Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Day Z Announced as standalone title.

How exactly is a game to the scale of ArmA 2 / DayZ going to run on a console, anyway?

My guess is, not well. Seems like a lot of freedom/graphical detail would have to be cut.

The most ironic post of the year award , you sir have won the Internet , read up on how and where Armas original streaming tech came from.

Consoles is the best place for dayz ,right down to the take your pic and add your face to the character so no need for silly definitions of who's a murderer .

Edited by Thromp

The only title released for consoles was OFP: Elite, so what are you talking about? A3 is a PC exclusive and they're improving the streaming of data, again.

Also, you can add your face to CWC, A1,2 and so on...

Consoles is the best place for dayz

You are either mad or are just saying that because you hate DayZ and hope it goes to consoles so you don't see or hear about it anymore here.

Every game that has made the jump gets dumbed down, graphically raped and dies an early death because when the next shiny toy appears to distract the consolers

and of course PC suffers for it.

Edited by jblackrupert

Talking about dayz and consoles , thought it was clear enough ?

Mead the history pages about elite and the console streaming etc that allowed bis to release arma and subsequent titles , consoles aren't evil and this myth about open worlds only in pc needs to be updated .

Bohemia Interactive had been trying to put together the extremely overambitious Game 2; a total military life simulator with three extremely large and fully destructible environments (Chernarus, Takistan and Basta), very detailed vegetation and complex physical simulation powered by ODE. This was simply too much to handle. The decision was made to take as much of the new engine improvements as possible from OFP: Elite for Xbox (most notably the streaming of data into memory and pixel shaders) and create a game partly based on revamped Cold War Crisis assets. The result is now known as Arma (initially titled OFP Rearmed). Unlike “Game 2â€, this would have to be created relatively quickly, within a budget and most importantly on time. A follow up to VBS1 (so far only a moderate success), powered by a heavily modified Arma 1 engine was also in the making by the growing Bohemia Interactive Australia team, composed of some of the very finest and talented members of the OFP community
Edited by Thromp

Talking about dayz and consoles , thought it was clear enough ?

Mead the history pages about elite and the console streaming etc that allowed bis to release arma and subsequent titles , consoles aren't evil and this myth about open worlds only in pc needs to be updated .

You do realize consoles are just ancient PC hardware with propriatary connectors and a tiny case?

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

You do realize consoles are just ancient PC hardware with propriatary connectors and a tiny case?

I cannot continue you have brought any possibility of a meaningful debate to an end right there.

I cannot continue you have brought any possibility of a meaningful debate to an end right there.

There's nothing to debate, thats what consoles are.

Old hardware in a proprietary package sold at a loss to get them off the shelves.

There's nothing to debate, thats what consoles are.

Old hardware in a proprietary package sold at a loss to get them off the shelves.

And McDonalds food is just filet mignon ingredients with less quality control... and Walmart is just a variety store on a different scale... and let's see what else we can say that is boorish and vapid while remaining pointlessly antagonistic...

And McDonalds food is just filet mignon ingredients with less quality control... and Walmart is just a variety store on a different scale... and let's see what else we can say that is boorish and vapid while remaining pointlessly antagonistic...

But he's right. Consoles (the box, the hardware) don't make profit! Sony and M$ make money when a game is sold because they have a certain % in every copy.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118856-Sony-Losing-Money-on-PSP-PS3

Anyway, this went way too off-topic.

But he's right. Consoles (the box, the hardware) don't make profit! Sony and M$ make money when a game is sold because they have a certain % in every copy.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118856-Sony-Losing-Money-on-PSP-PS3

Anyway, this went way too off-topic.

Because the hardware is cheap and standardized and works out of the box with zero user input on completely closed and streamlined content and MP systems.

The hardware doesn't even begin to matter. It's the structure of play and the layout of the market that makes console gaming both popular and profitable.

Anyhoo, I fully expect the console crowd will be doing what they always do when formally PC exclusive game goes multi-platform.... Dumb it down..... we need a killcam.. plz remove prone, snipers keep killing me, why is there no regeneratng health?....etc

Battlefield 3 is a direct result of that.

And?

Rocket has proven that his vision for Day Z is uncompromising and totally heedless of what noisy forum people want (all of the people wanting to dumb the game down so far have been members of the PC-gaming master race). He is the farthest thing from EA imaginable, so your snobbery is needless here.

