Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Cold War Rearmed² : Demo 4

I suppose, but it was more in reference in that I have very little to really contribute to the development of it other than just playing what you release. I wish I had the Superman ability of helping you guys finish it soon. :P

Ohh I just found this now. Remember this was in Arma1 as well and playing it there a bit before my PC broke. So good to see my OFP back in ArmA2 :)

Hopefully you nice people can finish this in good quality because I think this is what I stay with in Arma2. Who needs stupid future Arma3 when he can play the original. :yay:

Soon when Im back in editing I will do some missions for this.

I'll be playing ARMA 3 of course, there's a lot of improvements I've seen from it from ARMA 2 BUT, I ain't leaving ARMA 2 either. I'll be making more missions for it (I didn't buy 2 copies for a reason, I can LAN it with my buddies). There's a lot of islands without missions that can use some, there's CWR2, I44, and a lot more great addons. Then there are also things that make ARMA 2 and 3 different for me, I'll be keeping and playing both.

Hmm... should I reinstall OFP too? Though I can only go version 1.99 because I have it on steam and not hard copy (dammit)

I find it hard finder missions in one piece on ofp gamepark site though....

If you need a certain mission from OFP, ask W0lle. Some days back he told me has a hell lot of collected missions on his HD. That crazy guy must have thousands of them. At his age, he will never be able to convert them all. :rofl:

Must install original too, just to have a look at original missions when I try to make them available in CWR2

Hmmm... maybe I should reinstall OFP, probably grab another copy too, 1.96 or 1.99 ? What missions should I get?... All of it? maybe mainly the low number of player coop for LAN?

I find ARMA 2 controls easier than the free aim look around thing from OFP though, wondering if it's just me because I use a trackball instead of a mouse. (I did started off on ARMA 2)

Edited by Phantom Six

Installing OFP and playing the default campaigns and missions is to be recommended. The graphics are perhaps outdated and the controls in some respects clunkier, but the gameplay makes up for any deficiencies. It will definitely make clear why people would want to recreate that game in a new iteration of the engine. The V1.99 version is the latest, so that would be the best option.

For missions for the original OFP one could use the following source:

OFP Editing Center: mission depot

There are quite a few scenario's for OFP available on OFPEC and it offers reviews that can give an indication of the content and quality of the missions.

Regards,

Sander

If you need a certain mission from OFP, ask W0lle. Some days back he told me has a hell lot of collected missions on his HD. That crazy guy must have thousands of them. At his age, he will never be able to convert them all. :rofl:

Yeah, I have 50-80 CD-R burned with missions, campaigns, mods/addons and other stuff for OFP. You never know what you will need in future ;).

Edited by tom3kb

Can't remember the name of this great mission (with intro + outro and speaker) where you were driving from airport, detecting mines behind the next town, securing another town and holding it against a Soviet counterattack. Sadly many missions + required addon links/downloads are fading away or remain broken. Damn nostalgia, Papa Bear and Tasmanian Devil... :D

That would be Facile Ground by Sui, one of my favourite missions for OFP (available on OFPEC). The Black gap, Wrestling with the bear and Airborne by the same mission maker are also worth checking out, but Facile Ground stands out as one of the most polished missions ever created.

Regards,

Sander

Edited by sander

Good old Sui. I wonder where he is these days. Played all of his great missions and several times. They would be worth a try to port them to this Mod. But I think my knowledge isn't good enough to do that anytime soon.

Guys we have a little contest for you, see this post for details.

Edited by W0lle

Thank you Sander/OFPEC for the rescue of classic OFP missions/campaigns!! :) W0lle does this island has a lake or pond?

Nope, nothing like that :)

Oh my, a contest! D-does this mean that the game will enter a public beta soon? :3c

That would suck, I'm just done with downloading the massive Demo4.

I wonder what they packed into this almost 4GB of a Demo but I will be damned if its not worth every MB. Can't wait to try it out later and set my feet back onto Kolgujev. :)

I wonder what they packed into this almost 4GB of a Demo

Almost all addons with units/vehicles/islands needed for OFP conversion to Arma 2 + some expansions.

In demo we don't have only full campaigns and all missions. And that practically all what we dont have.

Hmm. I have a problem. I installed the mod folders in the ArmA II folder as instructed in the readme, and installed all the patches. As I've got the ArmA X compilation I got from steam, I started the game by adding "-nosplash -mod=@CWR2" Operation Arrowhead's launch parameters. When I start the game there's no sign of CWR2. Curiously enough, I don't think it's the combined operations either, as only OA campaigns are playable. Tried the ArmA II shortcut approach as well, but I get an error of a wrong version.

Any idea what's wrong? Should I have extracted the mod folders to OA's main folder instead?

Not familiar with steam so you better wait for someone knowing that thing.

No need to move the folders anywhere, @CWR2 is the correct place but check again if inside @CWR2 you have an "addons" folder. The pbo's must be there.

