Sign in to follow this  
ChilledSanity

Only 2 units?

Not that the game doesn't look amazing, and im definatly going to get it but...will they add things to it later after the game is released? like downloadable content adding new things, but 2 units....

Well keep in mind it's a remake. So I'm sure UEC vs. APA will probably not be extended... it's the core of CC! But they said they make it moddable; I think we can expect more islands at least. Of course BI knows better :)

Well keep in mind it's a remake. So I'm sure UEC vs. APA will probably not be extended... it's the core of CC! But they said they make it moddable; I think we can expect more islands at least. Of course BI knows better :)

On the xbox? Because this definatly wont work on my pc lol.

Not that the game doesn't look amazing, and im definatly going to get it but...will they add things to it later after the game is released? like downloadable content adding new things, but 2 units....

I think this is the main problem for people that are maybe seeing this for the first time. Carrier Command is what it is and has always been, two different vehicle classes. This remake does at least offer a fair bit of variety for these two types, but to change things completely by adding lots of vehicles is betraying the original a little too severely. If the franchise establishes then I could see this maybe explored but thankfully BI has been sensible and kept things mostly as they were for this remake

ADROPACRICH2, you are talking complete nonsense!!!

"betraying the original"?! I don't see how adding more variety to a great game and making it even better will be "betraying the original"! Remake or not, this is a new game, and it has to have new features. If you are so nostalgic that you will reject features that will make the game better, you shouldn't bother with a remake and just stick with the original game.

dontpKanic there is no need to be unfriendly. Calm down and take your pills. It's a valid approach to stick closely to the original game.

I think there is plenty of tactical/strategic variation with the two unit types and the different roles they can play. Any more might make things overly complex or result in redundant unit types.

Well keep in mind that they have said that you can modify and customize those two units. In the trailer and even screen shots you can see the walrus with different weaponry. Depending on what they put into the final build you might be able to put together some crazy stuff. Maybe make that mantra be fire support on this sortie and maybe a scout the next.

Also looking at the pics of the carrier itself, it looks like maybe helicopter like craft might be added later, or that helipad in the back might just be for show.

dontpKanic there is no need to be unfriendly. Calm down and take your pills. It's a valid approach to stick closely to the original game.

In that case BIS should cut out AI for all units under player's command. How can it stick closely to the original game otherwise?

To be fair you effectively have 3 types of each unit by swapping the armour, plus you can change the loadout enough so each has very different capabilities - and that is just from what we have seen in the BETA. In the full game there are also some sort of Drones as well, although we have not seen them in the BETA.

I don't think the game will suffer from lacking anything else .. .. ..

G

The walrus/manta/carrier can be quite a handful, I think troops will play a part but not really sure on that, the heli pad moon2587 mentioned might be used to transport troops?

ADROPACRICH2, you are talking complete nonsense!!!

"betraying the original"?! I don't see how adding more variety to a great game and making it even better will be "betraying the original"! Remake or not, this is a new game, and it has to have new features. If you are so nostalgic that you will reject features that will make the game better, you shouldn't bother with a remake and just stick with the original game.

The thing is here, there are new features that appear to have been sensibly put in place by devs wanting to stay true to the original formula. It's quite different in ways while also staying true at it's core. The addition of more vehicles isn't a bad one but CC's design works on the basis it was informed from. Simply adding more effectively changes the type of game it is. Personally I like the two vehicle approach as much as I like the idea of more vehicles but changing it up so drastically this way means CC could become something else

Anyway BI's work is sold as a reimagining of CC and with that comes respect of what it is people love of the original. For fans generally it's expected that core remains

Hopefully CC will be successful enough to allow another in the series that possibly explores the aspect of more, providing it doesn't sacrifice CC's charm- I mean it's easy to imagine a Command+Conquer style game in this way but for many would result in a different game altogether

Edited by ADROPACRICH2

Here's the unit info page http://www.carriercommand.com/game/units/ - the defence drones are in the beta but I think not the scout one. Interesting to read what the defence drones do because I didn't know.

They attack incoming Walruses (I believe) -and detonate against them. Once they explode, if you have spares, replacements will deploy.....

