation to help me get started?
  • What are the modding related websites (DevHeaven for example) and what are they used for?
  • What sort of skills do I need to start modding? I have a very basic knowledge of Java and HTML as of right now.
  • Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Big task ahead of you.

Not because it´s witchcraft, but due to the points you already know: no.damn.documentation :rolleyes:

So, a few questions.
  • What are the modding related websites (DevHeaven for example) and what are they used for?
  • What sort of skills do I need to start modding? I have a very basic knowledge of Java and HTML as of right now.

I´ll try to answer your list in a helpful manner:

1: Not centralized, scattered all over the web, no links at hand atm, sry.

This forums editing section might be a good start though, read read read: http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?92-ARMA-2-amp-Operation-Arrowhead-EDITING

2: DevHeaven is mostly for distribution, a central place where mods can feel at home and not get lost after one year or so.

Back in the day OFPEC was the #1 adress for all editing related questions, but time has taken it´s toll on them too. They´re still housing a great staff and it would´nt hurt asking around there aswell.

3: Eyes that don´t bleed after watching textfiles for hours & hours.

4: Never give up. Mods can (and regulary will) take up to 4 years from idea to release, ofc depending on the mods size.

I´ve seen geniuses master all arts of modding in a matter of few months, and seen others (myself) fail at learning simple scripting during 10 years.

There´s those & those. Find out who you are :D

You probably want to focus on one area as a start like

• Mission making
  • Scripting
  • Config tweaking
  • Modelling
  • Terrain development

I think for right now I'd like to focus on 3D modelling and maybe a bit of texturing. Everything that I'd like to be able to do right now is largely based on that. Some things that I'd eventually like to be able to create:

• Certain Israeli Defense Force vehicles
  • Future Combat Systems Manned Ground Vehicles family

However, I realize that these will be a long time coming and I will need to start with something much simpler to just learn the ropes. That's really the problem I'm having now, that I can't find any way to get myself into modding without throwing myself into a project that is really way over my head. I don't have a person who I can really go to to ask questions if I have them, which makes it worse. I just feel rather lost right now.

Hello everyone. I'm interested in learning how to make mods for ArmA2. I realize that it won't be easy and that I probably won't be able to do much for quite a while, but it's something I've always wanted to do. I've tried to find information on it on my own by searching the internet, but information for complete beginners seems to be very sparse. I found an article at http://tactical.nekromantix.com/tactical/wiki/doku.php?id=arma2:beginner_editing_guide that was helpful to at least get my head around extremely basic stuff. However, I don't have enough background information to understand most articles I find.

So, a few questions.

Thanks!

I think for right now I'd like to focus on 3D modelling and maybe a bit of texturing. Everything that I'd like to be able to do right now is largely based on that. Some things that I'd eventually like to be able to create:

• Certain Israeli Defense Force vehicles
  • Future Combat Systems Manned Ground Vehicles family

However, I realize that these will be a long time coming and I will need to start with something much simpler to just learn the ropes. That's really the problem I'm having now, that I can't find any way to get myself into modding without throwing myself into a project that is really way over my head. I don't have a person who I can really go to to ask questions if I have them, which makes it worse. I just feel rather lost right now.

As previously said, modding is a very general subject. Even if you just 3d modelling. Of course, you should familiarize yourself with the tools and the basic polygon based modelling technics and workflows.

1. Documentation to get you started: I was actually preparing such docu when RL stole most (read all) of the freetime from me. Maybe sometimes in 2013 i will continue it, if i refind the drive for it.

Even so, it would be easier if you would post here what software do you plan using (if it is just O2, then you are a bit out of luck, since information regarding modelling is in this vertex based software is pretty scarce). I would recommend you dive in into one of the industry's standard software package instead (i know there are some like Myke, d12, vilas messiah etc that use exclusively O2 for modelling around here, but most of the other guys use proper modelling software).

You can find a lot of info around the web, the bigger the userbase, the more info you will find.

