Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Day Z Announced as standalone title.

Arma2 already has dogs.

edit; look under "ambient life" in the editor

Bohemia: We'd be stupid not to release DayZ on XBLA

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/day_z/news/bohemia_wed_be_stupid_not_to_release_dayz_on_xbla.html

"Obviously we're a PC developer and have been for some years, but consoles have a huge market and you don't have so many problems with piracy"

Money is starting to make someone sound like they work for Ubisoft and not a independent developer.

The first response on this site to the story sums my opinion also.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/11/dayz-wed-probably-be-stupid-not-to-try-and-release-it-for-xbox-360-says-bohmeia/#comment-405486

Edited by jblackrupert

Bohemia: We'd be stupid not to release DayZ on XBLA

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/day_z/news/bohemia_wed_be_stupid_not_to_release_dayz_on_xbla.html

"Obviously we're a PC developer and have been for some years, but consoles have a huge market and you don't have so many problems with piracy"

Money is starting to make someone sound like they work for Ubisoft and not a independent developer.

The first response on this site to the story sums my opinion also.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/11/dayz-wed-probably-be-stupid-not-to-try-and-release-it-for-xbox-360-says-bohmeia/#comment-405486

So how exactly did Minecraft on the Xbox hurt the PC version? Or OFP: Elite the original OFP for that matter?

So how exactly did Minecraft on the Xbox hurt the PC version? Or OFP: Elite the original OFP for that matter?

Minecraft can run on a potato.

As for Arma 2 and DayZ those are different beasts altogether.

The fear isn't so much that the PC version will be gutted but that the console version will get more attention and thus draw resources away from the PC

trying to keep them happy [$$$]. You know the consolers will be looking at the PC version and going, "Why can't WE have that?".

The "don't have any problems with piracy" claim well thats just a load of crap and we all know it. Modded consoles are cheaper on Craigslist with games

then the stores AND they'll deliver them to your house like a pizza.

Minecraft can run on a potato.

As for Arma 2 and DayZ those are different beasts altogether.

The fear isn't so much that the PC version will be gutted but that the console version will get more attention and thus draw resources away from the PC

trying to keep them happy [$$$]. You know the consolers will be looking at the PC version and going, "Why can't WE have that?".

It's nice that you're looking out for the well-being of console players, but for many of them it's either a console DayZ or no DayZ at all. The PC version is not tied to the console environment's limitations. These "resources" you speak of are a very vague and abstract concept unless you care to speculate what features of the PC version are going to be negatively affected by the console development and how.

with ps3 and x360 you'd be able to reach a lot of people, but you'd have to get the game to run with only ~256MB memory.

next playstation and xbox would probably allow a full featured arma / dayz, but when they launch they wont get near the ammount of x360's and ps3's in use now.

bottom line, either rush it or take your sweet sweet time.

Edited by Leon86

It's nice that you're looking out for the well-being of console players, but for many of them it's either a console DayZ or no DayZ at all. The PC version is not tied to the console environment's limitations. These "resources" you speak of are a very vague and abstract concept unless you care to speculate what features of the PC version are going to be negatively affected by the console development and how.

Developing for next-gen derpboxes is the best justification for it: the coming Xbox 720 might have Windows 8 at its core, so there's no reason why a locked-down RV game can't run on such a platform, without dragging the PC version down. If M$ does its job right, performance should be equivalent to current gen middle spec hardware.

Lets face it, DayZ could very easily run on a console. It's not like you need any kind of view distance in that game, in fact a shorter VD might even suit the game.

Why stilll feeding the troll ?

Nice detail regarding the performance discussion is the fact that they using a branch of Take on Helicopter.

I'm intressed in how they transfer and integrate the (some) ArmA3 features but I can imagine that the usage of TOH branch will be a win, especially when they replace the cars with zombies. :D

And if the standalone will be succesfull and they transfer the game to Xbox 720 (if the new console is released until then), I hope they use that shit: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/367553/ground-breaking-xbox-720-tech-could-turn-rooms-into-3d-environments/. :)

Has this been posted yet?

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/post/31347010829/the-integration-begins

We have setup all the required pipelines to best push the project forward. The standalone engine we are using is a branch of Take on Helicopters, which itself is a branch of ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead. We chose this because of its stability, ease of development, very achievable optimization, and the fact that our programmers are the architects of the engine - the very people who built it from the ground up over ten years.

Art has been very, very busy. Chernarus has been revamped, with bug-fixing and a great deal more buildings have been made enter-able with a very high standard of work involved.

ToH engine and paper-over of Chernarus buildings is a good start. Stary Sobor with fully enter-able houses would've been so much fun 2 years ago, not to mention Chernagorsk laggy industrial area needs a revamp.

Apparently its going to run on a scrapped down TKOH, won't be purchasing it then.

Just because it's not on the latest engine? They've said the reasons why they've picked the Take On Helicopters engine. It is the most stable engine they've had. I also thought they were implementing a proper lighting system.

Just because it's not on the latest engine? They've said the reasons why they've picked the Take On Helicopters engine. It is the most stable engine they've had. I also thought they were implementing a proper lighting system.

I was little disappointed that the stand alone is not going to run under the newest arma engine as I somewhat assumed the lighting, among others will stay more or less untouched. I hope that's not the case though.

I was little disappointed that the stand alone is not going to run under the newest arma engine as I somewhat assumed the lighting, among others will stay more or less untouched. I hope that's not the case though.

The "newest" Arma engine is WIP, not a finished base that we happen to be using for Arma 3.

Apparently its going to run on a scrapped down TKOH, won't be purchasing it then.

"Engine" does not solely refer to "Graphics". It's about a stable netcode and code infrastructure and much more.

To your own interest, when I talked to Dean about DayZ and Arma in Germany, he told me they have planned to use several elements of other projects such as the new renders from the WIP RV4 just like Arma 3 might get a deferred shading update after release.

I also don't get where you have the "scrapped down" from.

But yeah, feel free to base your decisions on stuff like that ;)