Wrong: \@cwr2\cwr2_5t.pbo

Right: \@cwr2\addons\cwr2_5t.pbo

You should see the cwr2 terrains in the editor even if you run only OA. You just get a lot of error messages when running the Mod only with A2 or OA.

Hmm. I have a problem. I installed the mod folders in the ArmA II folder as instructed in the readme, and installed all the patches. As I've got the ArmA X compilation I got from steam, I started the game by adding "-nosplash -mod=@CWR2" Operation Arrowhead's launch parameters. When I start the game there's no sign of CWR2. Curiously enough, I don't think it's the combined operations either, as only OA campaigns are playable. Tried the ArmA II shortcut approach as well, but I get an error of a wrong version.

Any idea what's wrong? Should I have extracted the mod folders to OA's main folder instead?

This is strange. I'm able to boot up Operation Arrowhead and get ArmA II and I have Steam for the series. Try putting the folder in OA's main folder, if you're booting OA. I don't know if OA recognizes any A2 mods.

Also, this is a silly question but how exactly are animations encoded for CWR2? I tried to import the maps to the ArmA III Alpha, and I guess because I couldn't figure out what you guys called the anims.pbo, I had a guy spawn in as a hang-glider. I was still able to lob grenades, but the model made me feel like I was playing a survival horror game. :P

I can't remember that I gave you or anyone else permission to port any of our content to Arma3. Just because it's possible to do so means not you we automatically grant permission.

As said in my statement earlier: This Mod is Arma2 Exclusive and it stays like this. Please do not port our Mod (or parts of it) to Arma 3.

@CWR needs to be in the Operation Arrowhead root folder.

You can use -mod= stuff but I prefer to use the expansions browser in game to manage my mods.

---------- Post added at 08:28 ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 ----------

Also, this is a silly question but how exactly are animations encoded for CWR2? I tried to import the maps to the ArmA III Alpha, and I guess because I couldn't figure out what you guys called the anims.pbo, I had a guy spawn in as a hang-glider. I was still able to lob grenades, but the model made me feel like I was playing a survival horror game. :P

I assume by 'port' you mean 'I copied the @CWR2 folder to ARMA 3'. CWR2 is not designed to be used with A3, and even if it was allowed, it would take you an extremely long time to 'port' it anywhere in a reasonable way.

We have been lent many excellent assets from many different, excellent community members. We have agreements with all of them that we can't just do/authorize/condone anything we want to their work. This community, and this mod in particular, is built on good faith. This goes for everyone, only use CWR2 with A2 please, and don't port our mod anywhere. We don't authorize it and certainly will not be offering any support or be accepting any bug reports to that end.

I assume by 'port' you mean 'I copied the @CWR2 folder to ARMA 3'. CWR2 is not designed to be used with A3, and even if it was allowed, it would take you an extremely long time to 'port' it anywhere in a reasonable way.

We have been lent many excellent assets from many different, excellent community members. We have agreements with all of them that we can't just do/authorize/condone anything we want to their work. This community, and this mod in particular, is built on good faith. This goes for everyone, only use CWR2 with A2 please, and don't port our mod anywhere. We don't authorize it and certainly will not be offering any support or be accepting any bug reports to that end.

I understand, but to give some context of what I was doing, I was only testing the islands to see how they worked in A3. I can respect your intent and wishes, but I just wanted to elaborate to show I didn't have an agenda to bring everything you guys were doing to A3 for you or anything. I thought the new lighting engine really added a lot to the game, so I wanted to see how some of the islands handled it now. :P

I won't continue any tinkerings with your work in the Alpha. My deepest apologizes, and I didn't mean to offend or disrespect anyone with my efforts. I hope you at least understand.

We do. But you have also to see that just on these islands many people were working for years, yes years. And all in their free time. If you would do that, you also would not like to see you terrains grabbed by someone and thrown into the new game. And you don't only use the terrains but also everything on it: buildings, vegetation and textures. This all is the result of more than 4 years of hard work.

We will see if at some point our terrains will be available for Arma 3.

Edited by W0lle

CWR2 is such a great mod. My respect and appreciation goes out to all the people involved in the project, all infinitely more talented than myself. If the next CWR2 mod development timeline is anything like it was for ArmA 2, I hope the intellectual property defense doesn't abate the mod's popularity, considering that ArmA 3 will likely gain new players who have no purpose to research ArmA 2 mods.

I seem to be unable to launch the mod. It crashes on startup, giving me the following errors:

"Addon 'cwr2_Sounds' requires addon 'CA_Dubbing_Counterattack'"

"bin\config.bin/CfgWeapons/cwr2_Bizon/Burst/: Cannot find base class 'Burst'"

I've tried reinstalling the mod, and I double-checked that the launch parameters are correct.

I'm running a Steam version of ArmA2 + OA, btw.