Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Day Z Announced as standalone title.

the 'cleanup&recovery' of DayZmod forums will take longer than BIForums ... so please be patient

Wow, they must have done a real job over there, anyway thanks for some kind of update Dwarden, appreciated.

Hello there

It's probably not a case of "being" hit hard, rather a case of ensuring incidents like this don't happen again which is taking the time.

Plus, as the forums are down regardless perhaps they are implementing other things rather than *just* getting the forums back up.

Housekeeping and the like.

Doing all of these things whilst ensuring the old database is still intact is probably no simple job. There's a vast amount of users and posts over "there"

The forums will be back, give 'em a bit 'o time.

Rgds

LoK

Thanks LoK! It was feeling weird that recovery can take this much time.

Looking forward to this standalone! I'm sure I'll be impressed, Dean and BIS never fail to impress!

Graphics looks quite nice although am not sure it really shows much improvement in some gameplay mechanics ie zombie movements / attack vectors and even zombie numbers which are rather low from all press releases thus far.

By Rocket's own answer zombies really aren't high priority.

That's not accurate; zombies certainly do have a very high priority but it just wasn't possible to revamp them yet. In fact rocket finished the concept for a complete redesign of the zombie AI just a few days ago.

Speaking about the amount of zombies on a server, I don't think that way over 3000 zombies all at the same time constantly spawned is rather low. :wink_o:

it looks like the stock ARMA 3 loading screen, might as well just make it a mod again.

Cut the trolling attempts.

Guess what?

Really, guess.

DayZ alpha no longer has a release window, but closes in on launch

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/22/4648082/dayz-alpha-no-longer-has-a-release-window-but-closes-in-on-launch

That's despite the fact that last year Hall essentially rebooted the game.

"It was a very grim time last year," he said. "I took a bunch of massive risks.

Wonder what happened last year on BIS.

I think they're loosing their window of opportunity(or already lost).It seems everyone and their dog is making a survival sandbox zombie game when they saw the mod popularity.

Competition is good but in the case of DayZ it may be a bit hard to stand out.In my opinion they also seems to concentrate on very silly things like diseased clothes and other pointless stuff.Between finding gear and provisions to survive while looking out for other players or zombies I don't want to deal with sneakers infested with rabies.

They could spend their time improving those zombies because right now "fearsome" isn't the word I use to describe them.

For a mod they worked,for commercial game they're terrible.

I think they're loosing their window of opportunity(or already lost).It seems everyone and their dog is making a survival sandbox zombie game when they saw the mod popularity.

Competition is good but in the case of DayZ it may be a bit hard to stand out.

I don't think that DayZ will lose it's opportunity for a while. There really isn't any competition yet.

They could spend their time improving those zombies because right now "fearsome" isn't the word I use to describe them.

For a mod they worked,for commercial game they're terrible.

Rocket has proposed couple days ago complete overhaul of zombie AI and I agree with this. The Ai isn't the only problem but the animations, collision and how fast the zombies are is making them really bad.

They have definitely missed the boat in terms of the Mass market but i believe there core players of a few hundred thousand wil remain loyal out o the original 800,000 unique ID`s alot of have moved on without doubt.

The biggest worry i see is that they anounced the Network architecture was functionally complete in May this year and began Mass testing , however they now seem to be relaying info that it is struggling and last month they anounce the Bubble and the Archticture is the next mistone , more than evident even in that LAN sesssion that its a bit worse for wear.

Secondly this AI was foremost in the todo almost 12 months ago where it was stated the AI and indeed zombies had no neeed for such a complicated neural network and Skeleton but only now they anounce maye they will start this milestone.

Lastly it seems in recent months the RV iteration that was formerly TOH based engine has more and more A3 Bolt on ,this would be a great deal of resource energy too.

For me the Development status updates are more confusing every time they try to show off the latest Build it seems a milestone from six month ago is now the next milestone.

I wish it success of course but the window and Door is closing slowly on this for sure.

I've written a report of the conversations about DayZ I've had with Ivan and Matt on Gamescom. Since it's probably too long to be posted here as well, there's the dayzforum and reddit link. :)

Hi thats a very good write up thankyou

It is certainly very contrary to the video footage so its nice to see a more personable spin rather than that poorly coreographed probably 10000 time dev walks through bored and fed up with telling it :).

could you please expand on this point here :

I can tell you the network bubble and MP structure is coming along nicely ;)

what we saw is not any hwre near what you are eluding too , coud you explain your confidence , you have been told or seen a different Build to the Video footage ?

Thank you very much!

This whole aspect of development isn't happening on a visual level, so it's not evident from videos you're looking at. The basic principles of the server-side architecture are functioning but there still remain some problems with syncing actions and said bubble of information distribution.

The bit concerning the progress is "underhand information" from Matt after I asked him about the status of the current problems as the MP is the needed milestone for a release.

Demo gameplay lookin good! Really anticipated for this one :)

Absolutely thrilled for this, my PC screen just isn't taking my money!