Sign in to follow this  
Mr Butlertron

Expendables 2/Military Tech question

In the new Expendables film at one point Stallone surveys the road to the mineshaft with a pair of binoculars that highlight human sillouettes with a red box, similar to the console Ghost Recons. Do augmented reality binocs/monocs like this exist in real life? My first thought was no but then I think of all the cameras that can automatically focus in on subjects' faces.

Right now you can already buy thermal Imaging binoculars for the civilian market for less them 3000€, I see no problem im Combining this tech and the one we know from Digital cameras into one "augmented reality" device that is still not larger than a 8x56 Binocular. There are even cheap 100€ monoculars on the market that have integrated Digicams with IR Night vision...you can order amazing stuff from China already ;)

Are these monoculars actually good for anything? Could be a nice thing to have on night ASG games.:) Anyway, there are TI cameras that highlight thermal signatures of living beings in red, so I'd assume making such binocs shouldn't be impossible to make.

No, those CCD Night vision devices using an IR iluminator are not really usefull outside of purely civilian use like securiy cameras for dark parking lots at night etc. beyond 60m you see nothing. If you're looking for serious night vision devices you need at least someting with a amplifier tube n the gen2+ range...you can get such devices in the 800€ range from russia. The CCD nightvision monoculars are more like toys still, but gettign better as soon as CMOS will be used instead of CCD but still...night vision by using amplifier tube and infrared iluminator is around since the last year of WWII so that's really nothing amazing anymore. Even back in the 90's when such system where still in use it was well knows that if you switch the IR iluminator on you could as well use a white light flashlight.

Edited by Beagle

Get an IR laser illuminator mate.

That will boost your range immensly.