Sign in to follow this  
Blink Dog

I r not happy

The only way to get a public release of Oxygen and Visitor is to hit BIS where it hurts, their pocket books. Until BIS releases the tools publicly, do not buy resistance. The community has lost too many cool modelers because BIS will not even look at their propositions and portfolios. Go for it ban me, I've had with this stinking forum anyhow.

I am happy. I will buy resistance, damanding stuff for free y should they give its theirs.

BIS has already promised the tools for public, but right now they are in beta state and cannot be released. So just wait patiently and you will get them.

And remember, BIS owes you nothing, they dont need to give you any tools, you paid for the game (I hope you did) and you got the game. Everything else is just bonus (the numerous free addons that already have came out, and the mod tools coming).

I dont think you truly need to "Boycott" them. I think they are being greedy i say buy the "expansion" because I dont think it will sell all that well. OFP wasnt an SMASH hit most people didnt move from there counterstrike playing lifes to even glance at an game (Thats better in ALL aspects) they just dismissed it. I think that YES they are being greedy with o2. But on the other hand the actull skill of most of the modelers are coming out. (Though the P3D hacking for one), and more recent the release of WrpEdit.

hehe on second thought if you put boycott in Cesky than lol maybe they will understand it a little better, though doubtfull...

Have fun with your boycott for it will last the single Month or less that REsistence is ACTULLY on the shelfs until they find out it floped cause the size of the OFP community is no longer what it used to be.

I am going to buy Resistance. Kegetys is right BIS dosnt OWE ous anything. inface we dont even buy the game. if you ever read any game you buy it dosnt say you own the game you bought the right to use the game. BIS dont have to give us O2 it would be like me asking GM to give me a truck because thats what I think they should do. same thing just said a different way. but this is my opion and you cant say i am wrong or right because its a opion

I think you are right about the poor sale comming. Other games have come out recently and quite a few are pissed from the "decision". Personally I cannot model worth shit, but I like to retexture, doing it the hard way with a million different third party tools is the wrong approach. It leads to fuck ups. Look at the Goth chick for OFP . Now this is a model I recently retextured, it only works if you keep the .pbo name and all other file names the same. The p3d is fubar'd and I cannot modify it. It is a retexture of the Terr2 model from the Capt Moore mod. The counterstike reskin I did was easy, I just swaped files in HL model viewer and bingo! new model.

I will buy Resistance because it appears to be an excellent product.

As far as demanding things or you'll boycott Resistance that is the most moronic thing I've ever heard. BIS have already delivered more support for their product than any company I've ever bought a game off.

Wait for the tools to be ready you spoilt twat.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blink Dog @ June 26 2002,07:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">http://www.ofpeditingcenter.com/cgi-bin....4956382

Read, proof that people are leaving the game.<span id='postcolor'>

People come and go every day smile.gif

AFAIK O2 has been released to serious modders already. Kegety seems to have one and other mod teams seem to have one also.

and result?

only small number of serious modders like Kegety, Adammo, LBM(Lost Brothers Mod) and several others come with stuffs that are worth downloading. In other words, ppl are asking for O2 just so that they can do something, not necesarily contribute to community.

WrpEdit, which seems to be as good as whatever BIS has is released and how many islands do we see? not many.

in other words, ppl want it for heck of it, not for contribution to OFP community.

Worth down loading in who's opinion? Yours? BIS's? The addon Nazi's? Please don't give me that worth making horse crap, my addon folder is 635 mb! lots of good stuff out there, some serious and some not.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ June 26 2002,06:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BIS has already promised the tools for public, but right now they are in beta state and cannot be released. So just wait patiently and you will get them.

And remember, BIS owes you nothing, they dont need to give you any tools, you paid for the game (I hope you did) and you got the game. Everything else is just bonus (the numerous free addons that already have came out, and the mod tools coming).<span id='postcolor'>

ooo! ooo! i paid for the game! $45.00 sad.gif

but it was worth it! biggrin.gif

Blink Dog: why hate so much? omg, get over it...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blink Dog @ June 26 2002,07:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Worth down loading in who's opinion? Yours? BIS's? The addon Nazi's? Please don't give me that worth making horse crap, my addon folder is 635 mb! lots of good stuff out there, some serious and some not.<span id='postcolor'>

"some serious and some not."

there's my point. just becuase O2 is openly distributed, it doesn't mean addons that are worth downloading will be only ones that will be made. more crappy ones will be made too.

"Worth down loading in who's opinion? Yours? BIS's? The addon Nazi's? "

community's voice. When Kegety released HAWK and LYNX, nothing but praise came in. Other mods are also great, but from what community views, some are moderately good and some are nice and some are just crap.

no one member is able to say 'this is good and this is bad, but on general, community does seem to agree on what is good or bad or medium.

