^had it almost immediately (maybe 5-10min), on dedicated & separated server which is directly within my router's network (no lag nor sync issues). The server machine is just as powerful.

I was also using the first option if I recall correctly, 1min=15min was it I think.

About that auto-manned defense problem, like I said, AI could not just hop in into an airlifted TUSK (it was already lifted about 200meters above ground). The AI spawned directly into the tank and cancelled the airlift. The other time AI occupied loader position but that was another grounded TUSK (still shouldn't have happened).

I usually use max. number of auto-manned defenses with max. range.

I've lowered the skipTime delay to remove the lag, it shall be quite correct now. I think that an AI team member may have "hijacked" your tank (empty).

Auto manning AI cannot board vehicles for the simple reasons that it's only called upon Statics placement.

Did you enable UPSMON by any chance?

I'm not sure I understand. If I take a town then there is only one side, me. Or maybe you mean one side in the whole game, that is, resistance is the only one that can have defense troops in a town?

It used to be different. You take a town and immediately your troops begin to spawn. Now they don't spawn even if the town is at full SV.

When you take a town, you clear the AI holding it, after x time of inactivity (no enemy), your side's town ai will spawn in the town to defend it if needed, you just can't have defender+occupation spawning at the same time.

When you take a town, you clear the AI holding it, after x time of inactivity (no enemy), your side's town ai will spawn in the town to defend it if needed, you just can't have defender+occupation spawning at the same time.

Ah, something did change. I have to clear the AI. And I assume my AI spawn only if the town is attacked, not if I'm there. Which explains why I found the town empty.

The only problem is that it's not always easy to clear all the AI immediately. And the AI teams take a town and then leave right away. This makes it easy for the remaining resistance to take the town back, because my AI didn't spawn to defend it. The result is that the AI teams are moving back and forth, repeatedly taking towns that are taken back by resistance. So at the end they take very few towns. I assume what you called "counter attack upon capture" is the way to solve this?

My usual games only use 8 AI leaders per side, and the script lockups happen within 30 minutes, I reduced the number to 4 and got it to run for a hour and a half

@Benny

I cannot guarantee that it was auto-manned defenses that causes my tanks to auto-occupy. It could've been something else. If you want I can record it next time.

Ah, something did change. I have to clear the AI. And I assume my AI spawn only if the town is attacked, not if I'm there. Which explains why I found the town empty.

The only problem is that it's not always easy to clear all the AI immediately. And the AI teams take a town and then leave right away. This makes it easy for the remaining resistance to take the town back, because my AI didn't spawn to defend it. The result is that the AI teams are moving back and forth, repeatedly taking towns that are taken back by resistance. So at the end they take very few towns. I assume what you called "counter attack upon capture" is the way to solve this?

Future AI will perform S&D as long as there is remains of enemy in towns.

My usual games only use 8 AI leaders per side, and the script lockups happen within 30 minutes, I reduced the number to 4 and got it to run for a hour and a half

Hmmm that's more than odd? what are your machine specs and could you send me both your client and server .rpt?

@Benny

I cannot guarantee that it was auto-manned defenses that causes my tanks to auto-occupy. It could've been something else. If you want I can record it next time.

Sure it would be helpful if you could.

Here are my Specs:

Processor: Intel I7 -2630QM 2.00 GHz

RAM: 8Gb

Hard Drive: 2x 750Gb

Graphic Card: Radeon HD 6770M

ArmA 2 and OA DVD Version

BAF, PMC, and ACR (ACR not being used at the moment)

I will run another test later and upload the Server and Client RPT

EDIT:

Here are the Server and Client RPT, zipped into a compressed file

http://arma2.tylernelsen.com/files/Reports.zip

Edited by fredkatz
Added Server and Client RPT

Going to give this mission another go after a long absence from the ArmAverse. Looking forward to trying out the new additions! Setting up the parameters for the first time always takes forever though.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

Great Job Benny, I really like your Warfare version. But I have a few questions.

1 Is is planned for AI using M115 or MLRS or similar?

2 What does I need to request a icbm? I have the Factory and the money.

3 Why does the AI sometimes use the Trucks at the beginning to drive to the first Town and sometimes they dont?

Thanks for your work!

074 will be better with ai performance, the current ai fsm eat alot of resources.

