phaeden

MCAGCC 29 Palms (Public Beta)

Ah, 29 Stumps. :) Do you realize that since we now have it's enormous training areas simulated, this base just lost one of two good things about it (the other being relative proximity of Las Vegas)? It's not among Marines' favorite bases, that's for sure, but for the simulation, it looks awesome.

Really enjoying this map so far. Also I made this quick vid with some aircrafts. The view distance on highest it looks really good no matter the altitude. Hope you like:

Panimala, I am glad that you are enjoying the map. I will eventually submit it to sixupdater (probably with the next release). As for the general clutter around villages, is there anything you'd like to see specifically? There are a few "villas" in the SW quadrant of the terrain that have already had some additional attention. Have you seen any of these compounds yet? If so, is this what you mean or is it something else? As for Takistani buildings, I have stayed away from those so far (as a lot of other islands already use them (among other reasons)). I 'may' release a separate version of the terrain that includes only ArmA2 buildings (and dependencies) if there is a demand for it. Thanks for the feedback!

I took a look at the SW area and I found some more detail yeah (and also a few telephone poles in the middle of the road. ;) )I was talking about clutter as giving the houses and areas some personality with walls, wells and stuff like that. The houses look a little basic as is and it would make everything a bit nicer from a ground troop point of view, and also from a gameplay aspect. And as for Takistani buildings I don't see why it would make any difference if they are used in other maps. Your map is unique as it is so having default arma buildings would just add to its charm and a believable experience (even if your map is meant to be in California). But I can't really stress it because it would take a lot of time to replace them.

I also want to give you props for having so many big bushes that actually are rendered at longer distances, it makes long distance engagements for infantry much better! Also if you want it on six I believe you just have to message sickboy about it.

For those of you in need of single-player battles at MCAGCC, I've added two areas of this map to PlannedAssault's mission generator. PlannedAssault allows you to generate large missions from your browser. It generates instructions for all AI groups to perform ground maneuvers, artillery missions, defense, air support, and air landings. PlannedAssault allows you to pick the group and role of your choice in the resulting large battle.

Here is some combat footage (and a first screenshot illustrating mission creation).

_pa_mcagcc_mission_generation.jpg _a2_inserting_marines_under_air_cover.jpg _a2_pullerville_surprise.jpg _a2_mcagcc_f18_engaging.jpg

The two areas supported are the MOUT villages in the southeastern part of the base, and Pullerville in the center.

William

ChrisB, AI pathing is the highest priority right now. I will be away this weekend but once I get back next week, I will go back into the models and see what the deal is with the paths not working correctly. I honestly am not sure why the AI are not seeing the data. I created most of the paths over 2 days, so they should basically be the same. Again, not sure why some work and some don't - anyone have any suggestions?

I noticed that many of the different two-story buildings have an invisible "wall" in front of the ramps leading upstairs. It's not a big deal for a human to jump over it, but I wonder if that's causing issues for the AI. Anyway, just a data point for you. Great map!

Does anyone know offhand how to set a map as the default map? This map is so good for addon and script testing that I want it loaded at startup. BTW phaeden, could you please add the horizont back in there? it's absence leaves an ugly edge around the horizon and when flying you can see the stars below the terrain level. The darker sky is pretty cool but it does cause some strange over saturated lighting sometime around dawn (at the default time and date). It's really bad when you have hills on all sides and the dark sky is above you.

edit

add "-world=wgl_palms" to the commandline!

Edited by Sakura_Chan

Does anyone know offhand how to set a map as the default map? This map is so good for addon and script testing that I want it loaded at startup. BTW phaeden, could you please add the horizont back in there? it's absence leaves an ugly edge around the horizon and when flying you can see the stars below the terrain level. The darker sky is pretty cool but it does cause some strange over saturated lighting sometime around dawn (at the default time and date). It's really bad when you have hills on all sides and the dark sky is above you.

Put the ''-world='' line in your startup shortcut.

jadehorus, thanks for the feedback! Hopefully, the airfields are large enough that you can conduct realistic training/flight.

ChrisB, thanks for the screen showing TPWs great effects! Is that a default building or did you add it during the mission? The reason I ask as that I was having trouble getting the lights to work with the buildings that are embedded on the island (and not put in during the mission).

Alderman, thanks! I will be releasing the V2 signatures with the next release. I will also see about getting on Six.

Dragon01, lol! I should have put in a small Vegas on the map to completely remove the need for the real Stumps! lol

jumpnjack, thanks for the feedback and the video! I enjoy setting up a few tanks and random patrols in the desert and then hitting them with the A10 from altitude.

Panimala, I am working on the building models and have added a number of walls and general clutter around some of the towns.