G

The thing is here, there are new features that appear to have been sensibly put in place by devs wanting to stay true to the original formula. It's quite different in ways while also staying true at it's core. The addition of more vehicles isn't a bad one but CC's design works on the basis it was informed from. Simply adding more effectively changes the type of game it is. Personally I like the two vehicle approach as much as I like the idea of more vehicles but changing it up so drastically this way means CC could become something else

Anyway BI's work is sold as a reimagining of CC and with that comes respect of what it is people love of the original. For fans generally it's expected that core remains

Hopefully CC will be successful enough to allow another in the series that possibly explores the aspect of more, providing it doesn't sacrifice CC's charm- I mean it's easy to imagine a Command+Conquer style game in this way but for many would result in a different game altogether

Firstly, sorry if my first comment came out a little violent and assaulting, I didn't mean it to be that way.

Secondly, I am a fan of a lot of deep strategy games, and I absolutely LOVE micromanagement. I like to fine-tune the smallest details and make things fit exactly my play-style. For me, more units would add to the strategic and tactical decisions I would need to make in-game.

I still don't really agree with you, because in my opinion, adding something new to a game that makes it better and more fun, even if it doesn't completely follow the formula of the original, is still a good thing to do, because, lets face it, we want a good game and not a blind re-creation of the original.

For me, as long as the feature makes the game more enjoyable and deep, it is worth implementing even if it differs from the original.

Besides, I doubt that adding more units to the game is such a drastic change. It's not like the core game-play will change as a result.

I think adding more units would be quite drastic though, the mantas and walruses are a huge part of the core game play. If you add more units for variety or even more strategy options you risk complicating the game more and diluting the original formula which plays so well as it is. That's not to say improvements and changes shouldn't be made over the original but adding additional units is dangerous territory that could alter the games play style quite dramatically. Carrier command is an action/strategy game hybrid so it's not full on action like an fps and it doesn't involve as much micromanagement as a dedicated strategy game might either but it instead tries to play the balance between both.

Firstly, sorry if my first comment came out a little violent and assaulting, I didn't mean it to be that way.

Secondly, I am a fan of a lot of deep strategy games, and I absolutely LOVE micromanagement. I like to fine-tune the smallest details and make things fit exactly my play-style. For me, more units would add to the strategic and tactical decisions I would need to make in-game.

I still don't really agree with you, because in my opinion, adding something new to a game that makes it better and more fun, even if it doesn't completely follow the formula of the original, is still a good thing to do, because, lets face it, we want a good game and not a blind re-creation of the original.

For me, as long as the feature makes the game more enjoyable and deep, it is worth implementing even if it differs from the original.

Besides, I doubt that adding more units to the game is such a drastic change. It's not like the core game-play will change as a result.

I suppose it's how you look at it too. The variations of guns and armour effectively make the vehicle different in this version of CC in ways different than the original. That to me isn't straying too far from where I personally want this game to be. It could be argued that different vehicles is what we have now regards to vehicle variations and really at this point, is it warranted with this in place. A version could exist like you say but would that then mean people also expect an increase to vehicles in play? and if so, are we really talking about the same game at this point. Personally I'd love to play Halo Wars this way for example or any rts in fact but for now I'm just happy Gaea is in it's current mostly unchanged state

I guess people will want different things from this

But they said they make it moddable; I think we can expect more islands at least. Of course BI knows better :)

Recently things have been moving to allow modability of much more than just islands.

On the xbox? Because this definatly wont work on my pc lol.

Unfortunately modability is not possible on the xbox.

Well keep in mind that they have said that you can modify and customize those two units. In the trailer and even screen shots you can see the walrus with different weaponry. Depending on what they put into the final build you might be able to put together some crazy stuff. Maybe make that mantra be fire support on this sortie and maybe a scout the next.

Yes, you can equip various armor, weapons (ranging from a machine gun to a plasma cannon) and some additional upgrades as well.

Also looking at the pics of the carrier itself, it looks like maybe helicopter like craft might be added later, or that helipad in the back might just be for show.

The helipad at the back is for the Scout Drone, an unmaned, helicopter like unit for remote viewing of an area.