How about an AI game mode with very few towns and minimal AI units and positions, but enough of them to show off some of the advanced features of Warfare BE with there being more cpu cycles to run those features well ? On Duala three or four towns could be spread right across the map (rather than just in a corner). That way you could have a roving game over much of Duala (or other large map) at high framerates and with some action always being somewhere ... inevitably around the few towns.

For 073, you just remove the playable slots from the editor.

For 071, you remove some of the last slots available (westSlot16..15..14...) and remove the group notion in initJIPCompatible.sqf.

OK, did that for 071. Definitely got a game with a better frame-rate for longer. But I still had too many towns. I need to try this with the least towns and probably with occupation turned off as well and even less slots.

The parameters setter doesn't seem to output the correct code for the mission. I copied in the "export" code from the application into the parameters.hpp file and now all parameters are set to default and they do not show up in game.

Here are my Specs:

Processor: Intel I7 -2630QM 2.00 GHz

RAM: 8Gb

Hard Drive: 2x 750Gb

Graphic Card: Radeon HD 6770M

ArmA 2 and OA DVD Version

BAF, PMC, and ACR (ACR not being used at the moment)

I will run another test later and upload the Server and Client RPT

EDIT:

Here are the Server and Client RPT, zipped into a compressed file

http://arma2.tylernelsen.com/files/Reports.zip

Do you have the same issue with the stock mission without any addons?

Going to give this mission another go after a long absence from the ArmAverse. Looking forward to trying out the new additions! Setting up the parameters for the first time always takes forever though.

Some parameters will be "reduced".

Great Job Benny, I really like your Warfare version. But I have a few questions.

1 Is is planned for AI using M115 or MLRS or similar?

2 What does I need to request a icbm? I have the Factory and the money.

3 Why does the AI sometimes use the Trucks at the beginning to drive to the first Town and sometimes they dont?

Thanks for your work!

AI will use artillery soon.

ICBM requires an upgrade.

It depends if it's 071 or above (UPSMON also make them use unused vehicles).

OK, did that for 071. Definitely got a game with a better frame-rate for longer. But I still had too many towns. I need to try this with the least towns and probably with occupation turned off as well and even less slots.

You can reduce towns via the parameters (Towns: Amount).

The parameters setter doesn't seem to output the correct code for the mission. I copied in the "export" code from the application into the parameters.hpp file and now all parameters are set to default and they do not show up in game.

I have to update the parameter setter, it won't work above 072.

You can reduce towns via the parameters (Towns: Amount).

OK, I could not start it on the smallest number of towns setting as I get "DEBUG. The towns initialisation script cannot be fixed" which comes up in a little brown box while "Initialising..." is on the screen.

But I carried on testing with minimal towns (the next up from the problematic very few towns setting) with Occupation turned off as I think this is what slows everything down when lots of towns are occupied. Just had a really nice game for an hour or so but with only a few towns taken so far. A lot of AI events and things like resistance firing back and being aggressive seem to depend on the engine running without being hampered by too many events going on. Would really like to see WBE being used for some kind of WW2 Warfare mode for some of the North African desert battles for example. One of Icebreakers islands could be used for this as a kind of "set" for WW2 battles. I mentioned this idea to Hell in the Pacific and suggested getting permission from you to use WBE as a possible basis for it.

It looks like one of my addon scripts are causing the lag, I tested the Beta4 with no mods loaded and it ran for 1:30 with no problems at a constant 20 FPS, now comes the hard part to find which addon is causing major script lag

Thanks for the help, ArmA is not the same without Warfare :cool:

@DJ_Barney I have had problems with the game starting to lag after 3 or 4 hours of gameplay, so I wrote a system to backup the towns information (like owning side, supplyvalue, ect.) and then on reload use the saved information to start kinda where you left off, It allows playing a game over multiple server restarts and multiple days

... too many events going on.
yeah, so true......All Squads went out to capture different towns and the server FPS goes down^^....a system to prevent to many activated towns or so would help. Maybe only the targets should be activated for capturing and spawning enemy and gives the Commander higher command level in non territorial mode. hope for some tweaks or ideas in this direction:)

Hell, I'd like to see territorial mode become a permenant BE mechanic, since it's a win-win anyways. Less AI, less lag, more pvp.

Hell, I'd like to see territorial mode become a permenant BE mechanic, since it's a win-win anyways. Less AI, less lag, more pvp.

Could you explain to me how territorial works differently to the norm? I have tried a few games with this param on and I also notice the game is more fun!

