Sign in to follow this  
DZR_Mikhail

IAS: AKM mechanics simulation

IAS: AKM simulation is a part of IAS - Interactive Action System (WIP)

• Full load and reload procedure
  • Chamber bullet aacounting
  • Safety switch
  • Magazine in hand preview
  • Chamber lookup
  • Tactical reloading
  • Dry reloading

Concept demo video

Edited by zvukoper
  • Thanks 1

Wow, the level of detail... Immense! This is how firearms simulation should be in ARMA.

Edited by Laqueesha

My only concern with this is it might over-complicate things in a firefight. How exactly does the process work? :)

Safety switch toggle - SHIFT+`

Bolt pull - press R

Bolt release - release R

Load new magazine - CTRL+R (hold to look at round)

Take out current magazine - SHIFT+R (hold to look at rounds in it)

Thats it for now. Its not too complex and keys are comfortable. I need to rework holding the magazine and add dropping magazine. May be fast magazine cycling selection in inventory. Then I will upload the mission with demo for you to evaluate and give feedback.

I loved it, the video displays a window on the right, which indicates the status of the weapon, ammunition, etc.

that window can be removed and work with the default counter?.

I put an image to explain better

573count.jpg

Best regards

Khaki, yeah :) I'm fond of Russian guns. I wish all these guns get simulated like this :)

dalber24, this default interface is present for debug purposes and is frozen most of the time. Shooting uses one bullet from this counter while tracking all other ammo changes from my internal mechanics system. If it's possible, I'll remove default counter when you grab AKM and show it back for other weapons.

The lower indicators are only for debug purposes. These will not be present in the final addon. However there will be some key combination to inspect your weapon. A panic button so to say. Player will be forced to play some animation for some 5-10 seconds and after that a report on th egun will appear saying something like "Barrel clean. Not jammed. Chamber empty. Magazine loaded in, has 10 rounds. Safety Off."

Because in real life you know what's in your hands, you feel it. And here I have a magazine holding by one hand, which is not very visual yet.

Anyways. I'm improving it now. The controls, the magazine preview. Gets better and better.

dsi24, you won't believe me, but this system was inspired by many events and I learned about Receiver only after my first concept upload at Youtube, where someone told me about Receiver. After that I played it and understood that controls can be very easy and rewrote my controls from scratch. Former controls were clumsy and too complex. Now Mechanics are even more deep but controls are easy and built mostly on SHIFT, CTRL and ALT modifiers: SHIFT = dealing with currently loaded magazine, CTRL = dealing with new magazine in inventory, ALT = preview magazines for visual round count. And it all used with R key mainly. I'll add an ability to instantly drop a magazine you hold or look at, and an ability to manage magazines order (cycle throug them, or may be same as with Receiver, full position control)

Among other improvements I made the debug monitor more readable and show all the keyboard shortcuts for IAS. You can now see what I press while doing something.
This version is also a bit improved technically. You can also hear new sounds. Different sounds for chamber work (different sounds on empty chamber\mag\safe mode etc.). A slight ringing for round being ejected on bolt pull.

I'll fix some other bugs and dealing with other weapons (using pistol breaks IAS) and release a demo version for you. May be this week. Edited by zvukoper

Love the work you're doing here. I am always a fan of more realism and interaction ingame and ArmA lets us do this.

But, am I missing something here? I see two threads both with the same videos? Not complaining, just didn't know if I was supposed to see something different in the other thread.

Cheers

Hello there

Quick comment/suggestion.

Please make the keys user configurable, many of us use 3rd party controllers and having to change configs due to "hardwired" keybinds is quite off -putting.

I'm looking forward to this (once you've added every weapon in game :) ).

Good job.

Rgds

LoK

this improves, every day, I look forward to his release, an excellent job.

Best regards

1) Please make the keys user configurable, many of us use 3rd party controllers and having to change configs due to "hardwired" keybinds is quite off -putting.

2) I'm looking forward to this (once you've added every weapon in game :) ).

3) Good job.

1) Good point. I'll see what can be done.

2) Can't promise every wepon, but the ones I love I'll do for sure.

3) Thanks

1) Love the work you're doing here. I am always a fan of more realism and interaction ingame and ArmA lets us do this.

2)But, am I missing something here? I see two threads both with the same videos? Not complaining, just didn't know if I was supposed to see something different in the other thread.

1) Thanks for understanding :)

2) No, youre not missing. I shouldn't have posted this in the other thread. I'm still trying to organize the project and sometimes do mistakes. Fixed :)

this improves, every day, I look forward to his release, an excellent job.

