Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Day Z Announced as standalone title.

So DayZ makes five million dollars already, what chance BIS can make a 64bit exe for dayz/arma3 and my computer can be used to it's full potential?

30% goes to Steam and whatnot.

So the dumbed down console ports flooding the market the last several years is a myth eh?

Go on steam and Origin and buy the following games and see if you're right.

F..E.A.R 1, 2 and 3

Thief 1, 2 and 3

Battlefield 2 and 3

Crysis 1 and 2

Pretty much any sports game like Baseball, go in the controls and see how well it goes when you try to configure your keyboard to play.... oh and don't forget to press ENTER to begin.

There are ports and there are ports. Some ports are pretty well implemented with good optimization and fluid controls. I played Dishonored just some days ago and a lot fun with it. Arcade'ish games can be fun too :)

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

P.S good luck to the Dayz team and BIS with SA, I hope you will get the result you are aiming for.

I might buy into the SA when I see it on sale. Not going to pay full load for the Chernarus map to play a tedius survival deathmatch with bunnyhoppers.

It's because you start off at 25% food and drink.

yes, because drinking 4 liters of water and powering through 3 cans of pasta, only to be hungry and thirsty again in 15min is NORMAL... (rolls eyes).

they need to make the eating/drinking calorie based. i go through enough food in an hour to feed a family of 4 for a day. obviously, some "tweaking" is needed.

Dynamo;2582789']yes' date=' because drinking 4 liters of water and powering through 3 cans of pasta, only to be hungry and thirsty again in 15min is NORMAL... (rolls eyes).

they need to make the eating/drinking calorie based. i go through enough food in an hour to feed a family of 4 for a day. obviously, some "tweaking" is needed.[/quote']

So we should have a can of beans and a bottle of water once in every 6 hours of playing? ;) Most of the players don't even stay alive that long.

But yes, some tweaking is definitely needed.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/156129-confirmed-upcoming-features-for-dayz/

More Zombies

Target delivery: Ongoing

We absolutely plan to have more zombies. To cope with the current total dynamic entity count of over 10000 we have had to make a great deal of optimizations. If loot is completely removed, we can easily run 4000 zombies in our debug builds. In the new year we will be optimizing the way we handle dynamic objects (such as loot) a great deal more which should give us significant savings - but the change was considered too risky to be done prior to alpha launch. If we had problems, we would have delayed the project further by months.

Multithreaded Server

Target delivery: Early 2014 & Ongoing

To assist with increasing player and zombie numbers, we will be parallelizing the server architecture. Currently RV does offload some extra threads off to other cores, but this is for rendering and file handling - neither of which are issues for the dedicated server which uses no rendering and has a greatly reduced file footprint. This should provide some very, very dramatic improvement in performance where additional cores are available. Note, however, that this will increase the complexity of hosting DayZ - it may mean that we see a greater dispersion in the capacities of DayZ servers.

Respawning Zombies & Loot

Target Delivery: Early 2014

Currently to have the server check if something needs respawning can cause an issue with performance. We did not want to go with a "scripted" solution for respawning, and it is expensive on server performance. Player spawning on the coast is conducted by the engine, and we are going to employ a similar process for managing zombie and loot spawn (possibly parallelized). This is a high priority task and zombie respawn at least is very close to being implemented.

Server Management Options

Target Delivery: Ongoing

Additional options for those hosting servers will be rolled out as soon as we can. We want to encourage a "hardcore" mode that will operate on a separate database, featuring things like first person only, no hide body, etc... In addition, we also want to provide passworded servers that will operate on their own shard of the database. This shard could be grouped, so that a group of passworded servers could operate on their own database. Eventually, we would like to see these different communities on their own db running their own variations of DayZ to meet specific communities needs.

Animals & Hunting

The AI for animals is based on the new AI for zombies (some will notice the old local ambient animals making zombie noises and acting aggressively!). We have a cutdown version of this we will be using for hosting animals, including those from ArmA2 as well as new animals such as a deer. We already have the meat models made, and we have the basics of cooking. So this functionality is quite close. It does have an impact on the server, and at the moment we could only run about 300 animals per server without seriously impacting performance (until we have started additional server optimization).

Additional Anti-hack and Security

Target Delivery: Late 2013

We are working on additional anti-hack to supplement the implementation of VAC. We have been working closely with Valve for VAC as well as our other anti-hack partner. Details of this will be released shortly. The most important thing to remember is that anti-hack is really the secondary defense - the primary defense should be good architecture. We have already identified (and fixed) several key vulnerabilities in the three days since launch. There are more we know about and I am sure more we don't. The purpose of this early phase of alpha is to identify and fix those. As our architecture now relies on the server controlling and adjudicating everything, we can close off locally controlled functions and back doors - which is what we have been doing.

Cooking & Gathering Resources

This is a system that was not completed prior to the alpha launch so is half-done. Additional work will be done and pushed when we can. This will include gas cookers (already ingame) and the creation of fireplaces. We will be allowing players to gather resources from the world, such as firewood, stones, etc... This will then be utilized by the existing crafting system.

I'm impressed. Deeply impressed.

Also, the multithreaded server sounds really really promising, as I'm sure that A3 will benefit from it as well. Combine it with the enhanced server that's being tested atm and baam, MP performance is no longer an issue! Ba-dum-tssh! :cancan: :pet13:

Yep that multithreaded servers sounds so good!

Here's hoping it hits ArmA 3 as well. Here's hoping that whatever they can multithread in the server can be applied where applicable to the client as well.

