Sign in to follow this  
Nosedive

Sounds fade and are eventually muted when facing to or away from a sound source

Hello there everyone, I've recently noticed this issue, it may have always been there, but it's really bugging me. As I turn to face towards a vehicle or something, the sound of its engine gets quieter until you can't even hear it, it's true for sounds behind me also, but if I turn so that it's to my left or right, it sounds normal. This is also the case for being inside a cockpit and looking left or right, for most helicopters I can't hear the turbines because they're behind me. I have a 5.1 system but I don't think that's part of the problem.

Thanks for any help

Edit: oh yeah I should probably provide some more info. I'm running Arma 2 on Vista 64 with an onboard sound card, I have a quadcore cpu at 3.5ghz, 8gb ram and a Radeon HD5870. I have quite a lot of mods installed.

Also it doesn't matter what distance the source is, it's most noticeable when aircraft are flying around you, they disappear entirely from the soundscape at times. I'm not sure what could be causing this.

Edited by Nosedive

Did you configure your Windows correctly? You need to set it to 6 Speakers (5.1), and you have to connect Ctr/Bass, Front and Rear. Are all boxes on? Do they work in other games? Try the surround sound test which is perhaps included in Vista or as program with your drivers.

Actually it had been fine with everything else, which is why I didn't bother checking the main windows audio config, but upon testing the speakers a couple just weren't putting out sound, so I pulled them out and plugged them back in, and now it works fine, so it must have been some weird glitch. Thanks for your suggestion which indirectly solved my problem :)