Sign in to follow this  
Zumbi

Can A2/OA server use more than 2 CPU cores?

I recently switched my server from a E3-1270 (quad core, 3.4ghz) to a E5-2690 (eight core, 2.9ghz) machine. The new box is better or identical most respects, except of course in raw processing power per core. Both are on Windows Server 2008 R2 with 8GB RAM.

I believe the core count may be a problem because the new server is performing significantly worse than the old server, encountering enormous desync with 60-80 players, and server FPS dropping to 0 within 60 minutes of uptime .. we had lag before, but the worst server FPS would be 3-4 with 80 players. Now with 0 FPS it is just unplayable at the client end.

The server process insists on only using 2 cores, regardless of any combination of parameters like -cpuCount, -exThreads, etc. On startup it runs smooth, mainly using one core, then it starts using another core until they are both maxed out at 90-100% CPU usage, but it never begins using a third core, it just leaves the other cores idle as the server FPS plummets. Changing the server process' priority and affinity settings had no effect either.

Does anyone know if ArmA 2 server can actually use more than 2 cores, taking advantage of a 4-core or 8-core processor? Or is it stuck on 2 cores and I made a huge mistake with the server configuration?

Also, disk write speed appears to max out during desync, but that is probably an effect and not a cause, since the server is writing to the .RPT file messages like "2012/09/02, 20:59:06 Server: Network message 144eb74 is pending."

It will always use 2 cores (one thread for AI, another for networking and other things).

I've had very similar issues running ZL on Windows. I know you're running TL, but you may be running into similar issues. Others seem to have no problem with running Windows life servers, so who knows (my solution was to switch to Linux, which was what I had asked for from the beginning - of course, not so easy now).

My server uses all 4 cores and none of them are maxed out. 1core is used more than the other 3, guess thats

the core that runs the ai. I do not use -cpucount command, but i have hyperthreading turned off in bios.

Some times i run 2servers and used to set affinity to 2cores each server, but lately found out that it manages this

quite well without setting affinity.

But for sure its better with 4cores with more mhz than 8cores with less mhz.

You took a 15% performance hit... The way ArmA2 server is currently written, it only uses 1 core for networking, and 1 core for AI, so the single most important factor in large servers is single core speed.

If you were running 60 users before without problems, then you're be limited to 50 at best under the new system. You can look into network settings on your server to see if you can help with the desync some, but the fact is a E5-2690 isn't as fast as a E3-1270 for ArmA2.

I recently switched my server from a E3-1270 (quad core, 3.4ghz) to a E5-2690 (eight core, 2.9ghz) machine. The new box is better or identical most respects, except of course in raw processing power per core. Both are on Windows Server 2008 R2 with 8GB RAM.

I believe the core count may be a problem because the new server is performing significantly worse than the old server, encountering enormous desync with 60-80 players, and server FPS dropping to 0 within 60 minutes of uptime .. we had lag before, but the worst server FPS would be 3-4 with 80 players. Now with 0 FPS it is just unplayable at the client end.

The server process insists on only using 2 cores, regardless of any combination of parameters like -cpuCount, -exThreads, etc. On startup it runs smooth, mainly using one core, then it starts using another core until they are both maxed out at 90-100% CPU usage, but it never begins using a third core, it just leaves the other cores idle as the server FPS plummets. Changing the server process' priority and affinity settings had no effect either.

Does anyone know if ArmA 2 server can actually use more than 2 cores, taking advantage of a 4-core or 8-core processor? Or is it stuck on 2 cores and I made a huge mistake with the server configuration?

Also, disk write speed appears to max out during desync, but that is probably an effect and not a cause, since the server is writing to the .RPT file messages like "2012/09/02, 20:59:06 Server: Network message 144eb74 is pending."

In your launch file that you use to start the server ((Add in this command at the start)Doesent really matter where to be honest))

Add this in -ExThreads=AMOUNT

If its like a rack/dedicated server and you don't use it for anything else you can use all the threads if your using a 8 core processor to use all the cores put 8

If your using a dual core use 1 or use 2 at a high risk

Qaud cores 3 or 4

I may not of got the amounts right but using the full amount of threads will decrease your internet and game performance

I also use this on the client side to make sure I use all of my six cores :D hope this helps

My server:

Dayz epoch 1.0.4.2 2500 Vehicles

[ERP]Don't kill on sight Rp the situation!

Ai missions

exThreads will always default to 1 on a dedicated server no matter what you set it to