Just read RPS's impressions the bugs and glitches are expected,but it seems this went into "here's a shoe,you need to fix it,you need leather for it,you need a special type of leather,the special leather needs to be applied only a few times otherwise it will break the shoe,the shoe also needs shoelaces,not any sort of shoelaces but this brand specific shoelaces,the shoelaces are diseased,you died".

Holy micromanagement hell,this just went from zombie outbreak with survival elements(which I really enjoyed,hunt my dinner,find wood,make fire and cook it and so on) but on the way this ended Anno 1404 micromanagement level with zombies.

Already ~ 400.000 sales

BI can hire some programers.

We need more contents on A3.

but on the way this ended Anno 1404 micromanagement level with zombies.

Can confirm this is not the case :) The micromanagement isn't complicated at all.

Just read RPS's impressions the bugs and glitches are expected,but it seems this went into "here's a shoe,you need to fix it,you need leather for it,you need a special type of leather,the special leather needs to be applied only a few times otherwise it will break the shoe,the shoe also needs shoelaces,not any sort of shoelaces but this brand specific shoelaces,the shoelaces are diseased,you died".

Holy micromanagement hell,this just went from zombie outbreak with survival elements(which I really enjoyed,hunt my dinner,find wood,make fire and cook it and so on) but on the way this ended Anno 1404 micromanagement level with zombies.

Exactly my thoughts about it, tedius and to many 'chores'. Also from what I read it is now even more lonewolf unfriendly which sux, I find the lonewolf factor appealing. It's like EVE now which also greatly biased towards corps and large groups, which I have no interest in joining (just want to play a game for a few hours a day/week!).

My character hasn't died since the beginning and I've been lone wolf pretty much the whole time. When the zombies start to work which can take a while then we will see. i think it's good that lone wolfing would be hard and you want to team up with someone. Interacting with strangers is the best part of DayZ.

Also managing the inventory and everything else isn't hard. Common sense can get you far.

Great concept, bad players attitude...

I'm sure things like that will change once they add more zombies. Right now with the fireman axe you don't have any trouble for clearing an area :)

Also a lot of player seems to forget that if you kill a guy in the back/front (unless you headshot him), you have a great chance to damaged a lot of object that he was carrying.

Anyone care to elaborate on the "missing" lone wolf-factor?

Thats the intention of the devs right, to group together, stockpile loot, go on a kill frenzy as a group, etc. Lonewolfs will cary the shortend of the stick.

If it's the same like the mod it's shoot on sight most of the time.Stick with your buddies and don't take any chances if you already have good gear.In the early days of the mod it was actually ok,you could find good people to team but the popularity transformed it into "shoot first and don't bother asking questions".

Unless you're with buddies I don't know how devs want to change this.

My character hasn't died since the beginning and I've been lone wolf pretty much the whole time.

The hunt is on.

If it's the same like the mod it's shoot on sight most of the time.Stick with your buddies and don't take any chances if you already have good gear.In the early days of the mod it was actually ok,you could find good people to team but the popularity transformed it into "shoot first and don't bother asking questions".

Unless you're with buddies I don't know how devs want to change this.

Actually with the survival part maxed out, shooting on sight is not very usefull.

If you shoot you can damage the items, and also the blood is really Important, so most people prefers to Try to rob you or take your blood instead of shoot you.

I think that the killing on sight factor is going down.

Sorry for my english.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

I can't find a way to make a new thread to save my life. I work with forums all the time, and it's no where on this forum x-x. Sorry, but I don't know how else to post this.

I purchased the 30$ DayZ Alpha Access on Steam, but I was meaning to purchase the 80$ Supporter Access for DayZ. Is there any way that I can pay the other 50$ to upgrade to Supporter without having to buy it all over again for 80$? I was going for the Supporter and purchased the wrong thing. Is this possible or am I just going to have to buy it again?!

Can I donate 50$ and still gain access to the Supporter Edition or get a refund for the 30$ and re-buy at the 80$?

I can't find a way to make a new thread to save my life. I work with forums all the time, and it's no where on this forum x-x. Sorry, but I don't know how else to post this.

I purchased the 30$ DayZ Alpha Access on Steam, but I was meaning to purchase the 80$ Supporter Access for DayZ. Is there any way that I can pay the other 50$ to upgrade to Supporter without having to buy it all over again for 80$? I was going for the Supporter and purchased the wrong thing. Is this possible or am I just going to have to buy it again?!

Can I donate 50$ and still gain access to the Supporter Edition or get a refund for the 30$ and re-buy at the 80$?

It's probably better if you ask in the game website.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

If you haven't activated the key in Steam yet you can naturally donate/gift the game for your friend and ask money of it. Then just buy the supporter edition and activate it in your Steam.

If you already activated the game in your Steam I afraid it's too late.

If you haven't activated the key in Steam yet you can naturally donate/gift the game for your friend and ask money of it. Then just buy the supporter edition and activate it in your Steam.

If you already activated the game in your Steam I afraid it's too late.

There isn't a 'key' on Steam, it just downloads the game.

I also posted on the Game Website, and they said it would be best to ask here =/

There isn't a 'key' on Steam, it just downloads the game.

I also posted on the Game Website, and they said it would be best to ask here =/

Hey,

Since the Supporter edition can be purchased through the BI Store, I would send a message through the store's customer support form .

Also

I can't find a way to make a new thread...

You need a nr. of posts under your name before you can create a thread. That way we know you ain't a sp4mb0t.

Edited by Maio

Hello there

I pointed the person in question over towards these forums, apologies, I'll remember to point them to the actual store next time!

any particular url?

Rgds

LoK