meshcarver

Terrain Underground complexes?

yup. if they're underwater, you know, you should go in there with scuba dive gear :p

This was my first proof of concept I did for A1 (unfortunately lost to a drive failure) that was one complete building with ground like skin. My more recent attempts have been combinations of buildings with ground like skin (buildings) and top hats (bridges) as you refered. One of the biggest frustrations was trying to make one look like it was covered in grass, ground textures don't behave like building textures so can be difficult to make your faux ground blend in.

Cheers guys,

as far as trying to blend in the look of the top of the complex area, could you just make it so that areas basically "off limits", like with a huge un-enterable warehouse or something..? Would that solve all problems..?

@Marc: yes, that's a clever way to work around these issues...

@Path: just to stay on-a2-topic, I had experienced the very same "frustrations" and I'm trying to find a solution as you may see here

BI confirmed that arma 3 will have underground structures.

just take a look at the sticky topic about confirmed features before spreading such bullcrap.

BI confirmed that arma 3 will have underground structures.

just take a look at the sticky topic about confirmed features before spreading such bullcrap.

BIS also confirmed the 3D editor then they cancelled it! Keep yourself informed before posting bullcrap! Underground structures were cancelled for the time being!

BIS also confirmed the 3D editor then they cancelled it! Keep yourself informed before posting bullcrap! Underground structures were cancelled for the time being!

proof/link that they cancelled it (the underground structures) or it did not happend

proof/link that they cancelled it (the underground structures) or it did not happend

Take two minutes to read the topic.

From Old Bear's visit to Gamescom:

In fact, if I understood correctly, BIS made lots of tests that work more or less well. Ivan told me that for example in VBS, they found a way to include objects underground to tunnels, passages ... and it works in VBS, but in Arma3 environment , AI perceives the object hidden in the ground as a barrier and tends to avoid it... which is not the goal .... Furthermore, the IA refuse to engage in tunnels created. So for the moment, no underground objects in Arma3.

From Old Bear's visit to Gamescom:

ok but it says "So for the moment, no underground objects in Arma3."

Everything in ArmA3 is "for the moment" ATM...

Read my first response to your post:

As a map-maker, the thing I miss the most are underground structures. I had tested some solutions to get underground structures on my own terrains/islands such as on [ADO]Vostok. I have discuss this subject with a lot of people, map-makers and addon-makers as well. So I asked Ivan the question in purpose !

From what I have understood, this feature is more postponed than definitely canceled, for atm, the main objective is to release a working full "Community Alpha" before the end of the year, as soon as possible :cool:

its a pretty damn good idea, if they confirm this, I would buy this game twice

its a pretty damn good idea, if they confirm this, I would buy this game twice

Why don't you just buy it once and when they release this feature then buy it a second time ;)

I just want proper trenches and foxholes to fight out of :\

Small placeable trenches in the editor, maybe a small mg nest/bunker covered in leaves that goes underground a tiny bit?

Lol, no MG nest covered with leaves on a Mediterranean islands ... the leaves are too small ...

so, BIS said that MAYBE there won´t be underground structures FOR A TIME because of the AI problems (they can not even use buildings correctly).

the problem :

ONE MODDER here released a mod for arma 2 where the AI use buildings successfully and he wan´t to release it in arma 3, here is a video about the mod:

BIS, who made this game, are NOT ABLE to do the same but a modder ?! now, when BIS is not able to do that, they should make underground structures and about the AI problems : they should give the community take a look at it, we see that in arma 2 that the AI use buildings correctly (thx to this mod and the modder), maybe modders are able to do the same with arma 3 and underground structures where AI will use them correctly.

so, BIS said that MAYBE there won´t be underground structures FOR A TIME because of the AI problems (they can not even use buildings correctly).

the problem :

ONE MODDER here released a mod for arma 2 where the AI use buildings successfully and he wan´t to release it in arma 3, here is a video about the mod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQuSU...layer_embedded

BIS, who made this game, are NOT ABLE to do the same but a modder ?! now, when BIS is not able to do that, they should make underground structures and about the AI problems : they should give the community take a look at it, we see that in arma 2 that the AI use buildings correctly (thx to this mod and the modder), maybe modders are able to do the same with arma 3 and underground structures where AI will use them correctly.

Ha! You must realize that it was BIS who had to create the core functionality that let those types of mods work. BIS told the ai how to go into building, the modder simply needed to tell them when. BIS knows what they are doing, let them do their job.

• Like 1

the problem :

Like -Coulum- said, there's nothing unusual in that video, any modder with moderate scripting knowledge can do it. In fact you as a group leader can send AI into buildings with no modding at all. But it is scripted: the problem (as far as BIS might be concerned) is the unscripted behaviors.

BIS, who made this game, are NOT ABLE to do the same but a modder ?!
I can believe this easily, especially when it's been stated by InstaGoat (speaking to Gaia) that BI may not even completely understand how their AI works and that the devs' "AI goal" at this point is just to get existing unmodded AI working consistently, even if that means "no new AI features".

Oh and that mod according to Madeon (I recognize this video from that thread) wasn't buildings underground, but them supposedly "understanding" and making use of cover... you know, ALL ABOVE GROUND.

Oh and that mod according to Madeon (I recognize this video from that thread) wasn't buildings underground, but them supposedly "understanding" and making use of cover... you know, ALL ABOVE GROUND.

i know.

It probably is already possible to make structures that look like they are underground using buildings in bedded into a hole in the landscape. However, grass on top of them would be a problem. VBS 2 has underground structures I read. Agree that AI would need to be able to use buildings for underground structures to be much use. AI currently can't even walk about a pond or water on their own.