_William, thanks for adding the terrain to your PlannedAssault website! For those of you that haven't tried that site yet, I HIGHLY recommend it. It is really awesome for making missions (SP).

gatordev, thanks for the great feedback! I have been working on the buildings and your comment has helped me to narrow down what might be wrong with the buildings.

frostybowman, thanks for your comment! I also have the basic terrain for Fort Irwin. I started it several years ago and it has been sitting on my hard drive all that time. Perhaps, once this one is completed, I will finish that one. :) Regardless, both Irwin and the Stumps are horrible, little places that God sends soldiers/Marines to for punishment. lol

Sakura_Chan, thanks for the feedback. I will see what I can do to add in some sort of horizon to get rid of the problem you've noted. I tried a few things a while back but I will look at it again to see if I can fix it.

Laqueesha, thanks for helping!

Quick update: I've been working on the models to improve their general appearance while still keeping a low poly count. I've also been working on the height map and terrain texture. Basically, I've tried to align the washes/arroyos and the satellite texture better. I've also balanced out the tones for the mountains to make them more realistic.

ChrisB, thanks for the screen showing TPWs great effects! Is that a default building or did you add it during the mission? The reason I ask as that I was having trouble getting the lights to work with the buildings that are embedded on the island (and not put in during the mission)

No I did not add any buildings, it was just one that was there I took a pic of with TPW’s mod.

___

Sounds great the new things your working on, looking forward to seeing them.:)

Also will ACE Artillery calculations work after the changes Nou pointed out are updated? I was told the computer wont calculate properly at this stage, not sure why, just reported by our Deputy Director of ArmA2 Services who is big on artillery.

While I love this map and the fact that its huge and yet not demanding in terms of graphics along with the fact that the airfield is realistically sized, I have a question/request. Is there any chance that you could make Camp Wilson with two landing strips? So that there is more space for the huge aircraft like the an-225?

dbelnomi, what do you mean another strip? Do you mean parallel or perpendicular to the one that is there? Can you tell me what you want it for so I have a better understanding of the need?

Do you have a mission that I can use to test this?

You just need to place a ACE artillery gun and battery computer humvee from my understanding.

Amazing map.

Been looking forward to the beta release for a while now.

This has been selected by our airwing to use as their new home. I made a small video of us testing the runway at night. - DEM LIGHTS...

Once again thanks for all the amazing work!

Edited by Andrews

Nice video.

This is a great map thats for sure.

On your video you are able to view 'full screen' what code do you use for YT to get that function? would help me do the same for my vids:)

Nice video.

This is a great map thats for sure.

On your video you are able to view 'full screen' what code do you use for YT to get that function? would help me do the same for my vids:)

I just embeded the video here using the button on the toolbar. The fullscreen option "I thought" was on all you tube vids? Sorry I don't have the answer, wish I could help.

I just embeded the video here using the button on the toolbar. The fullscreen option "I thought" was on all you tube vids? Sorry I don't have the answer, wish I could help.

You did help, I didn't realise there was a button there for this, so just put a couple of mine right. Thanks..:)

I love this map, it's really great to fly around on. I'm just wondering about the random wrecks that are placed on different places. I've never been to 29 Palms, but are there really that many wrecks lying around? It sort of spoils the appearence of being a military base a tiny bit (really just a tiny bit, since they're not in the hundreds and the rest of the map is legendary).

There are actually a lot of wrecks strewn around the base (mostly for target practice). There are a lot of wrecks in the main side area that are not really there. In real life, there are a lot of civilian vehicles as well as a ton of military vehicles (wheeled and tracked).

I've been working on the buildings and island textures (and minor areas of height map/elevation). I am hoping to have the next version out soon (and hopefully with Six support).

Phaeden, great work. I just spent an hour flying around checking things out.

One thing I think I noticed in the MOUT 1 area is that the AI couldn't be commanded to a particular building position. Have you coded building positions in these buildings. I am going to do more extensive testing with some AI. Never mind, I must have been doing something wrong. On further testing I was able to command them to various positions in buildings or at least building positions were defined. I'm not sure they actually made it to certain positions as we were constantly in battle but at least the positions do seem to be defined.

Also, I couldn't find the firing range (or ranges)? Can you provide some grid coordinates of interesting features etc. in your original post?

Edited by Delta99
Additional info after further testing

Delta, thanks for the feedback.

I've been working on the buildings and map a bit but not as much as I'd like to in the past few weeks. I am hoping to release the 1st update next week (but no promises).

The firing ranges (at least some of them) are to the northwest of Mainside. If you follow the road north out of mainside, turn east at the first main intersection (you'll pass by a large rocky outcropping) and then find yourself in a valley between hills to your north and south. There are a number of buildings in this area. The firing ranges are just to the north of these buildings. I'm sorry I don't have a grid for you at the moment - I just wanted to get you pointed in the right direction.

Some kinds of house's wall are unimpeded for bullet, when I fire at some wall, it comes out without any hit effects, looks like the bullet just pass through the walls.

Edited by Lao Fei Mao