Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Day Z Announced as standalone title.

So the dumbed down console ports flooding the market the last several years is a myth eh?

...dunno, are you saying that every console port must be dumbed down? :)

...in any case, it seems to me that rather a lot of people already consider DayZ to be "dumbed down".... why the particular attention to a console port?

Why wouldn't you be able to lean around corners?

Wasn't Flashpoint Elite the first of our games with lean? (not sure, foggy memory).

Because the mere presence of a console controller in the room will overpower your brain's defenses with the wireless signal and turn you into a mindless slave connecting it to XBox live where the suits will upload commands directly into your mind. So you see, your design imperatives mean nothing before the hypnotic power of the 360.

So if I have read the last 1000 words or so correctly ,

The world and the universe including but not limited to crabs will die if BIS make DayZ for consoles and PC.

Wow bet Nostradamus saw that one .

A video representation of how i read it lol

NZdrB7uklg8

Edited by Thromp

The interview of Dean Hall on Rock Paper Shotgun is quite interesting:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/17/day-z-standalone/#more-120637

dogz.jpg

I am going to miss his excitement for brutal experimentation in regards to Arma 3 but wish his project all the best. I really hope he gets to push it further and further to the limits of this scenario.

There are some interesting tidbits that are of interest even to Arma-only players, such as the assemby of a team with old Operation Flashpoint members and its (at least) initial use of a modified Arma 2 (and not Arma 3) engine both streamlined (with unnecessary Arma elements stripped off) and expanded (such as with limited ragdoll and underground structures).

RPS: Is the standalone more Arma 2 or more Arma 3?

Hall: It’s more like Arma 2.5, and there’s a very important reason for that. Arma 2 has reached a certain level of maturity, and that’s important for Day Z. We want to do things like support a simple ragdoll, rather than the complex ragdoll that Arma 3 has, because we’re multiplayer and PvP focused. So yeah it’s more like Arma 2.5, but because we’ve got the guys who created the engine working directly on this game, we could soon see Day Z codebase looking very different. It’s actually based more on the Take On Helicopters architecture than what we’ve done with Arma 3.

Whether will be any code exchange between Arma 3 and DayZ, well, like with VBS, it will be a bit complicated.

Speaking of underground structures, as they are at the moment considering Skyrim-like instancing and not making actual holes in the environment (as it would be with VBS2 objects), that could hint that such functionality is absent from Arma 3 as well or only possible in RV 4 which the standalone DayZ won't use.

Edited by arigram

One thing I liked about that interview is that he said he was going to open the mod up to private servers, whereas before he claimed it was a very low priority and might not ever even happen. I think private servers will give people a lot more control over cheaters and more room to mod/run the game how they want.

...dunno, are you saying that every console port must be dumbed down? :)

...in any case, it seems to me that rather a lot of people already consider DayZ to be "dumbed down".... why the particular attention to a console port?

Ok, the one thing I see preventing the PC getting crappy console limitations dumped on it is the fact like you said. Rocket does what he wants regardless of what the forum posters say.

That has been a good and bad thing for DayZ because he doesn't listen much to people saying it's too hard, give us rocket launchers on spawn blah blah blah

but at the same time a lot of the issues with DayZ are also being ignored that have nothing to do with it just being a hardcore game but issues with the game "cheating" to kill you.

- Zombies spawning in your back pants pocket then killing you when you turn around.

instead of implementing a better spawning system that allows you clear or scope out an area and move in without the worry of being killed by spawning zombies

Rocket went ahead and made it even worse making zombies spawn indoors in the same room as you when you turn your back, on stairs or in doorways.

I don't mind being killed by zombies, it's being killed by ones that appear next to you out of thin air. It renders being stealthy, checking corners and rooms before you enter completely pointless.

If that was happening in Arma 2 you'd never hear the end of it.

One of the biggest complaints about DayZ's developement right now is the importance being given to adding new features and ignoring the broken stuff that exists now

instead of dealing with the issue with barbwire being used a griefing tool, Rocket went ahead and added yet another one... Bear traps.