My personal recommendation would be Blender or Max/Maya (you can get them for free non-commercial educational licenses). Of course there are are softwares out there, but none of which are actually free. Stay away from sketchup i when possible.

for starters, i recommend this, although expect a lot of tech talk here: http://wiki.polycount.com/

2. Modding related websites: best bet is the editing forums. Second best bet is armastack (a lot more trafic than ofpec these days).

3. It depends a lot on what you plan achieving. A useful perk is patience.

As to what you want to start with, i would say go for something that has an easier outcome and doesn't take months to finish. Something like a environment prop (be it barrel, or pile of garbage, or a small doghouse of some sort) will come in handy to make your hand and get the very basics.

Edited by PuFu
fo' myke ;)

@ PuFu:

1. Thanks. What you said here was by far the most helpful information I've found yet. I had no idea that there was any software other than O2 that I could use.... I think I'll get started using Blender (just downloaded it) and take a look at its documentation. Good way to pass the time, since I have a 2nd-degree burn on my hand plus five stitches in my face, so I can't do too much else right now.

2. All right. So that's what ArmAStack is ... I've seen links to it in some signatures around here.

3. I do have some patience. I was able to finish writing a novel about a year ago, so sticking to a task is not really a problem. I think I'll get started by trying to make a shipping container.

Thanks a lot for that page, it was the only thing that I could find that was dumbed-down enough for me.

Blender's manual is quite detailed and helpful; I really like it.

Gnat, thank you very much for that wonderful link. I got started using it tonight and have made my first box. However, I'm not sure where I should create the "crate" folder to save the 3D project and place the textures.

When I installed the BIS Editing Tools pack, it created a P:// drive on my computer. In that drive are some locked folders, bulldozer, and some other stuff. Is this where that folder belongs? I think it is, but I don't want to mess up and have my computer do something screwy.

Thanks!

EDIT: Fixed the first problem I think, but now when I try to finalize the texture, I get a message saying: "Background Mapping Error - maybe invalid mapping region specified or no texture is selected." Any idea what's going on?

Edited by 160thSOAR

I hope these can help you:

Tools:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BI_Tools_2

Oxygen 2 Personal Edition for Arma II - model editing and animation package

Visitor 3 Personal Edition for Arma II - terrain and map editing

TexView 2 - texture convertor and viewer

BinPBO Personal Edition - packer

Sound Tools - sound and lipsync utilities

FSM Editor - tool to edit and compile fsms used in Arma 2

BinMake - conversion tool

Tools Drive - main working directory for tools with mandatory data files

ArmA Edit

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1455&highlight=ARMAEDIT

pastebin - collaborative debugging tool

http://pastebin.jonasscholz.de/1478

AddonChecker

https://sites.google.com/site/macsarmatools/addonchecker

Squint - the sqf editor and error-checker

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?105860-Squint-the-sqf-editor-and-error-checker

Notepad++

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Many other tools, related to PBO's

https://dev-heaven.net/projects/mikero-pbodll/files

Tutorials

http://www.armaholic.com/plug.php?e=faq&q=36

======================

I built a mod called WarMod, then several variation compilation mods, basically using the standard mod format, and then gathering almost all the addons and mods from the

community that deals with gameplay, effects, fixes, AI, ect,. and put them all in one mod, made it so that they all work together, pretty amazing stuff,

but just a creative idea, about all you need to start is an idea, some inspiration, and definatley enough energy and momentum to keep you on it,

basically having a reason why you want to build it.

Alot of modders start off building mods for themselves, i did this for my mod, but then realized I got more satisfaction giving to the community,

and seeing their response and enjoyment, then made me want to better and make more mods, Im sure alot of modders can tell you their story,

but the community, would be happy to see what your creativity can bring about.

I have a question if you don't mind me jumping on the thread here..

I've been following the tutorial Gnat linked ^ there, but I've been reading around that starting 3D modelling with O2 isn't that great of an idea. Should I use Blender or another program to learn instead?

