Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Day Z Announced as standalone title.

Please note nothing is changing in terms of forum usage etc, all technical/in depth type discussions should be on the DayZ forums, however similar to the VBS thread in here let's see if we can have a single news type thread to discuss the announcement and project in an overall way.

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

That’s right, this is actually happening - DayZ will be developed as a standalone game, with me as project lead, by Bohemia Interactive. This is the fairy-tale outcome for a mod that many would have said impossible four months ago.

Development and updates of the mod will continue in parallel with the development of the game, so anyone who is playing the mod now will be able to continue to do so. The project will follow the Minecraft development model; fast iterations with the community alpha available for a heavily discounted price.

I realize people will have many, many questions - but we wanted to let everyone know the announcement now. Over the coming weeks, these questions will be answered. The game will have it’s own site, www.dayzgame.com and the mod will continue at it’s present link.

First.

Congratz Dean, looking forward to this even if Zombies are not my thing. :)

Falling SkieZ The Game, make it happen Dean, make it happen!

Congrats Dean, very well deserved!

I am happy i bought dayzaholic domain after the announcement of DayZ, lets see where this standalone version is heading.......maybe I can support your game like I do the Arma series as well as a few others (sssttttt, still a secret!).

Congrats Dean and Team, and Bohemia Interactive for taking it to the next level ;-)

Great news, always loved zombie mods and this means it will be even better. :D

I hope that it will be developed for the Real Virtuality 4 Engine and that it gets all the same graphical and gameplay features ARMA 3 will have to offer.

Well deserved. Can't wait for it!

Best wishes for this amazing upcoming project from the mydayz.de Team ;)

Great to See Dean get this and great for BIS to take it to the next level of been a standalone :D

Kudos and looking forward to see what's new and to play that.

What does it mean for Arma3 project? I assume people from other teams incl. A3 will be moved to DayZ

Doubt it will mean much at all, seeing as A3 is coming towards the end of its development period, BIS will gradually be surplus developers that can be moved onto new projects (i.e. dayzgame) - One assumes dayz is going to share much the same architecture as A3 at any rate, so a chunk of the work is already being worked on via A3.

Anyway, congratulations to Dean and BIS in general, and on a personal note I'm glad to see it migrated away from being a Mod for ArmA, allowing both games and communities to grow independantly on their own merit. (as well as the innevitable cross overs).

Great news - especially to see it developed by BI too - although they would have been crazy to let Dean take it anywhere else!!!

Awesome!!!!! :yay:

Open World Zombie Game + Bohemia Interactive = WIN

Does this mean that there will be no Data fixes in ArmA3, as all the artists are busy creating czech republic island nr. 4?

Does this mean that there will be no Data fixes in ArmA3, as all the artists are busy creating czech republic island nr. 4?

For there to be Nr. 4 there needs to be nr. 2 hurrrr

Doubt it will mean much at all, seeing as A3 is coming towards the end of its development period, BIS will gradually be surplus developers that can be moved onto new projects (i.e. dayzgame) - One assumes dayz is going to share much the same architecture as A3 at any rate, so a chunk of the work is already being worked on via A3.

They've already cut flagship features from ArmA3 due to "lack of resources" and here we have BIS resources going to a new game. A3 isn't coming out this year, having been pushed back multiple times, so there's definitely no "surplus developers" sitting around looking for something to do.

Objectively - congrats on your new product. Based on what you've done with ArmA already it's bound to be amazing. Subjectively - finish my game first. A3 could have been amazing...

They've already cut flagship features from ArmA3 due to "lack of resources" and here we have BIS resources going to a new game. A3 isn't coming out this year, having been pushed back multiple times, so there's definitely no "surplus developers" sitting around looking for something to do.

Objectively - congrats on your new product. Based on what you've done with ArmA already it's bound to be amazing. Subjectively - finish my game first. A3 could have been amazing...

I hate to say it, but I wholeheartedly agree.

+1

I really hope A3 wont suffer from "lack of development ressources" (keyword: Linuxserver for A2 1.62), it was already pita enough until A2 was stable and with good performance.

jm0.02€

Read what I posted again. Removing features has nothing to do with amount of surplus developers once another game starts nearing its completion date, and their role in A3 culminates. Once content, objects and items are completed by the artists, and 'all' that is left to do is config, code and bug fix, they need something to move onto. You're all acting as if DayZ the standalone game will be released for Christmas 2012 and therefore taking resources away from A3.

Subjectively - finish my game first. A3 could have been amazing...

Your game? :j:

Congratulations Dean and Bohemia. This is a massive step forward for both of you.

Also congratulations on the big 1 Million mark. If I recall correctly that is about how many copies Operation Flashpoint: CWC sold?

When you first released it, we knew it would be popular, but never this popular. Nice work.

Just don't lose focus on A3 please.

-Craig