Sign in to follow this  
Opticalsnare

Black Mesa Source

Its been good so far, although had to rip the entire Marines voices out and replace with the HL orginals. The rest of the Voices are spot on but the Marines are pretty terrible. Getting a bit annoyied with the constant crouch-jumping had to use a script to bypass it.

Could I annoy you about the files or a "how-to" perhaps? :P

I take back what I said about the design of the Marines. I guess the screenshots were always showing the Sargents.

Its been good so far, although had to rip the entire Marines voices out and replace with the HL orginals. The rest of the Voices are spot on but the Marines are pretty terrible. Getting a bit annoyied with the constant crouch-jumping had to use a script to bypass it.

It sounds like one of the voices of the Marines and the Military Computer are voiced by the guy who does Solid Snake in MGS. I think for community voice actors they are pretty top notch. They really sound like the original actors (in general).

I finished it and made it to Xen for now - it was pretty good , well some parts been very different compared to the original and yes Marine voices are very bad , original "Robotic" are way better

Also i have some feeling that some sounds were missing or just too silent - for example the apache , barely heard the engine of it (just loud weapons)

Edited by RobertHammer

I prefer the feeling of this version. The only issue I have with it is the more realistic visuals makes the arcady gameplay feel weird. With the nice lighting and really good ambient sound design, duck jumping and being able to stand on a ledge 1mm thick seems somehow out of place.

Finished it.

Awesome game, disappointing ending.

Black Mesa ends when you jump into the Portal to Xen. The Decs will make the Xen part a game on its own....

The best thing I like about Black Mesa is the fact that many locations were remodeled and enhanced with more objects. Even if you're very familiar with HL1, BM requires you to go slowly otherwise you would be hurt or worse. The enemies are faster and more aggressive. Although I don't like the voices of the clean-up commandos, they sound kinda fake. The originals were better.

Anyways the mod is really good. The level of detail is amazing, every location has been detailed with great care and atmosphere. Finally we can enjoy all the goodies of Source Engine like ragdolls, object manipulation, dynamic lights, electricity arcs etc etc...

I was wondering if there is a gravity gun included? That would change the gameplay drastically though hmm? Developers also replace the weapon locations, instead of getting the shotgun in the office complex we get magnum revolver instead, which I think is more powerful than the shotgun.

Later on I picked up a mp5 which turned out to be pretty weak against the commandos :/ The method against them is to duck behind the object and iron sight the bastard and hit him with a magnum bullet. Maybe that's the reason why they placed the magnum first? The commandos are pretty tough (hard level of course) and aggressive as well and getting into face to face firefight with them isn't recommend.

Right now in the moment where we first meet with the commandos. I really enjoyed what I've seen so far... Monsters are really detailed with good graphics, I can only imagine how spectacular other monsters would look like, like the big monster we can encounter during our monorail journey or the tentacle monster from the blast pit.

I think Black Mesa turned out to be a successful recreation of a legendary Half-Life. Like I said before, I'm in the beginning and eager to see next stages Smile

Wonder when the Xen world will come out, or if it will ever come out. Certainly it will take years for fans to fully recreate the level. Seeing other installments like Blue-Shit or Opposing Force is wishful thinking, I don't think Valve would touch it again. It's all in the fans hands, alas the SOurce engine is getting older and older...

Just started with it, don´t remember playing through HL1 back in the day so theres going to be many surprises in this.

Already found the best achievement ever in computer gaming history:

handing someone a roll of toilet paper

nearly fell of my chair :D

Personally I dislike the weapon changes that made them less efficient and decreased ammo carrying capacity, all the while enemies were made more difficult.

Here are config changes for Steam\steamapps\sourcemods\BMS\cfg\skill.cfg to make the settings more similar to Half-Life. The Black Mesa default config has satchels and tripmines do the same damage as normal grenades, and head damage modifier was only 2, making headshots relatively ineffective for the effort involved.

// PLAYER WEAPONS
sk_plr_dmg_crowbar					"10"
sk_plr_dmg_9mm						"8"
sk_plr_dmg_357						"50"
sk_plr_dmg_buckshot					"6"
sk_plr_dmg_grenade_mp5				"100"
sk_plr_dmg_grenade_rpg				"150"
sk_plr_dmg_bolt						"65"
sk_plr_dmg_energy					"20"
sk_plr_dmg_grenade_frag				"100"
sk_plr_dmg_grenade_satchel			"150"
sk_plr_dmg_snark					"10"
sk_plr_dmg_grenade_tripmine			"150"
sk_plr_dmg_grenade_hornet			"13"

// MAX AMMO
sk_max_9mm							"270"
sk_max_357							"36"
sk_max_buckshot						"125"
sk_max_grenade_mp5					"10"
sk_max_grenade_rpg					"6"
sk_max_bolt							"50"
sk_max_energy						"100"
sk_max_grenade_frag					"10"
sk_max_grenade_satchel				"5"
sk_max_snark						"15"
sk_max_grenade_tripmine				"5"
sk_max_grenade_hornet				"8"

sk_npc_head							"3"

//Ichthyosaur
sk_ichthyosaur_health				"200"

Just started with it, don´t remember playing through HL1 back in the day so theres going to be many surprises in this.

Already found the best achievement ever in computer gaming history:

handing someone a roll of toilet paper

nearly fell of my chair :D

That one was pretty awesome. :D

I didn't realise Black Mesa had achievements until did that for giggles.

On the dammage and ammo count: I felt like the weapons are stronger and carried more ammo. Knowing how bad a marksman in games I am usually and how well I've seen Celery shoot, I'm more than confused.

Edited by Serclaes
spoiler is gone :P

If you download it today via torrent, it finishes in about 15 minutes. Not a bad reward for some patience :p

Ok. Now I'm in the crusher, with lovely crowbar again :)

Minuses so far:

- Poor quality of sound (ambience, weapons, commando voices). Although voice acting of scientists is really good.

- Guns dont leave brass on the floor, except for the pistol (obvious bug)! In HL1 every firearm ejected brass that stayed on the floor for a while.

- Chapter "On The Rail" was heavily edited and shortened. Original was better.

- Where the hell are water leeches?

I was kind of in the opposite camp. I found the game to look quite flat and the assets to look not so great at the beginning but found that they seemed to improve as the game went on. At least the interior of the tram is really not great. I also find the sound to be one of the better parts of the mod.