Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Day Z Announced as standalone title.

Holy sh1t! I cant believe.

Congratulations Dean and Bohemia. Looking forward to it, but, as said, we want ArmA III D:.

Thanks guys.

Congratulations guys, hope it'll be a great success for BIS.

On a side note, i'm amazed by how people are never happy : DayZ is a mod of ArmA2:Co ? OMG BIS is loosing its soul by mixing its military game with zombies. DayZ is a stand alone game ? OMG it'll take resources from ArmA3. NeverHappyTM.

DayZ got to this point because of ArmA2's great mod support. Hopefully dayZ will also have mod support.

Congrats Dean, thanks to this successful alternative!

And finnaly BIS, seems the wine got good with time! :blush:

DayZ got to this point because of ArmA2's great mod support. Hopefully dayZ will also have mod support.

Doubt it. The core of DayZ is global persistence of character (and world?) data.

I fully expect to have similar experience to Blizzard games:

- Client will be downloadable for anyone

- You'll need an account with a valid game key attached to it to be able to access it

- Always online of course, as it will probably be an MP only thing

- There might be potential issues with the servers being clogged up, especially on release (Just like there is now where you wait to be authed with the Hive once you're connected to the game server)

This will better suit the format DayZ currently wants to be and potentially prevent piracy to a degree.

I'm not shutting down the posibbility for mods outright because they might opt for an approach of official and unofficial servers, where official servers are vanilla and have global persistence where unofficial ones have it local for that server only, and with that the possibility of mods. Something like what BF2 did back in the day.

Apart from that, I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Congratulations all round, looking forward to hearing more about it and seeing the improvements. And, looking forward to being the ArmA3 beneficiary of all the improvements & bugfixes that this project will develop :)

(See what I did there?)

Make profit as fast as you can before others will start/continue to fight for Z-Ca$h!!! Stay creative and don't get too deep into routine.... :)

Edited by NoRailgunner
oo

About time you got that standalone, Dean. DayZ is indeed worthy of one.

I don't particularity enjoy what some players have molded the gameplay to, myself, but I'll make sure to purchase a copy regardless. It's a good mod and it is to be, without a doubt, a great standalone. This will be a success.

Congratulations. :)

PS: Ivan Buchko, damn nice concept art. I don't suppose he has more of it, perhaps a DeviantArt account?

Edited by colossus

On a side note, i'm amazed by how people are never happy : DayZ is a mod of ArmA2:Co ? OMG BIS is loosing its soul by mixing its military game with zombies. DayZ is a stand alone game ? OMG it'll take resources from ArmA3. NeverHappyTM.

Probably because ArmA3 won't come out until 2013. I like ArmA2 but I have read in several threads "will put off development of mod until ArmA3 comes out." ACE, for example.

http://wiki.ace-mod.net/ACE_future_plans_and_ARMA_3

That's going to mean a long wait and I hope they reconsider. I say forget about ArmA3 for now and have fun with ArmA2!

Edited by RecondoLRRP

Arma Community: NeverHappyTM.

You are right, it sometimes (often :p feels that way. World is not perfect, we are not perfect. But in this case we are certainly trying to do the best for everyone involved, our company, Arma user base, DayZ user base. We really could not simply wait and see but we had to make important decisions and move ahead the best we can. In any case, this is great news, one of the biggest (if not the bigest) announcement Bohemia Interactive ever released and it is early to come up with conclusions what impact on Arma 3 or Bohemia Interactive in general it is going to have.

If BI didn't do it, someone else would - it's a great commercial opportunity. I'll wait a few more months for Arma 3 if that's the impact - I still haven't completed all the user made campaigns and missions in Arma 2 yet anyway ;-)

Read what I posted again. Removing features has nothing to do with amount of surplus developers once another game starts nearing its completion date, and their role in A3 culminates. Once content, objects and items are completed by the artists, and 'all' that is left to do is config, code and bug fix, they need something to move onto. You're all acting as if DayZ the standalone game will be released for Christmas 2012 and therefore taking resources away from A3.