Instead of focusing on the graphic glitches issue with renders DayZ unplayable in many parts of the maps, he's worrying about how to add dogs to the mix.

The last thing we need now is Rocket, the sole coder for the mod having console issues thrown on his already overflowing plate

DayZ isn't even a flushed out game yet, Find a gun, get ammo, get food, maybe some bandages,... thats really all there is right now

and once you've done those things there really isn't much else to it.

Putting your game on console also leads to you having to do a little bit of butt kissing to Microsoft and Sony.

You have to play by their rules if you want to play in their yard. Say bye bye to a good deal of your freedom and independence.

One of the biggest complaints about DayZ's developement right now is the importance being given to adding new features and ignoring the broken stuff that exists now

instead of dealing with the issue with barbwire being used a griefing tool, Rocket went ahead and added yet another one... Bear traps.

Well, while that is frustrating, what you have to realize is that DayZ is an Alpha, which means it is not feature-complete. Alpha is for adding features and basic functionality. Beta is where the majority of bugs and gameplay balance issues are addressed.

From the comments/outrage I've heard from many DayZ players, it seems that people bought ArmA 2 CO and jumped into DayZ, seemingly with the impression that they were buying a $30 mostly-bug-free game. That is completely the wrong way to look at it.

Well, while that is frustrating, what you have to realize is that DayZ is an Alpha, which means it is not feature-complete. Alpha is for adding features and basic functionality. Beta is where the majority of bugs and gameplay balance issues are addressed.

Yes, but the zombies which are a huge focus of the game have been broken from day 1 pretty much. They are a threat only because of their glitchiness, not much else.

even Rocket admits to that in interviews. I can't remember being killed by a zombie legitimately, it's always being bashed in the head through a wall, a concrete fence, from below through stairs or 30 foot flying fist leap into my face.

then of course the zig-zagging matrix agent style bullet dodging.

Until they are working near 100% it's hard to decide what should be added because you really don't know how the game plays until they are fixed.

From the comments/outrage I've heard from many DayZ players, it seems that people bought ArmA 2 CO and jumped into DayZ, seemingly with the impression that they were buying a $30 mostly-bug-free game. That is completely the wrong way to look at it.

Well, those people are those people and they do that with every Alpha but I'm talking about the people who understand what Alpha is, The common thread with them is... fix the zombies first and then add more features

if something like barbwire is nothing but a tool for griefers don't another another one like bear traps when you know full well what people are going to do with them.

Right now though the graphical glitches is #1 priority, DayZ is unplayable with those unless you spend all your time inland and not near the airports.

The hackers are having more fun and churning out most of the videos on Youtube with their uber weapons and loot collections then the regular players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAa14HpM-1o

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

DayZ Standalone Version: What to Expect

Project lead Dean Hall talks about new features for the PC version and the possibility of DayZ on consoles.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/08/15/dayz-on-consoles-could-happen

Seems Dean agrees that things are getting messy and needs to slow down a wee bit.

"This initial alpha is going to be not very ambitious. The initial release we’re going to do is going to be about stabilizing the mod, which is falling to pieces. Nearly two-hundred thousand people are playing it every day. It can’t survive.â€

"So DayZ is going to drive on as a bit of an experiment, and once it reaches a point when you say ‘ok, does this work on Mac, does this work on 360?’ From a business standpoint you’re cashing in, really, and from a consumer standpoint it’s good, because some people who might not like the super duper hardcore complex nature of the PC one, maybe they want a casual, and I’m using a word that’s probably going to make people cringe, version on 360"

There you have it, console version has to be dumbed way down to work. We shall see how this effects the PC, even if it doesn't get the dumbed down parts [Graphics/Gameplay/Controls] how will the development/Patching of thr PC version

be effected once he starts work on the console version?

Edited by jblackrupert

hi,

Congrats to DayZ team and BIS. You have made the right decision. I Just hope it will be mod supported like ArmA and that players will be allowed to run their own private server/hive and mission makers will be able to make their own missions. If not the game life time will be greatly reduced.