Just no idea why! :D

nice to have something to boost imersion/replayability, such as [already added]patrols, allies bases, random encounters/missions and so.

just like addint something like "excanging intelligence/SITREP" feature into Resistance team too, working even without "Resistance reinforcents" feature turned off.

can [reasonably]cripple economical efficiency of motorized units :-) and boost more attentions to tactic )

also could be nice to incorporate some MOO/Window of opportunity into both UI and features :]

such as sidde-abilities, usuable by both player and AI units, charged/priced by both money and supplies. starting from airstrike, remote minelaying and any other kind of sensible support :-)

also some efforts into further simulating everyday warfare logistics/military economics woul be nice. turned on, this could boost further impact from guerrilla warfare[cuz majority of battler perforamce of both mechanized/armor and air/naval units depend on support activity about 95% time :-]

also ambient side-helpers teams, operated from [absent;]off-map base, would be handy, such as medevac support team, responding after you[or you side AI;] request, unless it shot down by enemy AA or you haven't had required resources[2request it], request ECM, ELINT, NBC Recon, mortar/missile/arty/supply strike, summon [friendly]combat dogs, reinforce position [with or without AUX vehicles and structures. depend upgrades you had].

also would be welcome RPG elements on commander/team-level, such as mutually-exclusive decisions in upgrade tree[you can't had Cruise missile/nuke AND UAV in same time or airdrop or ammo crates for example. and other mixes that you(and you "common sense")consider weird/unrealistic].

Edited by BasileyOne

So I played for a lot longer this time and never dipped below 10-12 fps. That was with 10 slots either side (edited out of the script file) and with occupation turned off. Resistance light. Duala again. Quad Core Q6600. Nvidia 9800GT. WinXP. Keep forgetting I'm running the latest beta and should probably run a non-beta play of a game.

Territorial is good for CO-OP style playing ,not for strategical games ... i mean those tight games !

Benny,

Maybe I'm completely helpless in this area, however I tried following your editing instructions to add gear, and try changing the MHQ to a Heli with no success. When I try to run a LAN game it immediately crashes and I receive "Data File too short 'MPMissions\56_warfarev2_073litecobeta4.Takistan.pbo'. Expected -1317893416 B, got 8022476 B.

To clarify, the gear item I am trying to add is a mod folder item.

thanks!

OK, I could not start it on the smallest number of towns setting as I get "DEBUG. The towns initialisation script cannot be fixed" which comes up in a little brown box while "Initialising..." is on the screen.

But I carried on testing with minimal towns (the next up from the problematic very few towns setting) with Occupation turned off as I think this is what slows everything down when lots of towns are occupied. Just had a really nice game for an hour or so but with only a few towns taken so far. A lot of AI events and things like resistance firing back and being aggressive seem to depend on the engine running without being hampered by too many events going on. Would really like to see WBE being used for some kind of WW2 Warfare mode for some of the North African desert battles for example. One of Icebreakers islands could be used for this as a kind of "set" for WW2 battles. I mentioned this idea to Hell in the Pacific and suggested getting permission from you to use WBE as a possible basis for it.

The error message shall be gone in 073 (The new mission.sqm is very flexible regarding towns).

It looks like one of my addon scripts are causing the lag, I tested the Beta4 with no mods loaded and it ran for 1:30 with no problems at a constant 20 FPS, now comes the hard part to find which addon is causing major script lag

Thanks for the help, ArmA is not the same without Warfare :cool:

@DJ_Barney I have had problems with the game starting to lag after 3 or 4 hours of gameplay, so I wrote a system to backup the towns information (like owning side, supplyvalue, ect.) and then on reload use the saved information to start kinda where you left off, It allows playing a game over multiple server restarts and multiple days

Glad to see it fixed :)

yeah, so true......All Squads went out to capture different towns and the server FPS goes down^^....a system to prevent to many activated towns or so would help. Maybe only the targets should be activated for capturing and spawning enemy and gives the Commander higher command level in non territorial mode. hope for some tweaks or ideas in this direction:)

Commander / AI will be the main road to follow in 074 with a new commanding menu & Dynamic AI squads. Also AI Artillery battery.

