zorilya

Garrison on the fly script

Hey zorilya,

Love your work, use it on just about every mission I make these days.

I did notice an issue with your Garrison Script when I was using BIS_fnc_spawnGroup

It wasn't executing on the group. I made a change to the Garrison_script.sqf that solved the issue:

_unit = leader (_this select 0); //group or leader

I simply altered the _unit to select the group leader instead of the unit it was being executed on then the group.

Though you might want to implement it in the future if not, no worries, still love your stuff!

Cheers

Thanks man ... i guess that's what was born out of me not using it with enough variety. nice spot

looking at that a second time i don't know why that was giving you problems.... it seems to work fine for me, no matter who i put it on... odd hehe

Like you said in your beaching script video, something will just work sometimes and not work others. Arma is a strange place. (not a direct quote)

GREAT script. Has made me begin to use the editor for something else that prove unit,weapons and vehicles. Maybe if I improve I wil release my first mission using your script.

I don't know how this is not more known and used because is game changing. I hope people start to use it to make urban missions, because its amazing and can improve city engagements and the game experience in general. Imagine raiding Zargabad with random buildings fulls of enemies shooting through windows (testing I have seen some amazing examples), and clearing them!

Edited by Down8

yeah ... that was the whole point i made it so glad it's livening up someone elses game too. enjoy :)

Hey Zorilya,

I'm sorry if i have missed this in the 8 page thread, but. does this effect vehicles? - from my testing, when eiter adding the car to the groupleader running the nul = [this,50,true] execVM "Garrison_script.sqf"; script, nothing happens. - now, to have it run into the building would be a bad idear :P but can it go on patrol?

I'd like to add my thanks too - this script has massively improved the missions I make & had extended my enjoyment of the original game 10 fold (tend to use it with the CEP caching script & the combination is a game changer on a non-dedicated server). Any chance of a port to Arma 3 ?

yup on the hunt for garrison script for A3 myself as well..

I've never tested it on a vehicle... in theory the partol script would worrk on a vehicle but a vehicle cann't move into a building i think. perhaps it is p[hysically limited through pathfinding (like most things are hehe)

---------- Post added at 01:49 ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 ----------

Glad your finding it useful... yes the Garrison is being improved from A3... the normal version still works but i'm adding a little bit more functionallity and i'll hopefully be able to get to some MP issues that have been reported...

wow i finally know how to make AI units garrison in buildings but i cant do it myself i downloaded the file off armaholic but whenever i click preview it says Garrison_script.sqf not found i don't know were to put the file and what to create to put the file in so the script would work. This is my first script so i would like it if someone could tell me in detail how to download the file and what to do in order for the script to work. please if anyone can help me i would really appreciate it :D

Hey Zorilya,

I'm sorry if i have missed this in the 8 page thread, but. does this effect vehicles? - from my testing, when eiter adding the car to the groupleader running the nul = [this,50,true] execVM "Garrison_script.sqf"; script, nothing happens. - now, to have it run into the building would be a bad idear :P but can it go on patrol?

the script wasn't written with vehicles in mind ... i'll keep it in mind as an addition to the Patrol function :)

---------- Post added at 15:15 ---------- Previous post was at 15:14 ----------

I'd like to add my thanks too - this script has massively improved the missions I make & had extended my enjoyment of the original game 10 fold (tend to use it with the CEP caching script & the combination is a game changer on a non-dedicated server). Any chance of a port to Arma 3 ?

already done though i haven't done too much work on it lately

Very nice work Zorilya! A great fresh start for A3.

A tiny and minor request, that's probably well outside the scope of this script package; it would be great if they could randomly close some of the doors behind them. The open doors are very much a 'tell-tale' of breadcrumbs when you are using the script without waypoints; walk along the street, and look for open doors to focus building and room clearing on. If the door is closed, small chance OPFOR present (unless they came in a back door, of course!

