Sign in to follow this  
Fish911503

Sending Maya Models To Oxygen

I want to build models in Maya and Bring them over to oxygen so they can be used in a mod. I am new to modeling for games. All I know is polys need to be triangulated. On some models I get error:

Extra characters on line (maybe more vertices on face than supported) at line 862,

What else could it be other than n-gons?

Is there a way for me to check line 862?

Can anyone offer tips for preparing Maya models to be brought into oxygen? Like

naming conventions, topology or shader\material restrictions, ect..

I would prefer to work in Maya as much as possible...and only do in oxygen what can't be done in Maya.

Thanks

Edited by Fish911503

Thanks...well I gather from that that uv's will be imported with model. I hope this apply's to .obj as well. I'm so spoiled with headus.

I want to build models in Maya and Bring them over to oxygen so they can be used in a mod. I am new to modeling for games. All I know is polys need to be triangulated. On some models I get error:

Extra characters on line (maybe more vertices on face than supported) at line 862,

What else could it be other than n-gons?

Is there a way for me to check line 862?

Can anyone offer tips for preparing Maya models to be brought into oxygen? Like

naming conventions, topology or shader\material restrictions, ect..

I would prefer to work in Maya as much as possible...and only do in oxygen what can't be done in Maya.

Thanks

1. the model doesn't need to be traingulated. It is advisable to have it optimized and traingulated since DX works only with triangles either way, but you can have the faces quads just as well. Triangulation is a optimizing step in itself, since you get to choose which way the triangles should be inside the quads (i am making an educated guess you are using quads for modelling), and you don't allow on export automated triangulation, which might break the smoothing groups.

2. make sure you don't have any ngons, or other sort of multiple face geometry. If you export from maya .obj, you should have the option to keep things quads or triangulate, while .3ds file format will triangulate your entire mesh regardless.

3. i have no clue what that error is about. Care to share what sort of file type you are importing in O2?

This is not maya but 3ds max tutorial: PMC Editing Wiki: How to import a 3DS model.

That is not a 3ds max tutorial (max files are named .max and NOT 3ds). That is for generic .3ds file format (which is one of the oldest format for 3d files out there).

I for one would opt for OBJ instead.

Thanks...well I gather from that that uv's will be imported with model. I hope this apply's to .obj as well. I'm so spoiled with headus.

yes, UV texture coordinates are is kept for both obj and 3ds files.

Sorry my bad for the wording, I'm not 3ds <whatever> guy so I don't know or care about the designations.

Well it would be best if you learnt about them if you wish to keep giving information about them.

I'm with pufu, I would go with the obj format... and when you export / import, make sure not to optimize vertices.... I don't personally export materials or material references but if you have a lot of crazy material cuts it might save time to have some broken material references on your model to just replace directly when you have it in O2.

Edited by Max Power

Thanks for replies......I am using obj to import into oxygen.

I also discovered the handy 3ds plugin native in Maya which means I can bring models back into Maya for tweaking. But there are some challenges with this as well.

Why is RVE and oxygen like this? Are there benefits? Stupid Q?