True, i'll improve it further. Any ideas are also welcome regarding it.

nice to have something to boost imersion/replayability, such as [already added]patrols, allies bases, random encounters/missions and so.

just like addint something like "excanging intelligence/SITREP" feature into Resistance team too, working even without "Resistance reinforcents" feature turned off.

can [reasonably]cripple economical efficiency of motorized units :-) and boost more attentions to tactic )

also could be nice to incorporate some MOO/Window of opportunity into both UI and features :]

such as sidde-abilities, usuable by both player and AI units, charged/priced by both money and supplies. starting from airstrike, remote minelaying and any other kind of sensible support :-)

also some efforts into further simulating everyday warfare logistics/military economics woul be nice. turned on, this could boost further impact from guerrilla warfare[cuz majority of battler perforamce of both mechanized/armor and air/naval units depend on support activity about 95% time :-]

also ambient side-helpers teams, operated from [absent;]off-map base, would be handy, such as medevac support team, responding after you[or you side AI;] request, unless it shot down by enemy AA or you haven't had required resources[2request it], request ECM, ELINT, NBC Recon, mortar/missile/arty/supply strike, summon [friendly]combat dogs, reinforce position [with or without AUX vehicles and structures. depend upgrades you had].

also would be welcome RPG elements on commander/team-level, such as mutually-exclusive decisions in upgrade tree[you can't had Cruise missile/nuke AND UAV in same time or airdrop or ammo crates for example. and other mixes that you(and you "common sense")consider weird/unrealistic].

Need to keep a balance between performance/fun/server fps thought. Nice ideas otherwise.

So I played for a lot longer this time and never dipped below 10-12 fps. That was with 10 slots either side (edited out of the script file) and with occupation turned off. Resistance light. Duala again. Quad Core Q6600. Nvidia 9800GT. WinXP. Keep forgetting I'm running the latest beta and should probably run a non-beta play of a game.

Nice, performance will be way better in 073 and even better in 074. Most of the core FSM were heavily reworked.

Territorial is good for CO-OP style playing ,not for strategical games ... i mean those tight games !

Depends... ;)

Benny,

Maybe I'm completely helpless in this area, however I tried following your editing instructions to add gear, and try changing the MHQ to a Heli with no success. When I try to run a LAN game it immediately crashes and I receive "Data File too short 'MPMissions\56_warfarev2_073litecobeta4.Takistan.pbo'. Expected -1317893416 B, got 8022476 B.

To clarify, the gear item I am trying to add is a mod folder item.

thanks!

Hey try to pack the mission with cpbo.exe from Kegetys's arma tool pack.

Something came to mind. Would it be possible to code a squad-separable unit purchasing? For example, I want to occupy defensive positions with purchased and customized crewmen but I don't want them to fill all my squad slots. The way it could work is to buy a squad unit, gear it up, place in the desired position (like MK nest), then detach it from squad. This would be a lot better for me than auto-manned defense.

Edited by Syphonix

I seem to have this issue with AI spawning on disconnected land (no bridge) at SE corner of Duala. I voted myself in as Commander and found "AI disband" and "Set default spawn" but the AI always spawns on that disconnected part of the island. Must be a good bar there, or some kind of illegal rave, or maybe they just don't like me :confused:.

I'll have a look through the scripts myself but maybe someone already has a fix for this that I can use until 0.74 comes out ?

Could you explain to me how territorial works differently to the norm? I have tried a few games with this param on and I also notice the game is more fun!

Just no idea why! :D

Basically, it turns the map into a more strategically demanding battlefield. Each team, at first, is given only a single town they can capture, denoted by the large red circle. Each time they take a town, one or more uncaptured towns becomes available for capture, eventually giving each team a "battlefront". This battlefront is where the majority of players will be, because it's where all the capturable towns are. Which means that when the teams progress enough to have battlefronts that meet, some serious PVP action ensues, mostly minus pesky AI. This param has the added benefit of directing players to fewer towns, therefore increasing teamwork and reducing AI CPU load.

I disagree. In fact, I find the exact opposite to be true. With territorial game mode on, large co-op becomes a cakewalk as 18-30 guys literally just stroll through each town against the ill-equipped AI. In pvp, it leads to more pvp action, while breaking areas of land up into strategical areas of interest, requiring more thought on advancement and defense, as well as base placement.

True, i'll improve it further. Any ideas are also welcome regarding it.

I think the creation of forward operating bases will drastically increase the survivability of red and blue vs insurgents all on it's own. The mechanic itself is pretty sound. Outside of the adjustments that need to be made when considering a player run insurgence faction, I think the only thing that could really make it better is more indications for noob players, so they know what they're supposed to do and where to go. The red circle is more than enough for experienced players, but any time we play with it on, there's still huge groups of clueless players that haplessly float around the map not doing a damn thing outside of consistently dying.