I do fervently wish for the day when the AI gets a bit "smarter'', and actually (within a house) leave their rooms to track down firefight occurring in nearby rooms (again some level of randomness, some will and some wont. Or even some exit house to engage in nearby firefight, whilst others don't. Almost a variable setting a level of randomnees allowing them to break out of the garrison script when 'firefight' nearby?

Also I didn't see any crouching occurring at all in 1.7? All targets were standing at all times?

Keep up the great work, I won't be playing SP without this (and it may sneak into some MP missions to....)

Obvious question, for which I haven't found any reference to yet; has this been tested at all on dedicated sever, or solely SP? I think one of our members put this (back in March) into a dedicated server mission, with quite significant resulting stuttering and desync.

Just to help clarify for me (thanks).

This is all I need (place inside the leader of a units "init" ) correct?

nul = [this,100,true,[60,3],false,true] execVM "Garrison_script.sqf"

With that, as long as I have the Garrison script (SQF) and CQC_AI (SQF) within my mission folders all should be fine?

yes, you can modify those #'s depending on what you want the unit to do.

Obvious question, for which I haven't found any reference to yet; has this been tested at all on dedicated sever, or solely SP? I think one of our members put this (back in March) into a dedicated server mission, with quite significant resulting stuttering and desync.

So in this case, I'll assume this script is not dedicated server compatible? I used this for one of my Arma 3 mission (not yet released) and the desync was pretty bad. Comrades in Arms played it and report to me some people were having FPS rates to the single digit range.

I'm wondering is this dedicated server compatible or am I having other issues? I might try to remove the script to start off as a start.

i have used it on MP missions with our dedicated server. no problems reported.

Hi guys and gals,

I am using the garrison script in A3 to fortify a town, and to randomly place a CSAT officer that is an assassination target. Unfortunately the officer tends to just stand in a doorway and is too easily found. Is there anyway to force only upstairs positions when calling the garrison script?

Thanks for your help,

Mattnum

I don't think so, but you can use the setpos command for an individual unit, and the script for the rest. You'll have to experiment with the elevation parameter.

In the "in and out" garrison way points, in the "out" way point, how exactly should the activation be written out? I'm confused on how you set the "Garrison_Group" variable and all that.

Zorilya,

It's been forever since I last posted anything on either of your threads regarding the great Garrison script that you wrote, but I've been using it like crazy lately in the Editor, and was hoping that a few issues could be addressed.

(1) Even with the CQB script set to "True" and thus active in the game, the AI still respond pretty poorly in regards to turning their bodies in the direction of incoming fire, and approaching sounds. For example, I might run up a stair case, peak around the corner, and have two AI looking in directions that aren't facing the the stairwell. Can they hear movement up the steps, and, if so, pivot their bodies in order to see who it is that's arriving? Also, if they can hear their comrades being slain on a different floor, or in a neighboring room, could they be compelled to not only look in the direction of the chaos, but also then prompted to go investigate their comrades' concerns?

In my opinion, if a target isn't taken out in the first 1.5 seconds of an attack, the environment should simulate shouts out to their friends that they're under attack. Units that aren't actually engaged would then look/leave to investigate and assist.

(2) Even if not under attack, units embedded to the interior of a building should more frequently leave the room they're in and move to another portion of the structure, simulating possible conversations with their colleagues and/or patrolling.

(3) There's a small building that always have the AI looking in the wrong building, with very little chance of their responding smartly to the battle unfolding around them. Said structure looks like this: http://s11.postimg.org/d9mzh3r9f/AI_do_poorly_in_this_small_building.jpg

Thank you for all that you've done for the community Zorilya! :)

I was just reviewing older threads relating to mods and scripts that I like to use and after using Zorilya's Garrison script for some time now I have to say it really adds to the game play of the maps I make. I use it along with ASR_AI3 and the two together make a very intense and tactical experience. Thanks to Zorilya and to Robalo for some great work. I also found that setting the radio range in the ASR script plays a big part in helping both scripts work well by isolating pockets of engagement with a small range setting. Hope this helps people trying to stop the entire map from decending upon you all at once, ha ha.

I have a small video showing the use of both scripts working together.