Greets.

cya.

Nikiller.

Edited by Nikiller

JBlack, you really don't like consoles do you? :p

JBlack, you really don't like consoles do you? :p

It's not that I don't like consoles, it's the the crap that leaches into the PC world that pretty much ruins formally PC exclusive games.

Other then games like Arma and the DCS series, developers have gotten lazy, just turning out on the cheap, easy to play, no challenge, no creativity games

which is the result of the console crowd being the target market for so long.

Walk into any store that carries a large collection of games and 99% of them are dumbed down console ports or just plain crappy games with not real creativity put into them.

theres really no point investing in a decent PC, keyboard and mouse..etc to play them. All that power just goes to waste.

Personally I don't think the Xbox360 and PS3 are real consoles, they're nothing more then non-intel/AMD PC's with propriatary connectors and OS stuffed in a DELL style case.

it actually makes more sense to buy a Dell in a small case with a decent CPU/GPU that you can put beside your TV and use a wireless keyboard and mouse combo

at least you can do a hell of lot more with it and have a massive amount of free games and apps to use on it.

Unless your a kid with no money consoles really make no sense.

They cost you the same amount of money over the life of the console buying overpriced games and controllers that you would pay on a decent PC.

A lot of consolers believe the myth that you need $2000 to buy a decent PC to play games on medium, part of that myth of course comes from companies like Alienware.

If Bohemia was announcing Arma 3 was going to be multi-platform instead of DayZ you know what would happen........ This forum would explode.

Edited by jblackrupert

What was it that BI said when asked if they'd ever do ARMA for consoles, "no comment"? My personal interpretation of that was "we're waiting on the specs of PS4/Xbox 720". :p

What was it that BI said when asked if they'd ever do ARMA for consoles, "no comment"? My personal interpretation of that was "we're waiting on the specs of PS4/Xbox 720". :p

I couldn't imagine playing Arma or DayZ any lower then an absolute minimum of 1920x1080. Unless it's an indoor shooter 720p looks like complete crap.

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Pretty good interview with Dean

Great interview - thanks for posting that jblackrupert. I am not much of a DayZ player but I will definitely buy into the standalone.

I can't see it working on a console in the current generation - maybe next gen. I kind of hope they do as a lot of my friends don't and will never use a PC for gaming (this is a lifestyle choice rather than an age/financial reason) - it would be great one day to play with them on a console.

Regarding the recent comment "Unless your a kid with no money consoles really make no sense." - I am 43 years old and financially independent and I love my Xbox and PS3. Most of my console friends are of the same age and financial status. What I like mainly is that they provide a hassle free way into gaming - you buy a console game and you know it's going to run on your console - no settings to mess with, no upgrades needed, just insert the disk and go. Also, my consoles are in a different room to my PC and are connected to a projector. Again, all I had to do was buy the console, plug it in and go. I have tried on a few occaisions to set up a media PC and it's definitely more hassle than buying a console, more expensive and has a shorter 'shelf life' before needing upgrades.

Having said all this, it's about the game too. I would only like to see it on a console if the next generation of consoles can support large servers with persistency - these are crucial to the success of DayZ and it just would not work if it 'made smaller'. So, as it stands DayZ is more suited to the PC, but we don't yet know what the next generation of consoles will be capable of.

Does anyone know if the arma 2 mod will be updated along with the standalone, or the arma 2 mod will be abandoned?

Does anyone know if the arma 2 mod will be updated along with the standalone, or the arma 2 mod will be abandoned?

Yes, but the Arma 2 mod is in really bad shape and the standalone is the future of DayZ.

Hopefully Dean and Bohemia won't just keep it around for too long just to keep sales of Arma 2 going.

The sooner they get the standlone out and people to make the switch the better.

The DayZ mod did it's job as a proof of concept and showed that there is a huge interest in a game like DayZ.

The DayZ specific parts of the patches are also having negative effects on Arma 2 according to Marek.

