Sign in to follow this  
h34dup

[CAMP] Lions of Kandahar

Also, like Kommiekat I really cant set the mortar up in mission 8. When i pick up the mortar bag from Ole Girl, run over to the tripod bag and look at it, I the only action available is "pick up tripod" or ACE action button "drag tripod". Maybe the campaign is not Ace compatible at all times?

Thank you for this awesome campaign!

Really glad to hear everyone is enjoying this Campaign! Definitely makes all the hard work and near-obsession that went into this project worthwhile.

As for ACE in this Camp, I'm surprised you made it as far as you did with ACE activated-- this Camp was neither designed for, nor tested with, the ACE mod. You should only play it with the required addons listed on the download page, using any other mods, even small or minor ones can have unpredictable effects, especially ACE.

In Mission 7, there are a few sync'ed waypoints that require the convoy to remain a little bit of structure before moving on, so it's likely one of the vehicles got stuck (this may actually be ACE-related somehow). Restarting this mission and running without ACE should address this issue.

As for Mission 8, since I'm not too familiar with ACE, I'm not sure if the mod removes the vanilla action to "Assemble M252 Mortar," but as stated earlier: with the mortar backpack on your back (use the action near Ole Girl to get the mortar backpack), you walk over to the tripod on the ground at the marker, aim at the tripod, and you should get an action to assemble the mortar. Pretty sure that once the mortar is assembled and you are "in" it, the mission continues accordingly, even if you don't participate in the mortar volley.

I just spent 3 hours on it, still not compete it. Really wonderful campaign, thanks a lot for sharing.

Am I missing an addon? I've downloaded all the ones that're listed and I get up to the end of the M1 cutscene where the C130 flys off I get a message that tells me I can't play this mission because it's dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted. sgwheeleana_suv, sgairana, sgcharacterana, sgwheeleana_offroad, sgwheeleana_hmmvw.

Is there a way to fix this?

• Thanks 1

you must have forgotten some addons to download.

those from someguy who and the ANA or ANP

are you running any other mod short of those required?

Yes, this definitely sounds like something related to SGW's ANA/ANP -- just to be sure, is the mod installed correctly (inside an addons folder?) and is it activated in your mod manager/launch app?

Really glad to hear everyone is enjoying this Campaign! Definitely makes all the hard work and near-obsession that went into this project worthwhile.

As for ACE in this Camp, I'm surprised you made it as far as you did with ACE activated-- this Camp was neither designed for, nor tested with, the ACE mod. You should only play it with the required addons listed on the download page, using any other mods, even small or minor ones can have unpredictable effects, especially ACE.

In Mission 7, there are a few sync'ed waypoints that require the convoy to remain a little bit of structure before moving on, so it's likely one of the vehicles got stuck (this may actually be ACE-related somehow). Restarting this mission and running without ACE should address this issue.

As for Mission 8, since I'm not too familiar with ACE, I'm not sure if the mod removes the vanilla action to "Assemble M252 Mortar," but as stated earlier: with the mortar backpack on your back (use the action near Ole Girl to get the mortar backpack), you walk over to the tripod on the ground at the marker, aim at the tripod, and you should get an action to assemble the mortar. Pretty sure that once the mortar is assembled and you are "in" it, the mission continues accordingly, even if you don't participate in the mortar volley.

Ok thanks, will try without ACE. Again, thank you for sharing this eminent campaign!

Yes, this definitely sounds like something related to SGW's ANA/ANP -- just to be sure, is the mod installed correctly (inside an addons folder?) and is it activated in your mod manager/launch app?

Same error for me, solution:

- open the folder "@SGW_Afghan" inside ArmA 2 main directory

- check if inside there is a folder called "Addons", mine was missing so I just created it and I moved all the ".pbo" and ".bisign" files in it.

I'm getting Addon 'ons_weapons' requires addon 'INKO_Disposable' except I have INKO and I am running it with the rest of the required mods.

I'm getting Addon 'ons_weapons' requires addon 'INKO_Disposable' except I have INKO and I am running it with the rest of the required mods.

Not to worry- this is listed as a known issue related to ONS itself-- it will not have any effect on the Campaign.

EDIT: Oh wait, that's a diff error msg than this one. Do you have the proper version of ONS installed (the one linked? OA version not A2 version)? Also, is INKO properly installed in it's own addons folder?

Edited by h34dup

Not to worry- this is listed as a known issue related to ONS itself-- it will not have any effect on the Campaign.

EDIT: Oh wait, that's a diff error msg than this one. Do you have the proper version of ONS installed (the one linked? OA version not A2 version)? Also, is INKO properly installed in it's own addons folder?

Yes and yes

Yes and yes

Not sure what to suggest otherwise. To be honest, I wish that ONS removed this as a requirement from the mod, as this Campaign doesn't really use it anyway, outside of in cinematics bc of the default AT loadout. It's difficult to be of much help when it comes to getting required addons to work, but rest-assured it's likely a fixable problem.

I'm noticing user Saving seems to be disabled in Mission 9, which makes it a lot harder to complete, is anyone else having this happen?