Was Limnos even finished?

IIRC BIS pretty much said the campaign is still in early development as well.

Am I talking about right now at this very moment?

What does a ArmA mission designer have to do with a player driven, persistant MP world?

The news isn't even a day old, yet you're leaping to some spectacular conclusions.

Edited by Messiah

I'm happy dammit! :rage:

It's better then DayZ team going to another engine - crossover features are sure to happen (individual windows with real smashing glass and crawl thru capability is Zombie world must!).

Oh, and DayZ team, now that your standalone -can you make us a military sim mod?

:pray:

Just recently started dayz (about a week ago) and its actually really good I must say! I'm pleased I have something to look forward to and will definitely get both. Well done team.

They've already cut flagship features from ArmA3 due to "lack of resources" and here we have BIS resources going to a new game. A3 isn't coming out this year, having been pushed back multiple times, so there's definitely no "surplus developers" sitting around looking for something to do.

Objectively - congrats on your new product. Based on what you've done with ArmA already it's bound to be amazing. Subjectively - finish my game first. A3 could have been amazing...

+1.

I would be fine with this, if they didn't start coincidentially cutting features out of ArmA 3. Stuff like the 3D editor is very, very important to the modding community.

Heck, to be honest, I care more about the 3D editor THAN THE CAMPAIGN ITSELF. If we have an amazing editor to work with, we can make our own campaigns. Please don't cut it out, BI. Please.

You are right, it sometimes (often :p feels that way. World is not perfect, we are not perfect. But in this case we are certainly trying to do the best for everyone involved, our company, Arma user base, DayZ user base. We really could not simply wait and see but we had to make important decisions and move ahead the best we can. In any case, this is great news, one of the biggest (if not the bigest) announcement Bohemia Interactive ever released and it is early to come up with conclusions what impact on Arma 3 or Bohemia Interactive in general it is going to have.

never happy is not true. i'm fine with current announcement since i always was for dayz standalone rather then mod/addon to arma 3.

it's reasonable that you guys will hurry up for cash opportunity like this atm, since hype may go down and there may/will be more concurents.

my only concern is that dayz should not affect arma 3 and arma series. i.e. core mechanics of arma should not be talored towards dayz.

i'm okay with arma 3 delay since you had to make dayz first, but if you delay it, please make sure that you will add features like 3d editor, mod support/download, weapon bipoding, fast ropes, trimmers, and other things that makes arma better.

we ( arma player base ) can wait for it, since arma is the only game in milsim-ish genre, but please add these and other features if you delay arma, not cut things out just for the sake of other project. we can wait.

anyway, yes, finally standalone. glad to see it. congratz.

Congratulations to all involved

a true reflection of how BIS devotion to its community can reward and inspire all involved

The Dogs may bark but the Caravan moves on

I'm not sure if BI can afford a third delay, seeing as it's already been pushed back twice (from Q2 this year to Q4, then to 2013), for ARMA 3.

Congratulations... I guess. ;)

Well, unless ArmA III features suffer as a result, this can turn into a huge semi-MMO type game with their "Hive" server system.

Question is though: will it be running on the newest iteration of the engine with PhysX? Because, as it stands now the animations for multiplayer and physics interactions are non-existent and are an immersion killer, whether it is DayZ or ArmA II OA. Hope ragdoll will be implemented with realistic behavior in mind and it becomes a new pillar of simulation in ArmA - this feature alone is worth the name of ArmA III; after launch you can outsource the whole dev team to DayZ development if need be, but we must have physics first! :)

P.S. Still haven't played DayZ.

I'm not sure if BI can afford a third delay, seeing as it's already been pushed back twice (from Q2 this year to Q4, then to 2013), for ARMA 3.

Sure they can. With the power of all the new kids buying arma, only to play DayZ and the "+1million players" biz can now afford a delay until dec 2013! Happy day-z!

I will tell my kids one day, that i tested DayZ in alpha.