Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Day Z Announced as standalone title.

Plus it's against the EULA to make profit or charge people for your mod, DayZ bounty = Mod which makes profit = booooo

Funny, it's totally fine that people monetarize youtube videos with BI content (afaik there is even one guy who has quitted his job and is now making a living from his dayz youtube channel) but modders aren't allowed to make money... Simply spoken, people who are able to press the fraps record button are in a better position than others.

Xeno

BI only gives people the right to use their content, not modders, for YT monetisation.

It is up to the content author to dispute videos at YT when monetized without their permission.

It is stated by BI in big letters:

This doesn't cover anything from user-made content, for that You need obtain approval from the respective IP owners.

source

In addition only if you can make 2 digit million views per month you can earn some decent money. Only very very few do.

You can always contact BI to discuss opportunities to make money with modding work (work for BI/BISim/their partners, community made models sold to BI/BISim/3rd parties, Iron Front and more).

Edited by .kju [PvPscene]

Like so many times you don't understand what others say, kju. I'm not interested in making money I'm just pointing out that it's not correct that one party is allowed to make money (even if it is just a few cent) and one party not.

I'm pretty much aware that there are enough parasites (that's what I always call them) who monetarize videos with custom made content but that's not what I'm talking about.

But enough off topic now.

Xeno

What party is not?

What you to fail to understand that BI, like most, operate on meaningful decision making rather than sticking to (assumed) blind principles.

BI does and acts whats in their best interest according to their view. Pretty reasonable stance, dont you think?

That was a great interview... I really hope he will be able to make that game he wants to make!

I've played DayZ for quite some time and I still enjoy playing it. Hackers were never really a problem to me as I only play on <15 players servers :p

I'm really looking forward to the standalone, wich should finally get rid of all the bugs, hackers and script kiddies.

I agree that part of the reason dayz has its own branch on RV is to change the network architecture, not only to close down attack vectors (anyone can run a script in arma and until recently there has been nothing servers/server admins could really do abaout it - hence finding battleships on the beach and being teleoported 3 miles out to sea etc.) The other reasons I would guess would be ease of the port over to standalone (much quicker without a massive rewrite of the mod itself - speed up time to market), and the ability to port to arma 3 in a year or so and charge everyone again.

It is totally possible to have made dayz on a branch of RV4, and change the network architecture, and still have dayz client/server and arma 3 peer to peer - just as you can have dayz on RV3 going client server and and arma 2 remain peer to peer.

Whereas to me it seems more that the idea of anyone modding his mod or playing it differently from his beloved concept (see what I boldfaced as well as the DayZ Bounty creator's own remarks) is just that antithetical to Rocket; the money angle merely lets him get more backing from BI.

The belief I've held ever since Vespa's comment is that "the ARMA concept" and the "pure DayZ concept" (read: according to Rocket) are in fact so divergent as to be mutually exclusive insofar as engine requirements -- as you said, time to market is also a factor (I believe that Rocket has admitted that the need to mitigate losses of player base to imitators like The War Z is a factor?) but I also believe that... well, the bit about closing down attack vectors means more to DayZ players than it does to ARMA players who just do nothing but co-op, especially when PVP is still a dirty word to some ARMA players. :p Rocket's locking down the standalone at first is consistent with the "need" (as far as DayZ) to lock it down from disruption-to-gameplay-by-hacks, but frankly the famous moddability and versatility of mission making in ARMA seems to require more openness to what would be considered hacks in competitive gameplay, since someone's mission idea (even if it's SP or CO-OP) might "require" their use.

Therefore, by having a separate engine iteration for the standalone both sides' "needs" can be fulfilled without "forced compromise" or interfering with the other.

The bit about making a "sequel"/"charge everyone again port" in modified RV4 is an interesting idea, considering how positively ARMA 3 footage (of visuals and infantry small arms combat) was received by DayZ fans.

