Sign in to follow this  
bulletoothdan

Linux Server Complaint

Myke thanks once again, If you could point me to the answer or perhaps post it in here for all to read assuming it answers all my questions i will gladly stop and ask for the thread to be removed but up till now i havent seen any answers to any of the questions other than "it will get done when its done" and "the guy responsible for working on it has been on holiday" I and i dont think i am alone in this want a full answer to ALL the questions?

I am paying for the Devs? really? then i am within my rights to ask the questions surely and expect a full answer to ALL my points? and probably ask this question as well? why are you spending so much time developing stuff that isnt due for release or releasing stuff that doesn't work or not supporting games that you have released?

Perhaps the answer is for the Devs or one of them to release a public statement perhaps saying sorry for the delay its been due to what ever, we are working very hard to build the Linux binaries and we expect them to be completed by the end of never, or whenever they expect them to be done by. Its normal business practice to explain things that have gone wrong to your customers!

And i dont mean in these forums either it should be on the front page of this site and Arma site as well, or is that admitting you haven't satisfied your main customer base at the expense of generating more money?

And yet again please don't patronise me!

In threads like these, i would like to introduce some sort of system that approves that posters do actually have reasonable knowledge in programming and running a business.

Linux is still supported, the binaries are under development, at BI and every single Moderator is very sorry that it hasn't been released yesterday. You can argue in whatever way you want, it wont speed up developing process.

Why do not yourself and your communities simply use older version of the software for time being until latest Linux server executable is stabilized?

In any case, if we decide to not include Linux server at all in our future updates and games we have all rights to do so. In any case at the moment we simply could not release the Linux server 1.62 for various internal reasons but it is not the first nor it is the last time when Linux server is significantly delayed behind the main Windows code and your complaint is not going to change anything about it. It is not perfect but delaying 1.62 for Linux server would be the only other feasible option but damage caused by such move would be much bigger.

Also, if you expect Arma 3 Linux servers to come always aligned with the Windows servers, please stand corrected: this is very unlikely to be the case. It is expected that Linux server may be usually delayed, if it is big issue for you, I suggest you to either not use Linux servers for Arma 3 or not use Arma 3 as we simply are not able to guarantee Linux servers to be released at the same time as its Windows counterpart.

Edited by Maruk

Where is this 'Official Statement'? Replies in a forum are not generally considered "official statements". And even if you were to consider them such, they're spread all over the place and not at all very explanatory. An official statement is most often posted on a company website, not as a reply to a forum question.

This is the official BI forum, hosted on their official server. How much more official you want it?

Above you have your official statement.

if in this topic there is problem of paying for i game, i would like to remind author of topic, that, for the money that he payed (for a copy of disc) he gets:

- many years of gaming, not only stupid line shooting campaign which takes 1-3 days of gameplay like in other games,

- free DLC in 100 versions which are called "addons, mods, islands",

- patches many years after release of game oposite to other companies finishing patching few weeks after release of game,

- mission editor, not present in other games,

so take it under account that you get 100 times more than from other games which are how to say it... one week dedicated ?

Vilas thanks for your reply let me just point out the following i paid my money the same as you did not for the SP mode but for MP i pay towards the upkeep of our server a server that we now cannot use but still have to pay for thats what i am talking about, not the 100's of things i can get for free. The simple fact is that our community and lots of others cant use their servers because the linux binaries haven't been sorted as yet.

Personally I am rather new to the ArmA community, (And like many new players I owe DayZ thanks for introducing me to it.) so I cannot voice my opinion as a old time customer. I can however give my opinion on this situation.

A large part of your community use Linux server, and yet they are currently being disregarded. We aren't asking for anything massive, the only thing Linux admins are want is for Bohemia to fix the Linux server that so many have become dependent on. Surely telling someone that they are no longer important because they are not as useful, even though they have been supporting you for over a decade, isn't the right thing to do?

This is not even the most frustrating part of this ordeal - instead of just telling us what the progress is (So admins can find an alternative), you keep telling us the same thing over and over again. I really do have a lot of respect for Bohemia for the work they have done (And are doing), but the way this is being taken care of is really not professional.

Why do not yourself and your communities simply use older version of the software for time being until latest Linux server executable is stabilized?

In any case, if we decide to not include Linux server at all in our future updates and games we have all rights to do so. In any case at the moment we simply could not release the Linux server 1.62 for various internal reasons but it is not the first nor it is the last time when Linux server is significantly delayed behind the main Windows code and your complaint is not going to change anything about it. It is not perfect but delaying 1.62 for Linux server would be the only other feasible option but damage caused by such move would be much bigger.

I appreciate you responding.

Of course you can pull the Linux server. Nobody disputes this. But I think you'll be doing yourself a disservice, but thats for you to decide. Either way, clarity about whats going on is ALL we're asking for.

Just a note, Steam updated much of our community members' version to 1.62, despite the fact that they had not had automatic update enabled. So we switched to 1.62 in the hope it would be up and running quickly.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

This is the official BI forum, hosted on their official server. How much more official you want it?

Above you have your official statement.

Maruk, I hope you're satisfied with the way this guy talks to your customers.

The 1.62 Linux Server is available actually here, as an Alpha version for everyone to test. But that's obviously asked too much for the majority, instead countless threads with demands are made. As if that would make anything happen faster.

The 1.62 Linux Server is available actually here, as an Alpha version for everyone to test. But that's obviously asked too much for the majority, instead countless threads with demands are made. As if that would make anything happen faster.

Did you notice this part: "but I am not aware of any important server CRASH fix." And its been crashing quite frequently.. so that means its not working yet.

