sickboy

Play withSIX Community Preview [Evolution of SIX Launcher and in time also SU]

With the penultimate and the last update as well (.340), when PwS asked me to Update and restart, a dialog popped up during the MSI install progress telling me that it need to reboot in order to update (don't remember the exact text), with Ok and Cancel. Clicking Ok, PwS finished updating and restarted, without the reboot. Is the reboot really needed, and is this expected behaviour?

It could mean some of the PwS processes are still running while executing the update,

which could indicate either extremely fast system and operation, or a bug, or both, will investigate, thanks!

Hi Sickboy, if you want some installer logs, just drop me a pm. Extremely fast system, heh :) I guess not, by my ingame FPS... ;) (though if the installer does just few file IO ops, that might well be the case, since it's a quad on fast SSD with 16gigs RAM, and usually when I start PwS it's right after boot to bootcamp with not much processes running, so if the OS caches the file IO in RAM...dunno).

Original post: http://play.withsix....compatibilities

Background

Recently, especially last weekend, a lot of reports came in from users having issues downloading and installing mods, or at least getting low speeds. On top of that, ongoing compatibility issues with some security suites didn’t help the situation.

Weekends, especially in the CET evening times, are usually high tide, so it is to be expected that some speeds may vary. However on top of the usual high tide, another game mode for one of the larger mods was released, and it seems everyone was waiting in line to download the mod, this added extra strain on the network. Aborted and restarted transfers amplified the problem further.

What we have done to fix it

That is probably the first thing you’re wondering about smile.png

• For starters, we’ve expanded the network capacity again, with several new nodes in Europe, improving the reliability, and the performance (download speed) considerably.
  • Additionally we have tweaked the configuration of the nodes to further improve and maximize the bandwidth potential. This is an ongoing process, we’re continuously monitoring and tweaking.
  • Lastly, we’ve released updates to the Play withSIX client that further improve the reliability of the distribution process, and the compatibility with security suites. It now has better fallback, better recovery, and is now also more lenient towards failed transfers. On top of all that, when things do go wrong, errors are handled better, with better descriptions, possible resolutions and workarounds are listed, and as a bonus, all that is put into a much more beautiful and useful dialog:

1z6dshv.png

Finally

We’ve added a Troubleshooting FAQ. It also explains why there are more security suite incompatibilities compared to other products.

If you still run into any issue, have any questions, suggestions or feedback, we would love to hear from you over at play.withsix.com/support

We continue to improve, support and innovate coming months - exciting times ahead.

Stay tuned for more!

Downloaded this tool over the weekend and it already has changed my life within Arma2 CO. I just had a couple of questions about it quickly:

1. I downloaded Six launcher and Six Updater the same weekend because I thought i needed them too, but I don't right? Play with 6 does it all?

2. I already had about 100 mods individually installed from Armaholic and BI forums. With Play with 6 some of them are recognized and synced (I selected main Arma2 folder as mod location). Any existing manually installed mod remains in place and only a .rsync sub-folder gets added right?

What I really mean is: will PwS alter any existing mods other than adding a .rsync folder?

3. any new mod described above will still be accessible for single player use? Because i use spirited Machine's ArmA Launcher for Single player.

Thanks for this tool, it really changes things for the best.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Nice tool!

Just started using it to aquire the latest ACE mod, server browser is also a big plus for me I like it.

But one question about the browser, Is there a way to filter out DAYZ servers only?

Thanks!

You can filter the servers by game/mod/server type in the upper right corner of the application somewhere.....I am not at my game machine right now so can't tell you for sure as It's new to me too...but its def there if you look hard...:}\

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Other quick question:

when I install a new mod to my Arma2 folder with PwS, the server key appears in the keys subfolder. Do I have to manually move it the keys folder? Right now its a bit of a pain as I have updated/downloaded at least 200 new mods thanks to PwS. That's a lot of mouse clicks....

Stil I dont mind, its making the game folders nice and organized.

Edited by BlackADD3R

Downloaded this tool over the weekend and it already has changed my life within Arma2 CO.
Glad to hear!
I just had a couple of questions about it quickly:
Sure np!
1. I downloaded Six launcher and Six Updater the same weekend because I thought i needed them too, but I don't right? Play with 6 does it all?
PwS replaces SU/SL nearly completely, there are a few things that still need implementing in PwS. If you dont miss them, I would definitely stick to PwS.
2. I already had about 100 mods individually installed from Armaholic and BI forums. With Play with 6 some of them are recognized and synced (I selected main Arma2 folder as mod location). Any existing manually installed mod remains in place and only a .rsync sub-folder gets added right?