News from Dean Hall:

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/post/36771692833/dev-report-november-2012

The controls have been completely rethought, using inspiration and design lessons from games such as Minecraft to make the player more engaged with their environment

Animations are being cleaned up to feel more responsive. This means trimming some transitions, so that you get quicker feedback from pressing the key to action (removing he “clunkiness†or “sluggishnessâ€)

Player clothing is being implemented including: headwear, jackets, trousers, footwear, etc..

Weapons and items are now “entitiesâ€. This means they are more object oriented in structure, allowing weapon customization, degradation - the possibilities become endless. This is a major, huge, shift in engine architecture.

The Server controls character actions, a player’s client sends its requests and the server decides if this is possible. Our lead programmer in the company, Ondrej Spanel, is working on this currently. I believe this is one of the most radical changes ever implemented in the engine since Operation Flashpoint was released, and turns DayZ from an FPS into a true MMO.

The UI has been completely reworked, focusing on simplicity. We have studied games that we believe are leaders in this area, such as Minecraft, and are focusing on providing functionality without fancy complexity in this regard.

Asked myself how of these development process will find it's way into the Arma3-development?

Asked myself how of these development process will find it's way into the Arma3-development?

Good question.

Assuming that the Arma3 alpha is being pushed back to March 2013 or later, I would say it is entirely possible that some of these new features could be merged into Arma3 after they have been tested and shown to work well in DayZ.

The funny thing is, based on the description of Steam implementation and the cooperation with Valve, it really really sounds like the standalone would use Steamworks... and I'm actually really okay with that, considering how different DayZ's concept is from that of Arma 3, how it uses a different engine because (quoting Vespa here) it would be "insane" to try to develop both Arma 3 and the standalone on RV4 when RV4 itself is still a work-in-progress, and even the priorities list (or rather "in what order are we going to develop and implement what") differs between the two, i.e. rocket saying on Reddit that "zombie AI" comes after "the foundation (architecture) is done" and after the implementation of "weapons as entities"... to say nothing of the seeming switch to "server side" while Arma 3 may well be (remain?) "client side".

I recall that Jay and/or Ivan already said during the summer that they were following the development of DayZ mod (back before the standalone was announced) for any ideas that could be implemented in Arma 3, I'm guessing that they meant mostly under-the-hood stuff...

I hope we will be able to buy a steam key through Sprocket. I'd rather give my euro's to Sprocket than steam :)

Beside that, this sounds really good.

One question I have asked myself, and I'm sure I'm not the first: since the DayZ standalone is going to be an official BIS game, will there be a DayZ forum section here? Or will it be on its own site?

One question I have asked myself, and I'm sure I'm not the first: since the DayZ standalone is going to be an official BIS game, will there be a DayZ forum section here? Or will it be on its own site?

Brace yourself maddox from influx of 1337's :D

On a more serious note, I assume they (BI) just stick to the already established dayz forum as ''build'' another section here would seem to be pointless, perhaps.

@Raptor - ty for update, sounds quite exciting for both ''parties'' (^^?)

Forum moderators would be pissed off or at least demanding a bit salary after couple days if DayZ have own forum section here. Just watch and see those DayZ forums.

We are free to ignore whatever we want.

I too actually assumed that naturally the dayzmod.com forums were for the *mod*, and came over to the BI forums expecting a standalone specific forum on the official dev boards.

Due to the nature of the DayZ Mod, its clients and the creator's wishes, we, the DayZ forum staff are inclined to be a little more *bohemian in our approach to moderation.

*(free of regard for conventional rules and practices).

Welcome to the Wild West, as we say.

Do we have a proper release date for this and will there be hosting configs for GSP`s and will it only be US hosters or can EU hosters apply if it is select hosters only???

No info at all about nothing.

But you should keep an eye at the DayZ forums as it's not so discussed around here.

Do we have a proper release date for this and will there be hosting configs for GSP`s and will it only be US hosters or can EU hosters apply if it is select hosters only???

Nothing is yet announced.

So I assume that DayZ is going to use the ArmA3 engine, right? It would be quite silly if it stickd to the ArmA2 engine.