Best regards

Thanks. It's pretty captivating and interesting work.

Looks awesome - really impressed with the use of dialogs to help with what's going on in the mags and chamber.

You mention an inspection mode - does that mean you're going to implement weapon jamming? Also, just as an idea, can you add a temperature feature (cook offs, jamming and finally weapon failure - perhaps script in some smoke to pour off the barrel) Obv, the firer would have to be going nuts to fire enough ammo to melt the barrel etc :)

All the conditions of jamming and failure are documented in detail. So it's possible to implement. Why not. Good point thanks!

Prototype of separate magazine inventory system

The idea is to show all mags exactly in their fixed slots. There are 10 slots this time. The authenticity behind this is about the vest or pocket idea. Usually magazines are placed in the special pockets on the vest or in simple pockets of your uniform. Anytime you can peek at any magazine and know how much it is full or empty. So each slot is a pocket. A soldier can easily remember that he put a full mag in the right pocket. Or he decided to always have full ones at the right pockets and empty ones at the left side.

Each slot represents a magazine with visible rounds or empty if it's empty. If the slot is not occupied - the slot will appear greyed out.

There is no random placing of mags. Initially when you pick them up, they will stack up there randomly (rather technically ordered). But after you reorganize them, the order and slots for each mag are saved.

Whenever you use IAS AKM interaction with magazines the slots are shown. After that you can choose the desired slot and take needed magazine to your hand. Then a submenu will allow you to load it to your weapon, put back or throw out. All controls will be very ergonomical and will not require numpad or complex combination.

This concept sketch shows how you access your slots. You see the first slot has a magazine with one round, the second magazine is empty, third slot is empty and greyed out and currently the seventh slot is selected with automatic magazine preview above. You can see a submenu automatically appeared and TO GEAR is selected by default. So when you release the key combination the action will be performed - your mag will stay in gear in the same slot. You can choose another action while holding modifier key (CTRL this time) and press a key for other action. If you press R and your gun is not loaded - currently selected magazine will be loaded. Press B and you mag is dropped to the ground.

Here is the magazine selection concept sketch.

http://i.imgur.com/Bi8ao.jpg > 100 KB

Here is the slot editing concept sketch.

This one shows a "swap mode" for inventory. Swap mode is toggled by pressing G key combination while in inventory.

You see the selected magazine slot is freed and yellow arrow is now selecting the empty slot for the taken magazine. After you release the key combination - the magazine will be put to the 2nd slot and the swap mode will be off.

http://i.imgur.com/DFrhb.jpg > 100 KB

Presently the sub menu is already working. Now I'll try to implement this all. I'm very concerned about making it as unobtrusive as possible without hugely blocking interface and requiring many key presses.

Edited by Max Power

pointless, but funny/interesting mod, tnx ! :)

Why pointless, please feel free to explain?

@zvukoper keep up the great work, i really like this concept :)

this looks better every time, I want to try!

Excellent job Mikhail

Magazine inventory layout is ready. It's already ingame screenshot, but the magazines are not connected to IAS, just random pictures.

http://i.imgur.com/iXMWe.jpg > 100 KB

Next step is functionality with IAS.

Edited by Max Power

I talked to a soldier and learned that "by the book" a soldier must carry 4 AK magazines at most on his discharge vest. He told that in combat the team leaders allowed them to carry 6. And I found a vest which can contain 8 AK magazines at once.

So I decided to cut the mags slots count from 10 to 8 this time.

I talked to a soldier and learned that "by the book" a soldier must carry 4 AK magazines at most on his discharge vest. He told that in combat the team leaders allowed them to carry 6. And I found a vest which can contain 8 AK magazines at once.

So I decided to cut the mags slots count from 10 to 8 this time.

Eight seems like a reasonable amount, so ....

8 in the vest wearing, +1 you carry in the gun = 9

or, you can put, 7 magazines + 1 in the gun

Yes, precisely this capacity. 8 mags in IAS vest pockets + one mag in the weapon. Other mags can be taken into the rest of arma inventory, but they won't appear active in IAS pockets.

Yesterday a developer from Veteran Mod contacted me to help them implement custom magazine filling. Couldn't help them much, but I realized that this demo mod will benefit from such ability as to have 4 types of ammo (standart, tracer, incendiary and hollow rounds for training) and be able to manually load\mix any type of rounds into the magazine. I asked them to allow me to use their models and ammo types which I saw already on their demo. Well, can't really promise this feature, but I'd like to see it in IAS.

That was tough, but I managed to implement my crazy idea with 8 slots. Check out a quick WIP demo. The basis is created.