Sign in to follow this  
bloodtank

Steam discussion

lol you think the term thumb blisters will become an everyday term in 12 months ?

I like what its doing just not the way its doing it

Seems better and faster than a normal gamepad but K+M win everyday.
What matters here is not which wins, but "how close is close enough" for whatever Valve has in mind for "the target market".

Especially in the CS showcase you can see that he isn´t as fast and precise as he would be with a mouse...

Especially in the CS showcase you can see that he isn´t as fast and precise as he would be with a mouse...

Comparing it to the KB+M is futile I think, as that's not the goal of it, nor is it supposed to improve on that. Compare it to the Xbox controller or DualShock.

The thing I don't like about it is that there's a lot of "drag, lift thumb, drag" when large movements are involved, which doesn't seem to beat even the analog stick which you can simply hold in a direction. It might be mitigated by being able to adjust the sensitivity of the trackpad on the fly.

Comparing it to the KB+M is futile I think, as that's not the goal of it, nor is it supposed to improve on that. Compare it to the Xbox controller or DualShock.

The thing I don't like about it is that there's a lot of "drag, lift thumb, drag" when large movements are involved, which doesn't seem to beat even the analog stick which you can simply hold in a direction. It might be mitigated by being able to adjust the sensitivity of the trackpad on the fly.

Fair Point, the Steam controler seems to be much more precise and "on the spot" than console controlers.

And that is what Valve's goal seems to be with the Steam controller -- the Xbox 360/One and DualShock 3/4 are its peer competitors, not mouse/keyboard, and the design challenge was precision-without-"snap to"-auto-aim in one's lap... mission accomplished if they have that 1:1 precision in more games than just what's seen, although as mentioned with Portal 2, in games without "true" Steam controller support it's emulating a mouse/keyboard as far as what the game detects.

lol you think the term thumb blisters will become an everyday term in 12 months ?

No more common than they used to be...

I remember returning home from all day Goldeneye sessions at friends houses with blisters on my thumbs...

I really can't see this as a replacement for thumbstick controllers, track pads suck for pretty much anything.

The whole Steambox thing seems pointless other the Valve trying to get their fingers into the same market as Alienware, Onlive and that massive failure WebTV which was made by the guy behind Onlive.

Edited by jblackrupert

I really can't see this as a replacement for thumbstick controllers, track pads suck for pretty much anything.

The whole Steambox thing seems pointless other the Valve trying to get their fingers into the same market as Alienware, Onlive and that massive failure WebTV which was made by the guy behind Onlive.

The thing with the track pad though is that it can be used as a thumbstick controller, when configured that way. Can't be done the other way around though.

Just going to throw my voice out here as another one that would love to have a non-steam version of Arma III. I have lost several games to steam-DRM and would love to see and buy Arma III but I cannot bring myself to give money to a company that not only sells broken games but also supports and creates a DRM scheme which has lost me access to a number of games.

DRM-Free please!! I would love to buy this game.

If not, please consider it for any future ArmA game! I shall be playing ArmA 2 until then!

I have lost several games to steam-DRM

How?

I´m using steam for a few years now and i cannot think of any possibilities to lose games on steam other than:

-you´re a magician :cool:

-you cheated the heck out of the games you played and got vac banned (several times) :rolleyes:

-you did´nt know that password isnt a secure password :o

I've been on steam for 10 years have 26 games nothing to brag about and haven't lost or had any issues with games on steam since then.

including Arma3 among others nothing wrong with steam, as Mr. Burns had said Resoula you had to have done something that compromised the security of those games.

Welcome to the forums btw :)

I'm certainly not a steam fan but it won't hold me back from playing a game i'm interested enough in.

Currently i only have ArmA3 and Iron Front: Liberation 1944 on steam.

Is it possible to have game library located on two different discs? I'm running out of space and I'd like to download all new stuff to different disc. How do I add new download folder to Steam?

Is it possible to have game library located on two different discs? I'm running out of space and I'd like to download all new stuff to different disc. How do I add new download folder to Steam?

No problem mate, my Steam games are actually on two disks, i asked the same question a few times ago, look at the posts in this page : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147336-How-to-prepare-steam-to-install-Arma3-on-your-ssd/page2&highlight=steam

You can also move games from a disk to another, i did it thanks to some tutorials on YT.

How?

I´m using steam for a few years now and i cannot think of any possibilities to lose games on steam other than:

-you´re a magician :cool:

-you cheated the heck out of the games you played and got vac banned (several times) :rolleyes:

-you did´nt know that password isnt a secure password :o

-I wish I was.

-No VAC bans on my account. My ID is /Resoula if you'd like to check.

-I haven't had a password compromised for about 10 or 11 years.

I've been on steam for 10 years have 26 games nothing to brag about and haven't lost or had any issues with games on steam since then.

including Arma3 among others nothing wrong with steam, as Mr. Burns had said Resoula you had to have done something that compromised the security of those games.

Welcome to the forums btw :)

You are quite lucky. I personally have had trouble with steam since I made my first account (about ten years ago actually). For one it always slowed down every computer I put it on, which led me to originally think it was a virus and uninstall it until three years ago when I realized it wasn't a virus and re-installed it again. Still slows down my computer when I run it. It even shut my computer down once when I told it to simply close out (through the taskbar). The browser "steamcommunity" momentarily freezes my browser every time I try to access it on every computer I try to access it on.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Resoula As you can see I do have a number of games on steam (Not much compared to what I have on other websites, but in my opinion it's still a lot.). None of which I actually paid steam a dime for, rather I got them through giveaways and trades of bundle keys. TBH I'm waiting for GoG Galaxy to come out so there can finally be a DRM-Free gaming platform for people like me who have had a number of bad experiences with it (As there are a few games in my steam library I simply cannot play because of DRM restrictions and DRM companies gone out of business. And the fact that the platform has a 30-day money back guarantee is also splendid). I'm hoping that if it gets big enough Arma III may consider publishing there so I can buy it there. Or maybe Arma 4? I can wait if needed, plenty of games to hold me until then.

Issues I've had with DRM aside, I personally just enjoy owning my games, rather than letting valve own them, y'know? I used to love to buy CDs for that reason. Just to have that physical sense of "This is mine. I paid for this. I own this." Sorry it took me over a month to reply though, I didn't realize my post would get responses...or reported (I can't fathom why it was. I was guided to come here to make that post).

Edited by Resoula

Arma 4 on GoG is a maybe (just like Arma 4 itself ;) ) but don't ever expect Arma 3, there considering that Arma 3 leans on Steam for more than just DRM.

Arma 4 on GoG is a maybe (just like Arma 4 itself ;) ) but don't ever expect Arma 3, there considering that Arma 3 leans on Steam for more than just DRM.

Considering how easy it's for BI to patch and maintain a dev branch together with a main branch, not mentioning the WS, ArmA4 if ever will be on Steam.

If there is an A4 it will be on Steam I dare say, not that its a problem, pretty straight forward for updating. Although I still prefer the old disc method, probably my age though.:o

What's your thoughts on this? I think modding gets kinda pointless if you have to pay for it, at that point it's the same as DLC.

-edit-

Seems like this topic is already being discussed on the forum here, mods feel free to delete or merge.

Edited by Opteryx