Did you notice this part: "but I am not aware of any important server CRASH fix." And its been crashing quite frequently.. so that means its not working yet.

It is the best we can server you now. So I am afraid this entire discussion is nearly pointless. Once we have a better build ready, you are immediately notified on the forums here.

Hello Maruk,

Nice to get to reply to you personally, most of the communities and especially ours use steam accounts and therefore cannot roll back. Making our server redundant. A lot of people use ACE and that cant be rolled back to my knowledge without a full re install anyway again excuse me if i am wrong.

I appreciate that there will always be some delay ion getting things ready on time at the same time when you are trying to lease several different groups, windows and linux systems etc etc. I also understand that as company you have the ultimate right to do as you please after all its your money and your company.

The issue is this, as i see it, you have fully supported the Dayz mod which as a free give away has provided you with a substantial sales boost, and well done, i would like to think that some of that profit you have made will be re invested and will only benefit us as gamers and supporters of BiS in the future.

The point is this, we have been abused by your moderators, insulted by them and given no specific answers to our questions. Is this the reputation you seek? I would certainly hope not. All we are asking for is the answers to the questions i put in my letter to your company nothing more nothing less. Telling us that its done when its done isn't a very good answer. AS the CEO i would have expected you or your representative, in fact your representative, thats what you have employees for, to make a full public statement say sorry for the unacceptable delay and tell us roughly when we could expect it to be completed. Not abuse and patronising comments from YOUR moderators.

Perhaps you could do me the honour of answering my questions this issue will then be put to bed, for all of us.

And just so that you and the moderators don't get confused i am not discussing how they moderate the forums, i am complaining about being patronised and abused by them!

Best regards

Hello Maruk,

I thought you would know about the issue, but let me explain it to you once more:

BI patched the game up to 1.62 trough Steam and other sources. With an 1.62 installation the only way to play on a linux server at the moment is to use an very old beta (94700). This can be served trough a custom repository on SIX Updater for example.

But this is only an option for closed communities with a regular playerbase that use this sort of mechanism.

All the public servers running on Linux simply don't get any players playing on them because players are told by the game to update to 1.62 and can't join with that version.

This results in the few public servers that run on windows beeing full all the time while the linux servers that are still payed for by your dedicated customers are empty.

Of course you can decide to not support linux servers in the future anymore. But expect much less servers beeing hosted for your customers by your customers. This simply is the result of two main reasons:

1. Windows servers cost much more money monthly.

2. Linux servers seemed to be much more performant due to the less overhead produced by the base operating system.

With all respect but delaying 1.62 for Linux Server would be the only option that's reasonable. Obviously this would mean, that you'll need to throw a little more money on the problem by maybe getting some more coding resources that have the knowledge to deal with that problem.

Having no guarantee that the linux server won't be delayed for a reasonable amount of time (not talking about hours or a few days, but we are talking about several weeks now) is not good for anyone who is going to invest money into running public linux servers in the future.

So please answer a simple question:

Will you take the concerns raised here serious and promisse better handling of the patching situation in the future or not?

For Arma2 and for Arma3 as well.

Or is your official statement: We might give you some linux server if we can, but don't count on it?

If so, we will shift our investments to get a Windows server and maybe even not run a public server (wich we did in the past and planned for Arma3) at all.

Wolle do you think we havent done that or tried all the work arounds suggested? answer the questions and this all goes away! its simple

It's been tested and reported as broken like hell.

Don't bullshit us by trying to tell everyone that we're just crying but not doing anything.

Hell some very experienced devs even offered help.

The point is this, we have been abused by your moderators, insulted by them and given no specific answers to our questions. Is this the reputation you seek? I would certainly hope not. All we are asking for is the answers to the questions i put in my letter to your company nothing more nothing less. Telling us that its done when its done isn't a very good answer. AS the CEO i would have expected you or your representative, in fact your representative, thats what you have employees for, to make a full public statement say sorry for the unacceptable delay and tell us roughly when we could expect it to be completed. Not abuse and patronising comments from YOUR moderators.

Perhaps you could do me the honour of answering my questions this issue will then be put to bed, for all of us.

And just so that you and the moderators don't get confused i am not discussing how they moderate the forums, i am complaining about being patronised and abused by them!

Best regards

Lol at "abused by the moderators". They told you the EXACT SAME THING as Maruk did, but you were still not satisfied. Laughable.

Just to be clear, i have read and heard the its done when its done thing, let me see if i can put this so that everyone understand my English, please Maruk answer the following questions that is all i have asked, i am not interested in anything that anyone else has written in this thread.

What is the real issue?

What is the progress?

When will it be ready? |( and i dont want a message like "it will be ready when its ready" already had that from your forum team!)

Are you going to FULLY support it in the future now and for the eventual release of Arma3?

respectfully

Edited by bulletoothdan

We turn in circles.

What is the real issue?

Already answered in Maruk's first post in this thread:

...we simply could not release the Linux server 1.62 for various internal reasons...
What is the progress?

Latest progress can be followed here and here.

When will it be ready? |( and i dont want a message like "it will be ready when its ready" already had that from your forum team!)

And now guess from where the Forum team has it's info. You really think the devs would tell you more than they tell us?

Are you going to FULLY support it in the future now and for the eventual release of Arma3?

BI always gave full support although you might have a different understanding of "full" as others do:

it is not the first nor it is the last time when Linux server is significantly delayed behind the main Windows code and your complaint is not going to change anything about it.

As far as i can see, all questions has been answered as good as they can be answered.

Thread closed.