Sign in to follow this  
RedSnt

Will a shot from an anti-material rifle pierce the weapon of an infantryman?

I watched a video earlier today (Watch in 1080p):

From observation it looks to me like he hits metal (the weapon), but there are also signs of bleeding (Thanks to Ham117 for screenshot).

So the question is: Does ArmA 2 take blocking elements such as weapons into account when dealing damage to players?

He just got shot.

But weapons can "block" bullets, countless times I've hit a guys weapon while using a sniper rifle. But never have they been injured from it

I seem to remember gameplay where a unit would drop a weapon that got hit. Most likely this was an addon though. Just thought I'd mention it :)

I seem to remember gameplay where a unit would drop a weapon that got hit. Most likely this was an addon though. Just thought I'd mention it :)

Yup, SLX does it when one is hit on the arm. You also drop prone when hit on a leg etc.

Thank you for replying. I'm still fairly certain you don't see an impact like the one in the video without hitting metal, but on the other hand it is pretty obvious he's bleeding. Might just be ricochet damage then.

He just got shot.

But weapons can "block" bullets, countless times I've hit a guys weapon while using a sniper rifle. But never have they been injured from it

yep even shouldered weapons like rpgs will block bullets.

Hehe, pretty sure my 240 BRAVO has saved my lives more times than the medics have :)

Things a damn bullet magnet

Hehe, pretty sure my 240 BRAVO has saved my lives more times than the medics have :)

Because you're doing it wrong :p

At least with one AI mod machinegunners are infact targeted first by AI.

This weekend I ended up shooting a friend of mine in the RPG on his back. It was all good though since we got rocketed by an Hind shortly afterwards so he can't prove it was me!

Is it just me or does anyone else see what does actually look like the blood squirt thing when he shoots him?

Most likely a ricochet, which would deal reduced damage. The weapons models are as impenetrable as those trees.

Trees are penetrable.

Weapons actually have a bizarre damage model. AFAIK they are like backpacks, which block bullets until they run out of health, in which case ALL backpacks of that type become ethereal.

Just tested this in editor and managed to kill an A.I with an AS50 by 6 times shooting their M16 (from 100m) and their Javelin (from 50m) so I guess yeah it should work.

Edit: Did more testing with the L85A2 and the rounds ricochet off sometimes without causing any wound but i have yet to reproduce the same result with the AS50 - all rounds that hit/ricochet off the weapon achieved a kill.

Edited by Ten Bensons
further testing