Hey Blink, nice to see you around.

I don't get what all the bitching is about. People assume that O2 mods will be automatically good, the quality of the add-on depends on the work that goes into it, alot of people aren't that picky when it comes to their add ons. However, I am. I find that most of the addons out there are utter crap, there is no inbetween. The ones made by kegetys and a few others are top quality, but they are few and far between.

I even find that the textures in the original OFP are crappy, I would honestly like to see B.I.S. pay Satchel and Kegetys to re-skin all of the vehicles and weapons.

B.I.S. spent years working on O2, would you give away years of hard work to a bunch of strangers? I hope not. The things we have gotten from B.I.S. are amazing, they have given us add ons and patches when they didn't have to. They are unique because they listen to members of the community. They are even on this forum regularly. Most other developers don't give two shits about their product when it's finished, they just pump-out mission packs and patches that people have to pay for that should have been there in the first place (ala: Redstorm).

Yet people still have the nerve to bitch and whine at B.I.S. when they don't get something for nothing.

I like B.I.S. and I will buy OFP: Resistance. B.I.S. is a rare company, and they get my support.

Tyler

I really don't see how a Resistance Boycot could force BIS to release the tools earlier to the public. If anything it would make the public release of them even more uncertain IMO, because why bothering giving people something for a game BIS doesn't make money with (its a cold world we live in, isn't it?  tounge.gif ) ?

For me it is fun to work on Addons, but unfortunately it doesn't pay the rent, which means I only have a limited amount of time to spend on it. I'm sure this is true for most of the people who make addons and this is the main reason why we don't see many new Islands for instance, because building a good one is extremely time consuming. Give it a try, build a 200m long road with WRPEdit and tell me how much time you needed to do it (or after wich time you lost patience  biggrin.gif )

After reading some posts I agree with others. and kinda disagree

OFP isint the best game out there but I love it because for some thats the closest they were will get to drive a god damn tank or command an army. I dont really care about addons I just like the campaings I love war yes theres not much players for OFP but still people pay for what they like Blink you said that u can model for shit only retexture. the models gonna come out same way as anyother way. you make damn textures in Photoshop 6 and swap them what gives you any idea it will come out differently? maybe you just suck at textureing no offense I ve seen great addons being retextured with 3rd party tools and they dont complaing I dont really care about O2 and I feel sorry they are going to release it to public because than a bunch of fucking bull shits gonna be coming out From people that cant model for crap. And like the one guy said you pay just to play the game you dont own it, its not your game its BIS they just let you play it as much as you want and mod for it.Well it might be in your house or wherever but in reality its not literly your game, you didnt make it they did so no one has to give you anything.

I agree that a lot of the OFP community is now gone, and I do think this is due to BIS neglecting several things. The situation with the tools I'm sure is complicated, but I don't understand what the big problem is with giving the public access to them?

Look at Bethesda Softworks that just realeased Elderscrolls III: Morrowind. The tools they used to create the game were shipped with every copy, the tools also automatically install with the game, & before you even start the game, the screen for the mods comes up asking you which ones you want to enable. So bethsoft actually incurages people to create modifications for the game. Unfortunatly the EULA for Morrowind basically says what we create is ours & what you create is ours, but that's a whole lot better than not having the tools at all.

Another thing that BIS seemed to neglect is the amount of people that want to create addons. I agree that some people just want to mess with the game, and others just put out crap, but some people actaully want to create quality addons equal to that of the game. It just shows how much people enjoy the game & want to improve upon it. NOT how much they want to infringe copy rights, or contradict trade marks. People just want to play they gave & have fun. What is so wrong with this? It's sad to see soo many promising mod teams dissappear due the lack of support.

One other thing that BIS has decided to do is have a "hush hush" atitude towards the community. What, are we in the CIA? Is there a problem with keeping people filled in on the work in progress? eg: There's lots of people wanting to know what kinda models will be in Resistance, why is there a problem with realeasing this information? I see this as annoying simply because someone might be trying very hard to come up with an addon which the've put XX number of hours into. Little did he know that his addon was already included in the expansion so all those hours of work were a waiste of time, he could have been working on something else.

Or what about other things such as responses to forum posts, not to say the moderators don't respond, but some subjects seem to be out-of-bounds for them. Like the "what do you want to see in ofp2" or whatever the subject name is that's up right now in the general section. hellfish6 posted some verrry good ideas, amoung the best I've seen. It'd would really be cool to see a developer get involved  in the brainstorming (not like placebo wanting pink bunnies with m60's) responding to things saying stuff like "that's a insteresting concept, it can't be done without this so that's another thing to think about etc etc". Is that too much to ask or not enough to care?

