Sign in to follow this  
-=seany=-

Problem with new mouse steering conflicting with using keyboard to steer

If you get in a vehicle, mouse steering is on (FreeLook off) and if you move the mouse, it turns the wheels. Now if you decide to turn

Free Look on and drive with the keys, the mouse steering continues to override any keyboard input for up to about 10 seconds.

I was trying to just live with it but it is becoming one of those things that happens every time I play and makes it feel like the game is

fighting you.

Example of a situation:

I am in an m1a2 on a hill in gunners position. I suddenly notice a Hind on a strafing path toward me, I jump into drivers seat and start to

move off. I inevitably move the mouse to try to look around, I realise Free Look is off (by this point I have already given a steering

command with the mouse by accident). I turn Free Look on and try to drive with the keys. However, the last input I gave with the mouse is

over riding the key steering commands. I die beacuse I can't control the vehicle, it wont let me steer with the keys for up to 10 seconds.

Expected behaviour

if I turn on Free Look it should also cancel mouse steering immediately and allow the keyboard to have full control.

Other possible ways of circumventing this problem:

1. Give a game option that lets you choose to have either Free Look on or off by default when you get in a vehicle. (Regardless of this bug, this might be a good option to have anyway, I never steer with the mouse)

2. If you get in a vehicle and set free look off, it should remain off, even if you switch positions, maybe even if you leave the vehicle and get back in. (compromise if it can't be fixed)

Bug report:

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/49655

Edited by -=seany=-
added DH link

Thanks for the thread,

That new mouse steering is very annoying ,especially when driving a tank and even more when trying to do some fast maneuvers to escape attacks,it starts swaying for like 5 secs ... i just can't get along with it,give us a way to switch between it and what was before !

Agree. Even though I use trackir I never use the mouse to steer, kb only. If I nudge my mouse by accident its a struggle to get the vehicle under control again.

Yeah, I hate it too, but I feel that it's here to stay. When driving boats it seems to work well, but for land vehicles I just can't get used to it. I would like to see a toggle or setup option for it.

I don't mind that is exists, just that is causes problems when switching to keyboard steering and Free look. I used to use mouse steering a lot in OFP. But since Arma 1 I just use keyboard and free look (I guess because of the better situational awareness Freelook gives when playing tough missions). I even use TrackIr but prefer to have Freelook on also, and steer with the keys.

I don't want this to be an "Anti (new) Mouse Steering" thread :), thanks for the feedback though.

Edited by -=seany=-

I don't want this to be an "Anti (new) Mouse Steering" thread :), thanks for the feedback though.

Not my intention! The majority spoke when they trialled it in the beta and I am happy to live with the majority decision! Fortunately most of the time I play as a grunt or I am flying choppers so it doesn't bother me too much!

Yeah, I hate it too, but I feel that it's here to stay. When driving boats it seems to work well, but for land vehicles I just can't get used to it. I would like to see a toggle or setup option for it.

It works great with boats

It needs to be optional. Just like when you get in a vehicle it should be an option to have mouselook (mouse controls vision not vehicle movement).

As I and a lot of people currently, just into a vehicle, then have to press alt twice to do this. A considerable number of people dont even know you can do that, they just assume your stuck looking forward.

If you get in a vehicle, mouse steering is on (FreeLook off) and if you move the mouse, it turns the wheels. Now if you decide to turn

Free Look on and drive with the keys, the mouse steering continues to override any keyboard input for up to about 10 seconds.

I was trying to just live with it but it is becoming one of those things that happens every time I play and makes it feel like the game is

fighting you.

I drive with the keyboard. When i get in a vehicle, first thing i do is get my free look. No problem. If i get in and bump my mouse or move my mouse for whatever i will turn where the indicator is. Have to set the indicator in center... BUT if you hit the free look while turned its turning anyways, and have to remove freelook and center again.. Always hit your freelook before moving the mouse. Not a issue with that habit/technique.

Guys, you can get rid of it with the following re-configuration of your controls:

• switch your mouse steering option from "more left/more right" to "left/right" like for keybord steering. This gets rid of the new steering cursor and method.
  • set weapon crosshair to off (or use expert diffulty), this gets rid of the vertical freelook when using the mouse for steering which otherwise will be persistent.

I know that's not a real solution but a workaround. We need an option to disable it.

I never thought about changing control assignments for mouse, that might work thanks.

in Take on Helicopters there is an option for just that...or at least that option enables freelook when you enter a vehicle... maybe it will be some day also in A2? who knows

Really? I love the new mouse steering.

And I haven't had any trouble whatsoever with free-look and mouse steering getting in each others way or one persisting, or whatever. Works perfectly.

To put back to the way before Bi changed it (for what reason idfk)...

Left and Right for mouse steering is bound to 'Car more Left/Car more Right' (stupidest change ever made in A2)

So go to... Controls > Vehicle Controls > unbind Car more Left & Car more Right from the mouse and replace with 'Mouse Left & Mouse Right' and you're back to normal.

Edited by i76