What I really mean is: will PwS alter any existing mods other than adding a .rsync folder?

A .rsync subfolder is only added when a modfolder is converted and should only happen if that mod also exists on our network,

Once it is converted it is ready to sync itself up to the version as available on the network. An install/update action will make this happen.

So the answer is yes, the modfolder could be altered if the content was different from the content on the network.

3. any new mod described above will still be accessible for single player use? Because i use spirited Machine's ArmA Launcher for Single player.
Yes that should be NP. If dependencies are split however over other modfolders, you might have to make an adjustment by e.g including dependencies.

Unlike PwS, to the best of my knowledge, there are few tools that are dependency aware (or game/edition/version aware).

We hope to improve launching with modsets, groups, etc also for Single Player, making it more easy and fun to use.

Thanks for this tool, it really changes things for the best.
Appreciated and np :)

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

You can filter the servers by game/mod/server type in the upper right corner of the application somewhere.....I am not at my game machine right now so can't tell you for sure as It's new to me too...but its def there if you look hard...:}\
For this specific case, I would refer to http://getsatisfaction.withsix.com/withsix/topics/add_to_filter_of_servers_function_exclusion_by_name_mods_improvement_option_hide_modded

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Other quick question:

when I install a new mod to my Arma2 folder with PwS, the server key appears in the keys subfolder. Do I have to manually move it the keys folder? Right now its a bit of a pain as I have updated/downloaded at least 200 new mods thanks to PwS. That's a lot of mouse clicks....

Stil I dont mind, its making the game folders nice and organized.

Hehe, no worries, PwS generally installs all files necessary for a mod to work. The bikeys are required on servers only. In the old SIX Updater there's the "Process BIKeys" action who will put the BIKeys in place if you want to run a server. Edited by Sickboy

WOW, such a quick response and you answered all my questions too!!!

I never used Six updater or Six launcher so I will not miss them, what do I care?

I just started playing multiplayer this weekend, always only used SP..but now....the world is open to me.

I was just scared that any mods I have may be negatively affected in my original setup.

Heck, if they get updated and synced to the latest versions its actually a good thing, for SP or MP alike it's a bonus.

Can't wait to get home and play (with 6) he he he he .

Thanks for taking the time, this is HUGE. Everyone needs to get on board!!!

**************Been playing Arma2 for two years tweaking folders, copying & installing mods, sleepless nights, wife hates me...children neglected... etc...and in one day Play With 6 solved all my headaches************

Edited by BlackADD3R

Can't wait to get home and play (with 6) he he he he .

Thanks for taking the time, this is HUGE. Everyone needs to get on board!!!

**************Been playing Arma2 for two years tweaking folders, copying & installing mods, sleepless nights, wife hates me...children neglected... etc...and in one day Play With 6 solved all my headaches************

Haha, that's the spirit!! Really, it's amazing to hear, and further strengthens our resolve, to bring you more, better, faster and more stable :)

Stay tuned! :) Also feedback, suggestions and bug reports very welcome, though it are busy times atm.

I just wanted to take the time to say thank you for this program. It has made everything much easier and smoother. Back in the day the mod jungle was impenetrable to many but thanks to Playwithsix the jungle is easily tamed. Also your support system seems to be topnotch.

After all this I also have an idea for development.

Could it be made that when an user downloads ACE mod for the first time that he is asked to set the arma userprofile name in the settings after it has been installed? Its always the same problem when a new player comes and cant seem to use the ace keys.

Once again thanks to you guys for making this.

I just wanted to take the time to say thank you for this program. It has made everything much easier and smoother. Back in the day the mod jungle was impenetrable to many but thanks to Playwithsix the jungle is easily tamed.

... Once again thanks to you guys for making this.

Thanks really appreciated!
Also your support system seems to be topnotch.
Thanks, we try to deal with issues quickly and swiftly. Usually the only concern is getting the report (on time) to begin with :)
After all this I also have an idea for development.