Either way, I believe the ofp community is shrinking because people just lose interest when the're kept in the dark not knowing about ofp's potential with addons that are keeping it alive. Do you think The Sims would have been as big of a hit if Maxis or Electronic Arts kept tight lipped on how to create addons/mods for it?

It's inevitable that junk addons will flood ofp fan sites, but it's just like missions, they can be critiqued & ranked so that people know the addon's quality & the authors quality.

As for the issue with BIS, OFP is an excelent game along with many others. I really enjoy it & I'll continue to buy BIS products in the future. But they just need to lighten up, soo many other titles go through the same problem and in the end come out a better game becuase they just gave in & let their fans have what they wanted.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blink Dog @ June 26 2002,06:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The only way to get a public release of Oxygen and Visitor is to hit BIS where it hurts, their pocket books. Until BIS releases the tools publicly, do not buy resistance. The community has lost too many cool modelers because BIS will not even look at their propositions and portfolios. Go for it ban me, I've had with this stinking forum anyhow.<span id='postcolor'>

*You Sir DISGUST me!! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif *

Well, I'm of this opinion:

Either tools are publicly released, or they are not. Not to select groups etc. etc., public release or nothing.

It's a simplistic view, but it would save a lot of bitching and ill-feelings.

Now, let the flaming of me begin... smile.gif

I guess we can sit back and wait for OFP game pack (for Gmax). Hope it will happen some day. Trainz, Dungeon Siege, Quake.. OFP next?

The games a year old. Is anybody really surprised that after that length of time some people have found other things to interest them. O2 or not people will come and go after that length of time. And if you look at some of the recent posts there is no doubt new people still come here. Thats a pretty good run for any computer game.

Its not a problem and I don't really think O2 is going to make that much of a difference, especially when some people have already made it clear they don't like using unofficial addons.

What does make a difference ( for me at least ) is new missions and campaigns. Those we have and continue to get. I will buy 'Resistance' and it will add a few weeks of play. What has kept me going this long is things like PMC Fury, Delta Ops and the CSLA campaign. These are what I play and what I want ( and fully expect ) to see more of.

Its just my opinion but I think for most people it is the superb mission editing tools that make most difference and have kept the game going for an unusually long time.

O2 is just icing on the cake. Its better with it but I'm not going to cry over it and I'm certainly not going to pass on what likes like a great official addon for a great game.

I think that all mod modelers that dont have O2,Should just work on some models to get ready for imorting to o2.We have some time on are hands so lets us it wisely.If BIS says the tools are coming than great,But if they decide not to release them than dam*,we will just b*tch and moan for acouple of days and then finally getover it.

WTF is your problem dude? BIS doesn't owe you anything. I am more than happy to pay for Resistance. I wan't to suport BIS so that they can keep cranking out cool games. If anything you should be greatful that they have done as much as they have. I have never seen game developers so willing to interact with the fanbase. I think the entire OFP community on both the developer and fanbase side is outstanding.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cpl_BOB @ June 26 2002,10:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif0--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blink Dog @ June 26 2002,06wow.gif0)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The only way to get a public release of Oxygen and Visitor is to hit BIS where it hurts, their pocket books. Until BIS releases the tools publicly, do not buy resistance. The community has lost too many cool modelers because BIS will not even look at their propositions and portfolios. Go for it ban me, I've had with this stinking forum anyhow.<span id='postcolor'>

*You Sir DISGUST me!! mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif *<span id='postcolor'>

As i said before, YOU SIR DISGUST ME!!

you the kind of guy who coasts through life expecting everything to be done for him, never working etc,,

SCREW YOU..

(calm , calm i am calm) mad.gif

I really agree with lucidity, stuff like that can kill a community! And whats the point of not releasing stuff to the general public? Already we have WRP edit wich must be almost equal to visitor, if not yet then maybe in a couple of versions... Hasnt BIS seen our will to do stuff? For example something as easy as makin an texture addons takes forever... first get the .p3d, then decompile, then locate the million .paa/pac textures and convert them to .tga, then actually edit the textures and then convert them back and then texture swap them and the write config.cpp and then .pbo them... FFS! it shouldnt be that hard.. BIS could have released a Half Life model viewer type program (Isnt OFPinternals working on such a program) for this... shouldnt have taken them long. Atleast they could have posted a proper explanation not just "we dont have time", they could have posted for example "sorry make ur own damn utility we are busy working on a top secret war simulator for the US army, fuck off"

Go to the Baldurs Gate 2/Icewind Dale 2 forums thats a good example of creators giving input... there all ideas posted aimed at the team are replied to by sometimes several team members and the developers often post progress reports..

I dont think im being demanding, remember i havent said I DEMAND THIS i am just giving general pointers...