Edited by h34dup

In ONS mod for OA INKO is included or should we use this http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6973

About problems with saves in mission 9, maybe cheat can help: press Shift and "-" and write savegame.

I'm not sure if there's a difference, to be honest. If I recall, both have the same contents, but I'm not 100%

Looks like the savegame thing was related to my difficulty setting, it appears. D'oh...

In ONS INkO is from 6 december 2009, in that version from my link it's from May 2010 (file is bigger). I use that older version from ONS, i will write if I will have some problems :) But i think its not importent what INKO we wil use.

Just dropped by to say thank you for the fantastic campaign. I loved how you named the Canadian SF on M6 after some Canadian heroes lol, thank you again for all the time and effort you put into it.

Just dropped by to say thank you for the fantastic campaign. I loved how you named the Canadian SF on M6 after some Canadian heroes lol, thank you again for all the time and effort you put into it.

It simply had to happen... glad you appreciate the reference. :cheers:

Just finished my own playthrough-- phew! No game-breaking bugs per-se but there are a few easy fixes I will release ASAP. Here is the known issue list, if I missed something, feel free to post it up here-- not a guarantee it'll get fixed, but it will definitely be noted at least:

Mission 1 -

* Minor fixes to outro

* Misnamed fire GL's

Mission 2 -

* Add map icons to IED site and taliban compound

* Adjust conversation with civi #2

Mission 3 -

* Fix mis-named groups in section III of briefing

* Add hint for player to use an IED from the explosives stash in the tent to clear checkpoint 14

Mission 4 -

* Increase volume of Jared's voice during initial briefing

Mission 5-

* Move 'initializing scripts' message to beginning of mission 5 intro, instead of mission where it is no longer being loaded

* Add random patrols between objectives

Mission 6-

* Fix radioEnabled false error that disables much of the dialogue from the beginning

* Remove NVG's once at OP Caroline and sun is up

Mission 7-

* Give Bill's group a name (to replace standard number jargon in radio)

* Remove unused IED variable from IED script or use more simplified IED method

* Correct Talon 30's group ID with a space

Mission 8-

* Add a hint when near the mortar tripod to aim at it while carrying a mortar backpack and use the "Assemble M252 81mm Mortar" action to progress the mission

* Fix radioEnabled false error that disables some dialogue toward the end

* Check outro where camera seems to glitch, it seems to get fixed if you hit "Again" in the pause menu

Mission 9-

* Adjust school chat with proper timing

* Fix missing fire GL variable names

* Consider a minor reduction of enemy forces on Sperwan Ghar (objective Delta)

* Try to make the dogs act or sound a little more vicious

* Add dogs to enemy list

* Check First Aid module setup, consider advance first aid setup

Mission 10-

* Adjust 'hey Jude' chat with proper timing

* Add vehicle transports bringing in enemy reinforcements, reduce some of the foot mobiles

Mission 11-

* Add a hint to the init and revise briefing advising the player to use AC-130 support using the satellite phone sitting on the hood of the GMV next to Ron

Mission 12-

* Adjust 'god-fearin' chat with proper timing

* Fix Zangabar Ghar trigger, which activates prematurely

* Fix radioEnabled false error that disables some dialogue related to Zangabar Ghar objective and can disable end-mission radio dialogue

* Add a medical tent or replenish the player's health and set their unit pos to UP when teleporting after an objective is completed

Mission 13-

* Wound Bruce, he appears to be un-hurt, but in reality was hit

* Remove or replace the nuke sign that appears where players place the marker for fire missions

* Fix chat subtitle citing Ben vs JT

* Investigate campaign description.ext-related error after completing the mission but before the outro - does not seem to affect the Campaign otherwise.

Global considerations-

* Add more music

* Try to better-outline what is going on during the intros/outros, possibly using cutText / titleText

* Consider additional uses of disabling user-input during mission openings

* Consider implementing body-removal script (examples welcome)

* Add fail triggers for friendly fire-- specifically from player (examples welcome)

* Audit all vehicle locks to prevent irrational player behavior where restricted

Now, I'm not sure if patching the Campaign will affect saves or progression, can anyone provide their insight?

At one point I remember dialog lines being overlapped. I'm pretty sure it was the part where your Afghan lieutenant speaks with the person who provides intel on the group that put the IED.

Just some quick things I noticed in the first mission.

In the warehouse you go into to get briefed, the doors are closed and people simply walk through the doors as a result. Also, the default Operation Arrowhead U.S. Army units are anachronistic for mid-2006, not a game-breaker, although Binkowski's 2005 U.S. Army units (replacement pack here) would be more time-period appropriate. I know you probably don't want to add more addons to the campaign than there already is, so it's alright.

The campaign's great; I liked the little dialogue boxes that appeared during that tiring morning run in the ANA mission. Great writing there. ;)

Edited by Laqueesha

As Variable mentions, I too had a dialogue timing issue somewhere, although it was all a bit of blur at the time so can't say where exactly.