Dude you must be confusing something here. All I said is that in present state (without cutting out detail) no console will handle DayZ - is all. No "expertise" is needed when some orange trees alone bring down FPS on much more powerful videocards. Besides isn't JC2 1000 player multiplayer thingy PC only?

Here is the truth: ArmA has high resource requirements because it renders large worlds for a military simulator that requires high levels of fidelity and persistence. Consoles are quite capable of matching ArmA in scale with rather small sacrifices of detail.

Visual detail actually takes quite a big sacrifice. Any of current consoles (since we are talking JC2 comparison) won't handle Chernarus without anything going on on it due to amount of polygonal + texture detail alone.

The atmospherics will certainly suffer as minimum from muddy textures, more 2D-ish trees and almost no grass.

And since I'm apparently a "crusader" - with limited gamepad come limited controls and horrible interface :rolleyes:

Edited by metalcraze

I see the same people that moan about DayZ being developed for PC are now moaning that it's possibly being developed for console :) with the reasoning being that some other console games are poor.

Lighten up folks - and I'm sure about one thing at least: the devs know a lot more than the pseudo-devs on these forums about the possibilities of console porting.

The atmospherics will certainly suffer as minimum from muddy textures, more 2D-ish trees and almost no grass.

So you're saying that the eye candy will have to be turned down for a console port? No argument there, but that's not what the content of your post was suggesting. Graphics are not an important component of Day Z, as evinced by the near-constant 1200m view distance on the servers. Rocket doesn't want a game that only a tiny percentage of the PC-gaming can play. ArmA's eye candy is there because the requirements of the simulation need good hardware anyway. Day Z's gamemode could almost be successful on the Wii.

And Rocket is the sort of developer who will leave the PC eye candy in place, regardless of the port.

And lastly, in order to run on mid range PCs, ArmA's infamous orange trees have to be turned into blurry pieces of shit by the game's almost-nonexistent LoD handling. My game looks far worse than Far Cry 2 or Just Cause 2 or any number of open world console games.

Read this

It wasn't quite clear from the article, but does that imply that Chernarus for ArmA 2 will be updated to "Chernarus Plus" as well? If so, that would be awesome.

It wasn't quite clear from the article, but does that imply that Chernarus for ArmA 2 will be updated to "Chernarus Plus" as well? If so, that would be awesome.

In our wishes. Would be really nice since Cherno still is a awesome map but that is another title, another (version of the) engine, another purpose. I don't think is going to happen, maybe if you buy DayZ and combine it with ARMA.

I hope that it'll use the RV4 engine. So we can play Cherno Plus on ArmA 3 aswell!

Arma 3 developers announce key community features, reveal faults in previous development schedules and generally present a transparent, 'on track' image to the community

Over time features fade, commentary ceases, timelines slide and the process gets rejigged by another title being developed at the same time

Feels a bit Arma 1. DayZ should be fun though, especially with all that server upkeep, a reliance on bohemia complex mission design and without the hassle of all that mod support!

I'm reading over on armaholic about Dayz lead wanting to bring it too console and Mac. Mac is fine because its a PC, but console, thats when things will go down hill. Not being able to lean around corners, etc. I wouldn't mind if it happens I just don't want the PC version to get ruined/forgotten.

Not being able to lean around corners, etc.

Why wouldn't you be able to lean around corners?

Wasn't Flashpoint Elite the first of our games with lean? (not sure, foggy memory).

Why wouldn't you be able to lean around corners?

All part of The Console Fear. I knew a guy once, he dated a console for like only 2 or 3 days, and he got dumbed down. True story.

All part of The Console Fear. I knew a guy once, he dated a console for like only 2 or 3 days, and he got dumbed down. True story.

So the dumbed down console ports flooding the market the last several years is a myth eh?

Go on steam and Origin and buy the following games and see if you're right.

F..E.A.R 1, 2 and 3

Thief 1, 2 and 3

Battlefield 2 and 3

Crysis 1 and 2

Pretty much any sports game like Baseball, go in the controls and see how well it goes when you try to configure your keyboard to play.... oh and don't forget to press ENTER to begin.

Edited by jblackrupert