Watch the interview videos with Dean Hall and Marek and you'll get much more info then whats been posted so far on the DayZ forum.

There are many more videos but mostly a lot of repetition of what you see in the two videos above.

Just to get a little impression how the things are working atm:

Obviously some people aren't too thrilled that not much information has come out, and also that instead of that I've been travelling around visiting media and going to conferences. It's a fair point, we're trying to develop a game here not win an election. But there is some real value to the staging efforts that have been going on, an example being PAX where I am now. Initially, we weren't going to go. But when we looked at it, we realized the tremendous networking opportunity and a chance to discuss DayZ with some of the best and brightest minds in gaming. Already the trip has paid dividends.

The media stuff is also really important, they're a vessel to other areas of the industry. Yes, I end up saying the same thing again and again. That is just how it works. I cowboy up and deal with it. The apparent radio silence is more about me not really having anything to say, rather than ignoring things. My main effort now is "listening", which I have been carefully reading and collating the suggestion threads both here and on Reddit, as well as snooping on other sites.

Like someone put in another thread, what we are all more interested in now is what I actually DO not what I SAY. But, that doesn't remove the value in discussing the implications of what happened with DayZ, just maybe some developers/publishers will start putting more modding in games - and look at WHY DayZ was successful. I think that is more important even than the DayZ project itself.

So stay tuned, when I have finished collating the suggestion details and we have the backlog listed, I'll post more information.

Regarding patch 1.7.3, I'm not going to make the mistake of releasing a patch before it is ready. 1.7.3 just isnt ready yet.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/84895-why-the-radio-silence/

some extracts about the engine....

-----------------------------------

Will the standalone game be using the ARMA 3 engine? (long shot question, I know!)

It will be using its own branch of the Real Virtuality engine incorporating the best elements of all products - that's the awesome thing about the BIS flagship engine.

Zombies with rag doll physics? :D

I've got basic ragdoll high on the list.

When standalone DayZ comes out, how much will it differ from DayZ current version?

Lots of missing stuff or will there be added.

It will be a complete redevelopment of the same design, using mostly the same assets and some new, and some redesigned assets. Focus is on the engineering and architecture first.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/y4x6i/iama_rocket_potential_questions/

--------------------

Is the standalone more Arma 2 or more Arma 3?
It’s more like Arma 2.5, and there’s a very important reason for that. Arma 2 has reached a certain level of maturity, and that’s important for Day Z. We want to do things like support a simple ragdoll, rather than the complex ragdoll that Arma 3 has, because we’re multiplayer and PvP focused. So yeah it’s more like Arma 2.5, but because we’ve got the guys who created the engine working directly on this game, we could soon see Day Z codebase looking very different. It’s actually based more on the Take On Helicopters architecture than what we’ve done with Arma 3.
And are you going to be able to address any of the other issues, like lighting, weather effects and so on?
Yes, I think we will. Many of those issues, though, are on the back burner for now. Just how many will make it into our alpha release remains to be seen. But I’m hopeful. The first thing on the list of for me to expand the survival aspects of the game. We want it to be more complex, without being harder to learn. There should be a lot more options in that area, because that is what Day Z is really all about.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/17/day-z-standalone/

---------------------------

From a technical and design standpoint, what does being standalone free you up to do?
The biggest thing, I guess, that’s at the forefront for me—because my Facebook is literally flooded with messages about it—is being able to take on the hacking. It’s something that you never completely solve, you just have to keep on at it. Arma, as you know, is a very trusting engine, because that’s what it was designed to do. It was designed for a team of like-minded individuals to play. So that’s the first thing that we’ll be able to push forward with. I don’t like to say that we’ll lock it down, but we’ll get the experience polished for PvP. We’ll be able to start dealing with the hacking issues properly, and also lock down some of the key bugs. If we wanted to fix these right now, we’d have to mess with Arma too much. I think Arma deserves to be left alone to an extent, and not have DayZ putting in fixes that might cause it problems.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/21/interview-the-standalone-future-of-dayz-and-what-it-means-for-players/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0