Could it be made that when an user downloads ACE mod for the first time that he is asked to set the arma userprofile name in the settings after it has been installed? Its always the same problem when a new player comes and cant seem to use the ace keys.

Great, and good point thanks.

Added it to the pile! :) http://getsatisfaction.withsix.com/withsix/topics/ask_to_set_the_player_profile_for_ace

Original post: http://play.withsix.com/posts/91-play-withsix-beta-build-355-released

The latest Play withSIX v1.2 BETA build (355) is now available on auto-update!

This build brings several new and improved features.

This is a BETA update, only available if you enable Beta Updates in the Application Settings

2drz1gx_thumb.jpg

(click image to enlarge)

Highlights

• Multi Game support! ARMA 3 Alpha support prepared. Take on Helicopters, Iron Front, Carrier Command, ARMA 2 Original and Operation Arrowhead support added.
  • New status bar with status, progress, connection and security suite info
  • Download performand and progress perceptence improvements

Many more big and small improvements, Check the full changelog for details.

In case of feedback or issues, please let us know

Enjoy!

Stay tuned for another incoming transmission, later today!

Edited by Sickboy

Original post: http://play.withsix....-plans-revealed

Past,

A little while ago we’ve released improvements for Download issues, low speeds and security suite incompatibilities.

More recently we’ve added Steam and Windows Live login support.

Present,

We’ve just released a new BETA of Play withSIX, with Multi Game support, new status bar and improved downloading.

2drz1gx_thumb.jpg

Play withSIX will be fully ARMA 3 Alpha compatible, once it is released on 5 march!

1y08xy.jpg

and Future

For the near future we have SU Custom Repository, Custom modsets and Local mods support planned.

Multi-Version support for content like Mods on our network are also in the pipeline.

For the farther future we are working on improving our web services but more on that later.

There are several UI improvements we are working on that will be available in the near future.

There are also more radical design changes in the pipeline, but it is too early right now.

We are also working on Publishing features for the dev community, and features more useful to gaming communities (clans etc).

All in all, Play withSIX is starting to shape up nicely, and is soon ready to move out of Preview phase.

Stay tuned for more reveals coming time!

Edited by Sickboy

Original post: http://play.withsix.com/posts/93-play-withsix-build-360-released-arma-3-and-dlc-support

Following the recent BETA release: http://play.withsix....ld-355-released

The latest Play withSIX v1.2 build (360) is now available on auto-update!

This build brings several new and improved features.

dbpqd_thumb.png

(click image to enlarge)

Highlights

• Multi Game support now official! Full ARMA 3 Alpha support. Take on Helicopters, Iron Front, Carrier Command, ARMA 2 Original and Operation Arrowhead support added.
  • DLC support

Many more big and small improvements, Check the full changelog for details.

In case of feedback or issues, please let us know

Enjoy!

Edited by Sickboy

when will DayZ Namalsk be updated to 0.741? :)

How would one get his own mod listed on SIX? Or is it some invite-only deal?

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

[/color]Are there any specifics to watch? Like what file and size the logo should be? Other info SIX needs to list it or does one simply toss the download link and SIX handles it all alone?

After some time experiencing with that great new tool at the moment one question's still in my head:

Is it possible to select one or more mods from the list under "Adding mods to selected set" not to add it (or them) to an existing set but rather for creating a new "custom set" on my own ?

meaning: how can I create a custom mod set from buttom up by picking mods ONLY from the column (very systematic organized :-) thx for that, too) under "Adding mods to selected set" (those without icons/pics), so that they don't slip into one of the "predefined" sets (shown in the middle part of the UI, those with icons/pics).

maybe I cannot see the wood for the trees, but a little tip would be great ... :o

... ooh, there's another little question, just came up: is it possible to change the "Showing 20 mods" into "Showing [n] mods" ?

Thx for your help ... and have a nice weekend.

Sickboy, thx for the link.

What I meant with 20 to n was: is it possible to let it show for example 30 mods ... but I guess now 20 is a static value.

Sickboy, thx for the link.

What I meant with 20 to n was: is it possible to let it show for example 30 mods ... but I guess now 20 is a static value.

Nah, there are just 20 supported modsets atm for arma 2 OA, you can add any of the 400+ supported mods to these sets, or create a temporary new modset, detailed in the link

How do I process the BIKeys with PWS when using it to start a dedicated server? Similar to the "Process BIKeys" option in SU?