Sign in to follow this  
frogtop

Editing a Map PBO

Is it possible to extract a pbo and edit the terrain in visitor? For personal use only of course. I want to add a village or two in a user created terrain to create missions on, again for personal use only.

Hi frogtop!

Is it possible to extract a pbo and edit the terrain in visitor?

Technically - yes, though it's a bit of a fuss...

In simple terms, you'd need Mikero's "ConvertWrp"... then you'd need to - unpack the .pbo & secure the .wrp file - convert it to a .pew - do a full tools suite install to get Visitor up and running - add your buildings - save, rebinarize and test...

Then - to play the mission, you and any MP buddies would all need that complete modified terrain + the mission you write...

Asking permission from the original terrain-maker might get you "Source Files", which would skip the "convertWrp" stage....

Still a big fuss though...

If it's just a few specific custom locations you want to make specially for a mission, then you should maybe consider the "3D Editor" route...

You'll need a small .pbo - an "Editor Upgrade" - like this one...

What this little guy does is basically make all those "terrain objects" - like houses, lampposts, trees, walls, fences, etc - available in the ordinary "in-Game" 2D (or 3D!) editor...

You'll see them as "objects" and you can place them like any other mission asset - save the mission, and then - you're done!

You and any other MP buddies will only need the mission, and the Editor Upgrade .pbo - the terrain itself remains physically unchanged.....

Much less stress...

B

Thank you very much, I imagine I can't place roads if they're splines rather than physical objects in the editor but I'll give that a go and ask permission for source files if that doesn't work. Thank you. [ Turns out I can place roads.]