Sign in to follow this  
shephart

Confirmed features now cancelled - your thoughts?

I cannot recall but I'm gonna shoot for him saying not included in the release from the sound of things. Again it was determined not realistic since fast roping isn't really used all the much any more, but don't want to start that argument up in this thread. Again it may fall upon the modders and hopefully the newer features will allow modders to achieve better fast-roping simulation than what they've done in A2.

I cannot recall but I'm gonna shoot for him saying not included in the release from the sound of things. Again it was determined not realistic since fast roping isn't really used all the much any more, but don't want to start that argument up in this thread. Again it may fall upon the modders and hopefully the newer features will allow modders to achieve better fast-roping simulation than what they've done in A2.

Fine with me. I can't see myself using fast roping all that much anyway. Like you said, it can be added in later by modders as well.

Well for someone that only plays multiplayer, I was hoping fast roping would be in. Would make departure a lot quicker, flick on hover mode, throw out the ropes and let everyone descend

Well for someone that only plays multiplayer, I was hoping fast roping would be in. Would make departure a lot quicker, flick on hover mode, throw out the ropes and let everyone descend

Yea, and not only that, it also looks COOL as hell, and I think it would look really exiting in first person. New features like that are quite immersive. You know most other games don't have it, so it would be a nice little touch in my opinion, Im tired of the normal "get out".

In fairness, Ekko, multiple games have a fast-roping-in-first-person sequences as part of a cutscene-to-gameplay transition, but this as a matter of dynamic gameplay... ehh, I really don't feel that it really adds anything "actual" gameplay-wise instead of "oh hey it looks cool". Truthbetold I wouldn't miss it if it's not in ARMA 3 vanilla.

Fast-roping these days is mostly used for ship boarding, is it not? Besides, I could see this being inconvenient.

aDbBc0.png

Fast roping is also of great use if you have to deliver troops to an urban environment.

And will be modded in within 3 days of alpha.

And will be modded in within 3 days of alpha.
Which is pretty much why I'm not even phased by the supposed lack of fast-roping in vanilla.

But it looks cool and that is what matters in today's warfare.

Fast-roping these days is mostly used for ship boarding, is it not? Besides, I could see this being inconvenient.

The method of insertion relies on tactical situation. Fast-roping and rappelling has a purpose: For when the helicopter cannot land, or you do not want it to land, and you want to drop off troops quickly. It can be used for ship boarding which does have its risk of injury, as compared with a stable platform such as a roof.

Rappelling - 1 guy on rope (though that may include 4 people actually rappelling off the same helicopter). Safer.

Fast rope - Up to 3/4 on rope at once depending on height and weight carried. Flood the target area with shooters.

Can't wait to take out a bunch of fastroping tacticool looking OMGDeltaSEALWarriors with just one machinegun or Strela/Stinger manpad. :D Or should the other faction/side be forced to give a style rating? For example: "Don't shoot - lets look how they rope down!! Wait until all those elit3 WarriorShooters are on the ground and in their positions!!! We don't want to have them cry + ragequit just because of their cool looking tactics...." Fastroping is one of those "nice to have" features and if its implemented it should work flawlessly in SP/MP + with AI. No need to have ropes that have the same physics like a steel pole.

There were several times fast roping would be 'handy' in MP (mostly PvP/TvT).

Me and my team lots of times we had performed insertion via heli in the center of a hot zone.

Fast roping would have minimized the risk of heli accident-and (most important) also minimize the needed time to perform the action.

I think it's a 'must' for competitive MP.

Can't wait to take out a bunch of fastroping tacticool looking OMGDeltaSEALWarriors with just one machinegun or Strela/Stinger manpad. :D Or should the other faction/side be forced to give a style rating? For example: "Don't shoot - lets look how they rope down!! Wait until all those elit3 WarriorShooters are on the ground and in their positions!!! We don't want to have them cry + ragequit just because of their cool looking tactics...."

It's a shame an experienced can't disagree without resorting to childish posting like this.

Sorry Tankbuster to hurt you feelings! Please bear with my bad experience on shooter addicted players and their supertactical procedures and killstat wanking. Anyway what is your view on fastroping ??

Sheesh, so much anger...

Funny how OP is "You said we would get x, then you removed it! *explode* Also, why aren't we hearing more about new features! *explode*"

@Tankbuster & NoRailgunner

i suggest you stop your arguing right now as this tends to go too far OT. You might agree to disagree. If in doubt, read the topic title again.

Sorry Tankbuster to hurt you feelings! Please bear with my bad experience on shooter addicted players and their supertactical procedures and killstat wanking. Anyway what is your view on fastroping ??

Well, like you I think it'd would be great to have and yes, under tactical situations like those you describe, it would be suicide for the aircraft and the soldiers descending under it.

But there are many situations where a fast rope insertion would be appropriate and I think that the engine is at a level of maturity (ie with phsyx) that we could realistically expect it.

But there are many situations where a fast rope insertion would be appropriate and I think that the engine is at a level of maturity (ie with phsyx) that we could realistically expect it.

It's in VBS2, it's in TKOH, it's in ArmA2 thanks to players. With the new PhysX available there's just no reason it shouldn't also be in, and improved, in ArmA3. I guarantee I'd fast rope far more often than I'd slide under a car from a run and shoot a pistol wildly between my legs, but that's in A3.

And VBS2 is nothing more than Armed Assault with a few extra units and a price tag. So fast roping should be a synch to put in ArmA 3?

And VBS2 is nothing more than Armed Assault with a few extra units and a price tag. So fast roping should be a synch to put in ArmA 3?

Well, the engine can handle it. I'm sure everybody'd be glad to pay the extra $300 for those features.

You should make a meme about it, memes will relieve your pent up frustration.

I won't look for the post, but I remember a dev saying that fastroping wont be in the game as their PhysX implementation doesn't include "string physics", for ropes etc. Which also means towing ropes is out of the question...

nobody tows with ropes these days anyway...

A-frame towbars is where its at.