Sign in to follow this  
bohica

Game Server Requirements

Hello all,

With the ongoing problems of too few game slots for ARMA OA Warfare, or game servers that crash, What is needed to set up a game server at home?

1. Is the adsl 2+ too slow?

2. How much RAM do you need? 8Gb 12Gb

3. Will a gane hosted from the multiplayer screen work ok for many people over the wide internet?

I'm curious, as the last few times I have tried to get on the one Games on net arma server that is left, (ll gone over to DAYZ) all 32 slots are full.

Can I run an arma game server successfully from home? The unit would not need a video card only a good processor and lots of RAM.

Cheers

Bohica

Moved to ARMA 2 & OA - MULTIPLAYER / ARMA 2 & OA - Servers & Administration

You might notice when you search this section you are not the first to ask this question.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Dedicated_Server

We recommend using 2 GHz machine, with 512 MB RAM and a 1 Mbps upload network bandwidth.

ArmA: You need either a Microsoft Windows 2000/XP or Linux computer to run an ArmA dedicated server.

Arma 2: You need a Microsoft Windows XP/2000/Vista/2008/Seven computer to run an Arma 2 dedicated server, yet a version of Linux server is also available.

Here is how I got that answer: http://bit.ly/Pih9hA

Edited by pchaxor

How many slots do you want to run? What is the uplink on your adsl?

As for the machine, the key to hosting lots of players is cpu core speed, since today most of the AI related tasks aren't fully multi-threaded, having a high clock rate gives you better performance when hosting... memory isn't much of an issue for a single game, 2 to 3 gigs should be plenty if there is nothing else running on the server... again bandwidth and cpu clock rate are the two key issues that will limit you.

Hello all,

With the ongoing problems of too few game slots for ARMA OA Warfare, or game servers that crash, What is needed to set up a game server at home?

1. Is the adsl 2+ too slow?

2. How much RAM do you need? 8Gb 12Gb

3. Will a gane hosted from the multiplayer screen work ok for many people over the wide internet?

I'm curious, as the last few times I have tried to get on the one Games on net arma server that is left, (ll gone over to DAYZ) all 32 slots are full.

Can I run an arma game server successfully from home? The unit would not need a video card only a good processor and lots of RAM.

Cheers

Bohica