Sign in to follow this  
jeza

What game campaign have you gone back to complete multiple times?

As the title suggests.

I was playing through the Vietcong campaign for maybe 20th plus time last night as I enjoy immensely and it made me think how many others have I gone through, which led me to think, 'i wonder how many other people complete campaings but keep going back to them'.

Also until recently I have not used mods either when repeating , the standard experience is enough. Campaigns i've completed on multiple occasions are, Vietcong 1 & expansions, tom clancy's: ghost recon1 & expansions , rainbow six rogue spear, rainbow six 3, world in conflict, operation flashpoint and expansions also the swat series, mafia 1&2, I guess many more as well, also notably a lot of the times I have not deviated to much from what I had done previously. Most of them by the looks of things are liniar to an extent there's only so much you can do differently, I guess it has a lot to do with content, atmosphere and empathy or being engrossed in the subject with the storyline, which all I mentioned above did to a big extent for me,

So as mentioned, what campaigns have you guys gone through many times and why?

Jeza

I often find my self replaying OFP, Grand Theft Auto games, Far Cry 1 & 2, Fallout series, and Skyrim.

Why? Because you can play them differently each time you play and because of the nostalgia. It seems I'm also learning something new each time I go back and play them as well.

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

I also forgot I like to go back and play the Medal of Honor: Allied Assault campaign as well. Best Medal of Honor game ever.

I also remember playing Tom Clancy's Rogue Spear, but I don't have very fond memories of it. I was pretty young then.

Edited by Nicholas

I have played both the campaigns for Delta Force 2 relatively recently. The point was to play through all the campaign missions with just an MP5. Some of them were quite difficult although most of those were only difficult due to CTD problems.

Other than that it is rare for me to go back and replay things. I have replayed OFP:CWC and Resistance a few times though I think.

I forgot, I also went back and did the Goldeneye campaign without ever getting shot (with the exception of the level Control). I got too sick of playing Control over and over again so I just skipped it. I was going to go back through on 00 Agent and beat all of them the same way but only got up to runway because there is a crap load of shooting in that mission and I can't figure out how to avoid it.

Edited by Jakerod

Well lets start:

Mafia 1, (more than 2)

All OFP campaigns

Return to castle Wolfenstein

Raven shield

Freelancer

No one lives forever

Gothic1 and 2+Night of the Raven

Call of Duty+United Offensive (Still one of the best CoDs)

All the GTA's!

and many many more

I generally don't play through storylines, preferring any open-world setting. Two exceptions to this might be Morrowind and Portal however.

Other than that, open games I replay include:

ArmA/OFP

Flight Simulator

Silent Hunter 3

Skyrim

Fallout 3

CWC 1985 and AvsP gold edition marine campaign. Only the two of them and several times.

Amiga: FA18 interceptor

Aproach was always a little different to try per mission and that got me hooked with sim type games

Ghost Recon 1

Was nothing like it at the time and each had a particular flavour as you progressed per mission with cohesive story esp with skill level through campaing of team mates and acquiring new units for your team selection as you moved through it, kept me interested.

Raven Shield

- Was structured in such a way as arma scenarios, so makes it more justified (some say this was a bad thing story telling wise but to me it was the best part), and you could plan and use plans in multiple ways per scenario opened through the campaign so playability wasn't boring to retry.

IL2 1942

Same again, open to multiple approaches to each scenario time & time again.

As you can see there's a pattern with what I like to make something repayable, hollywood style story telling linear format is "fire & forget" as regards campaign or main missions for me, so most like that I have played normally get the once only and then rinse out the MP or maps or mods until un-install.

Edited by mrcash2009

Its not a PC game, but... Front Mission 3. The game have 2 endings with more than 50 hours each one.

A awesome plot, with a good mix of politics and schemings, tactical gameplay and mechas blowing each other.I have spent more than 1,400 hours in this game and yet i found myself taking the dust of my old Playstation just to play it.

And S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Shernobyl.

Apparently, nobody mentioned my personal king of replayability yet: Deus Ex. Incredibly expansive game :p

Deus Ex. I'm now (slowly) playing it for third time.

Richard Burns Rally.

You guys are forgetting part of the question!

So as mentioned, what campaigns have you guys gone through many times and why?

Fine. As you may know, Deus Ex is deep enough that people are discovering new things up to today. That, and it has a decent, if outlandish story. The gameplay is quite open, though I am disappointed that the game isn't completely open worlded. Many times I have engaged in mental masturbation over the prospect of a completely open worlded Deus Ex-type game :yay:

Deus Ex. I'm now (slowly) playing it for third time. Why? Awesome branching story & atmosphere + newspapers, bulletins boxes, e-mails, discussions, ... all well written things that can't be remembered.

Richard Burns Rally. Why? Challenge! More realism every round =P.

EDIT: Whoops. Wanted to make edit but made reply by mistake.

Fallout 1/2

Starcraft 1/Broodwar expansion

Hidden & Dangerous 1

X-Wing

Panzer General

Spellcross

And why? because they are FUN :) But if I should name the most important aspect of these campaigns, that would be definitely atmosphere (with exception of PG where it was all about the simple joy of conquering the world :))

I have played both the campaigns for Delta Force 2 relatively recently. The point was to play through all the campaign missions with just an MP5. Some of them were quite difficult although most of those were only difficult due to CTD problems.