My opinion, not that you asked...is that Oxygen is much more easy to use when trying to put in accurate coordinates for buildings and things like that, especially when you have very detailed information on the actual item you're trying to model.

As far as using blueprints to implement while forming the basic shape of the model, Oxygen is not that great for setting said blueprints up. Modo, 3DS Max, Blender, etc. are much more accepting of this area. By what I read here on the forums, there are things in those programs that also allow for splicing and slicing, cutting and mirroring that Oxygen may not always be able to compete with.

In my experience thus far, I try and model almost entirely in Oxygen, and switch over to Luxology Modo for things that I can't accomplish in O2. It may be that I just don't know the intricacies of Modo or 3ds as of yet, and they may prove to be better all around. I have read also that texturing and UV unwrapping are easier outside of O2.

I hope this didn't confuse you, but in the end, if you are a quick study of programs like 3ds, modo, or blender, I'd also say start to learn them, but I for one am stuck in O2 for now.

Good luck.

Thanks Raptor 6, I'm going to stick with O2 for now, and once I feel I've gotten a basic grasp of it and it's tools, I'm going to fool around with Blender or 3DS etc. Thanks again for the advice

If you don't mind, let me add one more thing.

Take for example my 700 Series World War 2 barracks. I have blueprints with measurements that give me basic sizes. I know that my beginning "cube" in O2 needed to be 80 feet long by 29.5 feet wide. It's a two story building (and here in the United States, most floors are generally 10 feet high including rafters and subflooring) so after converting feet to meters, I enter in my info. From there, you can pick a corner vertex and start copying and pasting from one point to the next, until you start seeing the general shape your wanting (ie-doors, windows, etc.).

This may be confusing you, and I didn't mean it that way. My point is that O2 for me is great because I can set specific vertices where I want them. It just takes time and patience.

Keep heading in the direction you are, I'm sure the community will continue to give advice and answer any problems you may have....I know they have for me.

As a exclusive O2 user, let me add that i would advice everyone not to start with O2 if possible, better directly go for Blender or another Software.

Why? As complete beginner in modelling, it doesn't make a huge difference if you have to learn O2 or Blender or any other modelling software. But once you get the grip of it, it becomes harder to switch since you're so used to the workflow of this program. From my own experience, i tried Blender several times but gave up really quickly as i even couldn't rotate the scene/viewport. I thought, the time it needs to get a grip of Blender, i could make 2 models in O2 in the same time.

Now, i don't care if making a model takes one day or one week, it is done when it's done. And also i'm a old fart and you can't teach an old dog some new tricks. ;) So take this "advice" with a good pinch of salt.

I think for right now I'd like to focus on 3D modelling and maybe a bit of texturing.

You should at first take a look at this great O2 tutorial from Gnat (watch through all of the parts) and see what you've to deal with if you want to bring models into this game. It's not an easy task. Be warned! ;)

Myke;2230090']As a exclusive O2 user' date=' let me add that i would advice everyone not to start with O2 if possible, better directly go for Blender or another Software.

Why? As complete beginner in modelling, it doesn't make a huge difference if you have to learn O2 or Blender or any other modelling software. But once you get the grip of it, it becomes harder to switch since you're so used to the workflow of this program. From my own experience, i tried Blender several times but gave up really quickly as i even couldn't rotate the scene/viewport. I thought, the time it needs to get a grip of Blender, i could make 2 models in O2 in the same time.

Now, i don't care if making a model takes one day or one week, it is done when it's done. And also i'm a old fart and you can't teach an old dog some new tricks. ;) So take this "advice" with a good pinch of salt.[/quote']

Know what you're talking about. Learning/adopting to navigate in Max, Maya and UDK for example isn't really fun as all of them use their own controls. It's a bit like learning to play the drums, a piano and a guitar at the same time.

Btw, I consider myself an old fart, too.