Sign in to follow this  
Tox_Laximus

Much Anticipated

I remember playing the original on a Amiga and am glad Gaea is looking very nice indeed.

Along with Armageddon (remake hint hint) on the same platform they were my favourite games of all time, some good ideas come out of the computer boom of the 80's and only now is the technology available to realize those ideas to a much higher degree.

BTW. Has Gaea got the same start-up music as the original?

THX for making this game :yay:

Same here, I also played it on my Amiga back in the day. I was never any good at it (enemy AI always beat me bad lol). The Amiga game was Awesome, not least for being 3D and realtime, even if it was just filled polygon 3D. The game was really involved and complicated as I remember it (also just barely touched it on an emulator recently just to show a friend the difference between that and this).

I only recently-ish (since a few months) became aware of this remake, and i'm looking forward to it (even if I'm still bad at strategy games :p)! I think it looks really promising and screenshots are gorgeous!

Same here, I never once beat the AI carrier but in those days there was no internet to find tips, is it even possible to beat the carrier in the old game?

Unfortunately I'm all spent out due to a remote control lego rock crawler else I would be playing the beta right now, oh well, someday I hope I never grow up :P

Same here, I never once beat the AI carrier but in those days there was no internet to find tips, is it even possible to beat the carrier in the old game?

Unfortunately I'm all spent out due to a remote control lego rock crawler else I would be playing the beta right now, oh well, someday I hope I never grow up :P

Easiest way to do it was with a Walrus loaded with missiles - 6 or 7 would normally do the job .. ..

G

Easiest way to do it was with a Walrus loaded with missiles - 6 or 7 would normally do the job .. ..

G

Thx, time to finish the job I started 24 years ago!

Defeating the Carrier in the original was easy if you took your time and took advantage of the opponent. Easiest way to do it was to strand the carrier. Build up toward enemy territory - sooner or later the enemy will try and attack one of your islands that is pretty far from its own territory. Basically - it reaches long. When it does - attack the island that is his only logical stockpile - destroying his refuel point on his way back. Even if you lose the island he attacks - he now can't make it back to his territory to refuel. Dead in the water at sea - you can either track him down (go from his last few islands near the one you took to the one he attacked) or just capture all the other islands without fear of retaliation.

The other thing you could do is sit don't attack his stockpile until he launches the supply drone - then just blow it up and take his island then. He is again - dead in the water.

I did beat the new carrier by launching all vehicles and sending them out of range of the enemy as I approached the enemy carrier, then positioned my carrier behind the enemy one and used my vehicles to take out the enemy vehicles focusing one at a time and then just let the carrier AI fire until the enemy carrier died.

Could do with buttons to select all walrus, a button to select all mantas, and a button to select all vehicles, like in a hierarchy set up, maybe also a retreat button to use boost+fly low away from the enemy, once those turrets lock on your toast.

Defeating the Carrier in the original was easy if you took your time and took advantage of the opponent. Easiest way to do it was to strand the carrier. Build up toward enemy territory - sooner or later the enemy will try and attack one of your islands that is pretty far from its own territory. Basically - it reaches long. When it does - attack the island that is his only logical stockpile - destroying his refuel point on his way back. Even if you lose the island he attacks - he now can't make it back to his territory to refuel. Dead in the water at sea - you can either track him down (go from his last few islands near the one you took to the one he attacked) or just capture all the other islands without fear of retaliation..

That doesn't work on the version that I had, the enemy carrier NEVER runs out of fuel - although you can force it to have to go further back to it's stockpile.

G

The original designer had a look at the code a while back on that question and he found that the enemy carrier does cheat, in that if it runs out of fuel it can still move slowly back to its stockpile. Its in one of the threads on the old game on this forum.