Other than that it is rare for me to go back and replay things. I have replayed OFP:CWC and Resistance a few times though I think.

I forgot, I also went back and did the Goldeneye campaign without ever getting shot (with the exception of the level Control). I got too sick of playing Control over and over again so I just skipped it. I was going to go back through on 00 Agent and beat all of them the same way but only got up to runway because there is a crap load of shooting in that mission and I can't figure out how to avoid it.

Delta Force 2 and Goldeneye were because I thought that both of them would be challenging with the restrictions I put on myself and I really had nothing else to do at the time or was just searching for some kind of break from other stuff. OFP and Resistance I haven't played in a while but I replay them when I do because they're Awesome!

Return to Castle Wolfstein - my definition how FPS game should look like. Perfectly ballanced. Plus I simply love that nazi+occult+superweapons thing. Rule of Cool, baby!

Hitman 2: Silent Assasin - stealth game with sandbox missions, and brute force still beign an option. There's nothing as hard-earned perfect mark for assisanation. Also great music and immersive story.

Operation Flashpoint: Resistance - same as above. Freedom that makes you want to go for perfect results (no firendly casualties in entire campaign in that case)

Earth 2150 + Lost Souls expansion - While missions have normal objectives at the same time you have to deal with economy for entire campaign. All your resources for game is what you manage to dig out or steal, resources and units can (and should) be taken back into main base and used to complete next missions.

Blitzkrieg + addons - well ballanced realism vs accessability, besides who doesn't love tanks :)

Civilization IV - It's crazy how this game can swallow you. It's the point you understand need to put alarm clock IN-GAME. In fact, I don't play it often, because a) I won;t be able to play anything else until reaching 2050 AD and b) because I won't be able to put my mind off it even at work.

Freelancer - badly ballanced, half-finished game with almost-open world, linear campaign and no side quests. And still makes me play it.

Fallout 2 - best of series. Huge and hella addictive. I may have play it more than 20 times, but it doesn't matter, I'll be honest, I play it for dialogues and crazy post-apocalyptic humor, spiced with shootouts in random maps.

TES3: Morrowind - It would take hours to describe how big this game is, and how exelent is in terms of roleplaying, and how simple Skyrim and Oblivion are in comparision.

Gothic 1, 2 and Fallout: New Vegas are special case. Those are games I don't play, because I know every single item location, spawnpoint, trainer etc, becasue I've played too much of them.

Return to Castle Wolfstein - my definition how FPS game should look like. Perfectly ballanced. Plus I simply love that nazi+occult+superweapons thing. Rule of Cool, baby!

Hitman 2: Silent Assasin - stealth game with sandbox missions, and brute force still beign an option. There's nothing as hard-earned perfect mark for assisanation. Also great music and immersive story.

Operation Flashpoint: Resistance - same as above. Freedom that makes you want to go for perfect results (no firendly casualties in entire campaign in that case)

Earth 2150 + Lost Souls expansion - While missions have normal objectives at the same time you have to deal with economy for entire campaign. All your resources for game is what you manage to dig out or steal, resources and units can (and should) be taken back into main base and used to complete next missions.

Blitzkrieg + addons - well ballanced realism vs accessability, besides who doesn't love tanks :)

Civilization IV - It's crazy how this game can swallow you. It's the point you understand need to put alarm clock IN-GAME. In fact, I don't play it often, because a) I won;t be able to play anything else until reaching 2050 AD and b) because I won't be able to put my mind off it even at work.

Freelancer - badly ballanced, half-finished game with almost-open world, linear campaign and no side quests. And still makes me play it.

Fallout 2 - best of series. Huge and hella addictive. I may have play it more than 20 times, but it doesn't matter, I'll be honest, I play it for dialogues and crazy post-apocalyptic humor, spiced with shootouts in random maps.

TES3: Morrowind - It would take hours to describe how big this game is, and how exelent is in terms of roleplaying, and how simple Skyrim and Oblivion are in comparision.

Gothic 1, 2 and Fallout: New Vegas are special case. Those are games I don't play, because I know every single item location, spawnpoint, trainer etc, becasue I've played too much of them.

Hell yeah!

I beat KotOR 1 about 20 times and KotOR 2 about ten times. I enjoyed the story a lot and the whole game was just fun. By the 15th playthrough, there were some relatively long dialogues I knew by heart even though I wasnt trying to memorize them. :D

Hmm OK :)

Morrowind - because that storyline is both storyline AND open world. Rather brilliantly they wove a game that introduced you into a story, then stepped back to allow you to find your own storylines, then stepped back in with an unobtrusive dream-nag that brought you back into the game and from there you could follow the storyline at your own pace, as you did other things. Plus, you could play in different guises, warrior, mage, thief, blends etc.

Portal - a perfectly formed game. Quite short, but perfectly formed. Perfectly balanced humour & jeopardy, and well thought out tasks & puzzles.

Fallout 2, Deus Ex, San Andreas, Vice City, Thief 2, Jagged Alliance 2, Half Life 1&2. Love these games