Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Day Z Announced as standalone title.

Question is though: will it be running on the newest iteration of the engine with PhysX? Because, as it stands now the animations for multiplayer and physics interactions are non-existent and are an immersion killer, whether it is DayZ or ArmA II OA. Hope ragdoll will be implemented with realistic behavior in mind and it becomes a new pillar of simulation in ArmA - this feature alone is worth the name of ArmA III; after launch you can outsource the whole dev team to DayZ development if need be, but we must have physics first! :)
The issue I understand is that the famous openness of ARMA (which some have been blaming the recent infamous hacking on) is in its capacity to be modded and scripted, whereas part of the reason Rocket wanted a standalone was so that he could lock it down without engine vulnerabilities from reusing an existing engine... so I would be concerned if this meant that Real Virtuality 4 became LESS mod/script friendly, since I'm not sure that BI would want to foot the bill for a separate engine just for DayZ.

Congrats...dayz is not my cup of tea, I hope it does very well.

don't complain about feedback, good or bad. This is what helps make a good game by highlighting what it's important.

Good luck.

Great news. Better to strike while the iron is hot and all that.

Have had some great moments playing DayZ but my life style doesn't allow me the time to sit down and play it as it should be played. So my concerns/hopes will still be for A3

I hope BI manage to make some money from this.

Its all about A3 and hopefully the increase in revenue in order to re-implement some of the removed features from A3.

Bi, I know you're not the creator, but perhaps you should pull your puppets strings(metaphorically speaking) into releasing DayZ on to the consoles. That way all of the dirty peasant consolers can fund the glorious pc gamers addiction to the Arma series.

Quick question about it though.

What will DayZ paidforversion offer that it doesnt already offer?

Sure they can. With the power of all the new kids buying arma, only to play DayZ and the "+1million players" biz can now afford a delay until dec 2013! Happy day-z!

My heart can not. :) ArmA III by Summer 2013 or bust.

Heh, no worries to get there folks, even if BIS ressources would all go to DayZ, community mods devs will turn it back to the ol'good simulator for those maniacs which I belong to.

As long as we keep getting that top-notch engine. ;]

Congrats BIS, more cash = new projects = better upgrades = better DLCs... Feel kinda confident about the company's future.

Regards,

TB

Congratulations to both BI and Dean! I can't wait to play it.

Wow - grats... every modders dream come true and BIS is the backbone! Happy day for all.

Hmm, a mod that seems STALKER like to me was Namalsk Crisis. The island looks STALKER-ish and the campaign too, but anyways, congrats to Rocket and BIS and I'll be looking forward to ARMA 3 :D

Congrats...dayz is not my cup of tea, I hope it does very well.

don't complain about feedback, good or bad. This is what helps make a good game by highlighting what it's important.

Good luck.

Dean has a very open attitude to both sides. He even has funny names for them.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/52196-pending-update-build-173/

* Scroll down to the yellow text.

What does a ArmA mission designer have to do with a player driven, persistant MP world?

The news isn't even a day old, yet you're leaping to some spectacular conclusions.

You mean what does Dean Hall who was a MP designer on ArmA3 have to do with a player driven, persistent MP world now?

BIS doesn't have many engine programmers either. So instead of focusing on ArmA3 features exclusively their time will now be spread between ArmA3 and DayZ stuff which have absolutely different goals.

No time to make 3D editor when you must add wood-chopping mechanics, a very important feature for a milsim you'll agree.

Edited by metalcraze

People somehow seem to forget that games are also business. Or at least one of the aspects of its nature. Say, the next iteration will have every single feature you can think of, will support this & that, etc. If that happens, what sort of innovation a dev can hope to bring further in the series? Without enough "firepower" that comes from new features the overall interest and, naturally, sales will go down. That's a malicious cycle until a franchise (not mentioning any in particular) dies. So, coming up with a rational distribution plan regarding new gameplay / engine features is a must.

Anyway, this is great news. A Chernobyl-like desolated environment would be a perfect choice for DayZ environment. Grats to Dean and BIS! Time to rock the casual gaming industry! :D

Good news,

its the only way to go really, after all, stuck in a perpetual Alpha has its limits.

I wonder who's making the Island, it will be difficult to do better than good old Chernarus even if it was not made with DayZ in mind.

Good luck.

I will tell my kids one day, that i tested DayZ in alpha.

:yeahthat:

One problem in all this.

ArmA3 + DayZ + Work + Family in 24/7

We need more hours per dayz, more dayz in a week, more dayz in a year... :D

Anyway congrats to BIS&Dean. I bet you can smell the money already.

Arma Community: NeverHappyTM.

Thanks for the insult...

What will DayZ paidforversion offer that it doesnt already offer?

If I were to make a wild speculation, I might say ArmA3 engine, PhysX, ragdoll, improved CQB elements, new island and improved UI. None of which of course will interest the ArmA3 community at all ;)

If I were to make a wild speculation, I might say ArmA3 engine, PhysX, ragdoll, improved CQB elements, new island and improved UI. None of which of course will interest the ArmA3 community at all ;)

And a official DayZ beer stein on the Bohemia store.

Just curious...what happens to the arma2 mod version?

You mean what does Dean Hall who was a MP designer on ArmA3 have to do with a player driven, persistent MP world now?

BIS doesn't have many engine programmers either. So instead of focusing on ArmA3 features exclusively their time will now be spread between ArmA3 and DayZ stuff which have absolutely different goals.

No time to make 3D editor when you must add wood-chopping mechanics, a very important feature for a milsim you'll agree.

What does his removal do to A3? You're trying to play devil's advocate here, so come up with something other than misplaced rhetoric. It's one man, who made missions, MP missions, not a loss I'll cry over. Considering they're going to use the same engines (from what one can guage from Damu in the other thread) and the work crosses over, then what exactly is being lost here? Without Dean/DayZ one could say the evolution of the persistant world, eventual improvements in net code and a host of other things wouldn't have come to light in A3.

And yes, the possibility hand to hand combat in a mil sim - horrendous of them to waste time on that. The 3D editor was dropped before this announcement, it's just the tin foil hat brigade (yourself included) that's decided to impart all blame on DayZ. If I dug deeply enough, I'm sure I could find your last scape goat as to why the 3D editor was dropped, or something else you didn't agree with.

I can't stand DayZ as much as the next man, but the technologies developed to support it are of a clear interest to anyone interested in A3 (something that took me a little while to understand).