I'll be frank, I don't like desert missions per se but this is a me thing. Overall the campaign was as professionally made as they come and having a realistic basis for it elevated it above many other well made ones too in my book. There rightly was little in the way of any glorification of the tasks required during it. The timing on the camera work and the cinematics were very good and set many a scene to come I felt overall, as did many of the poignant quotations throughout. The unforgivingly realistic nature of it as a whole cannot be understated, as I found to my detriment many times.

As said, I don't like the desert much but then maybe this put me in the right frame of mind from the off, as I don't think anyone is actually meant to 'like' war. This campaign is harsh and feels about as real as they get and for me should be on everyone's "must play" lists.

My next attempt will be on veteran and yet again, I fully expect to have my 'ass handed to me'.

An outstanding piece of work.

Edited by HackerSlasher

I noted what I'm hoping are all of the specific instances of the dialogue overlapping in my recent play-through, so they should be listed (including the one in M2) in the known issues list. I'll be updating the Camp likely tonight or possibly tomorrow night and I'll submit that soon- this should address a bunch of easy fixes and help the Camp become more stable.

I have all these other projects on my radar, outside of Arma 2 and inside of it, so right now I'm trying to deal with the void that has been created by no longer having to make progress with this project. Still, the overall response to this Campaign is far beyond what I was expecting, I'm so glad you guys have been enjoying things. I played through a number of Campaigns when I first got into Arma 2, and tried to bring in as much as I could that inspired me in those Camps. Working with real source material is also both a challenge and a pleasure. I'll be interested to hear from people who read and picked up on things as subtle as direct quotes or stuff from the cutscenes. More interestingly, the points where I was forced to depart from the book.

I'll be frank, I don't like desert missions per se but this is a me thing. Overall the campaign was as professionally made as they come and having a realistic basis for it elevated it above many other well made ones too in my book. There rightly was little in the way of any glorification of the tasks required during it. The timing on the camera work and the cinematics were very good and set many a scene to come I felt overall, as did many of the poignant quotations throughout. The unforgivingly realistic nature of it as a whole cannot be understated, as I found to my detriment many times.

As said, I don't like the desert much but then maybe this put me in the right frame of mind from the off, as I don't think anyone is actually meant to 'like' war. This campaign is harsh and feels about as real as they get and for me should be everyone's "must play" lists.

My next attempt will be on veteran and yet again, I fully expect to have my 'ass handed to me'.

An outstanding piece of work.

Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for commenting, I feel like good ratings and positive feedback really help the page when it's not in the recent newsfeed on Armaholic.

As for the Red Desert mission, I'm not sure what about the mission you didn't like, it sounds like you don't prefer the island itself much? Either way, as you seem to have noticed-- it's part of the book, it was something Rusty and his team had to do in order to divert the attention of the Taliban from the larger Canadian ground force. Many times, the convoy got bogged down, vehicles would need to be dug out, etc. While I didn't include this, I wanted to include a little bit of a sense that you're tangling with the elements, especially when you have to scan that huge area for the supply drop (Hint: search for it from atop the hill near Checkpoint 15 for the best vantage point).

Speaking of Mission 3-- in the intro and outro, are the vehicles taking a little too long to enter the frame or do they show up after 5 or so seconds? Longer than 10 is what I saw and that's too long, not sure what caused the delay as things move fine in the editor.

^^^^^

Laquesha has a good point about the units you used and the time frame.

"Binkowski's 2005 U.S. Army units (replacement pack here)" would most likely fit in well and no, it's not fun installing another mod, but this is a Campaign and people are willing to download the mods for Camps.

Just some quick things I noticed in the first mission.

In the warehouse you go into to get briefed, the doors are closed and people simply walk through the doors as a result. Also, the default Operation Arrowhead U.S. Army units are anachronistic for mid-2006, not a game-breaker, although Binkowski's 2005 U.S. Army units (replacement pack here) would be more time-period appropriate. I know you probably don't want to add more addons to the campaign than there already is, so it's alright.

The campaign's great; I liked the little dialogue boxes that appeared during that tiring morning run in the ANA mission. Great writing there. ;)

^^^^^

Laquesha has a good point about the units you used and the time frame.

"Binkowski's 2005 U.S. Army units (replacement pack here)" would most likely fit in well and no, it's not fun installing another mod, but this is a Campaign and people are willing to download the mods for Camps.

Yes, this is an excellent point - it begs the question once again of an exhaustive, mod-heavy "hardcore version" that would have all the correct units (including the Dutch Armed Forces mod for the Apaches - something I'm actually considering for the standalone bonus SP scenario, Boeing/SOAR MH-47, some kind of F/A-18, and more!) and perhaps a few other additions to the list-- what would be awesome is an actual GMV unit, customized HMMWVs with .50 cals and M249 in the front, but with much of the frame still intact, the SOV I'm using is a bit more naked than what ODA 331 used. I'd also like to figure out how to make weapon addons optional, so if you have them, they are added to the briefing selection, if not, then they aren't there and don't disturb anything.

This branching of versions would need to be done after a few updates to ensure maximum stability, but if enough people express interest in it, that is something I could do (I'd opt for it myself). What I'm not as familiar with is ACE. Still, it isn't off the table as an option further down the line.

Edited by h34dup