Sign in to follow this  
bloodtank

Steam discussion

Steam workshop if its ever used (lets face it anyone who;s anyone making anything worth while knows its shit and wont use it) ... all steam work shop will be is a "pop charts" of mods compaired to armaholic and six etc "real mods" source.

I envisage farting guns, mass bunny hopping mods, and all manner of zombie dross through it mainly :)

As regards stopping things being added to it and leeched, well, that's for BI to sort out if they open pandoras box with signing to Valve.

No, no decision on workshop has been made yet (unless I missed some announcement).

We still don't know whether or not A3 will be workshop enabled.

I've corrected my former statement. It was referring to Steam exclusiveness. Sorry my bad.

Its interesting to see how many people are assuming there was some deal made between Valve/BI for A3's exclusivity.

It seems quite logical to me but maybe I'm wrong though . . . who knows. In any case both have their advantages. Both will increase profit, that's what the ball game is about.

IF it is workshop enabled, there is nothing stopping sites like armaholic continuing to host addons too. What you will see is some addon makers stopping public releases because they are unwilling to take the risk that some punkass kid re-uploads their work to the steam workshop, which then introduces the problems with valve's workshop EULA and IP rights transferal.

That's why CWR has stopped developing besides Wolles personal gripes with Steam which I understand perfectly.

Maybe the community really gets split for the first time for good. I personally believe only a few won't migrate over to ArmA 3 so that won't be a problem. When it comes to our modders well it's still to be seen what will happen. Also in this case I believe that most of the modders will develope for ArmA 3 and then there's also to be considered that new modders will replace the old ones in case they stop developing.

So nothing to worry about.

So nothing to worry about.

[sidenote]As long as EULA stays open, company doesn't change hands and keeps up its end of the bargain for everyone & every other caveat involved in signing up (over) to Valve.[/sidenote] :)

Its a shame that this would even be the result, those who split off would I guess be the ones who are not "wanting" to not have Arma3 or BI games, they just have no real interest in Valve shoving its face in your virtual one. I would say to them, consider the options I posted previous rather than nothing at all. then again if your against BI's decisions & valve then those options arent going to work for you I guess.

I think most hardcore few (IE the big guns) modders will still be around for 3, but I just wonder the flood of customers from "I found this on steam shop" who are the "profit increase" end up watering it down more to a standard shooter in terms of wants and god forbid mod creation.

These are all the factors for me that will wait until post release and still watch all forums closely before deciding anything.

Edited by mrcash2009

ArmA 3 hasn't even been released yet.

These are all the factors for me that will wait until post release and still watch all forums closely before deciding anything. :)

To correct you, the post should have been: "ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!! LOLZZZ ITZ ONLY ALFA!!!!! LOLZZZZZZZZ" .. Much more fitting going by the Arma3 sections tongue.png

Interesting enough BI tools EULA more or less states the same thing, anything created in O2 is legally their property, yet nobody has an issue with that. Lack of trust in the steam workshop user base seems to be the biggest issue and to be honest, after seeing the garry's mod and TF2 communities internal clashing, I don't blame them.

Edited by NodUnit

Interesting enough BI tools EULA more or less states the same thing, anything created in O2 is legally their property, yet nobody has an issue with that.

No, it doesn't.

Its been stated over and over again, by Placebo, Marek and others: work you create using the BI tools is your IP, BI have no rights over it. Additionally, you do not have the right to exploit it commercially, but nor do BI. Unlike the steam workshop EULA.

not needed, from what I gathered the wording of STEAMworkshop EULA is common lawyer English to actually being able distribute the mods ...

there will be some further look into but preliminary outcome is that it's not as bad as some think ...

Will discussions in future also be done under steams control?

I mean as far as I know they offer a forum for each game inside steam .... will this forum here die in the long run? A natural death?

BI would lose control over customer base even more? And valve gainng it? Opinion control is wuite important ..

I mean as far as I know they offer a forum for each game inside steam .... will this forum here die in the long run? A natural death?

BI would lose control over customer base even more? And valve gainng it? Opinion control is wuite important ..

I think the Steam casual players will frequent the Steam ArmA 3 forums, while the long-time players & new serious players will come here.

I'm not sure where you're getting that opinion from. That's not going to happen.

I think the Steam casual players will frequent the Steam ArmA 3 forums, while the long-time players & new serious players will come here.

Or it gets flooded with a mixture of both and we all splinter off into pockets of sub groups until its safe to come out again :) Or the long term community go into a PM/group only strike and everything goes sub level, with a tumbleweed gif in every open forum posts. Better still a revolt happens where all long standing members share a server and we can only communicate via ACRE within the armaverse (via non steam arma2 of course other wise the Irony would be huge).

Edited by mrcash2009

I'm not sure where you're getting that opinion from. That's not going to happen.

actually I would myself prefer to move STEAM discussions to BIForum ... the system is way worse than our forums (read our is way better)

actually I would myself prefer to move STEAM discussions to BIForum ... the system is way worse than our forums (read our is way better)

Get them to add the ability to have the forum link to an external one and implement Steam OAuth on our forums. :p

Get them to add the ability to have the forum link to an external one and implement Steam OAuth on our forums. :p

API blocker here I come.

API blocker here I come.

it's like facebook connect, allows register and login with STEAM account ...

maybe you not noticed STEAM supports openID for year(s)

i wanted to start working on a simple server browser soft for personal use, but now I am wondering if gamespy will still be used on the final release for server browsing. Any news regarding that topic dwarden?

Somewhere out there is a supposed quote by Gabe that if Valve would shut down they'd "patch out" the Steam-DRM requirement for any Steam users. Of course, who knows how much they'd actually keep to that alleged promise if it ever actually came to it, but if it was actually said then it's a sign that Gabe was perfectly aware of this issue and had an answer ready at that point.

I'd be more worried that Steam changes hands in the event Gabe decides to cash out and spend the rest of his days fishing on an island somewhere.

Hackers can take care of the Steam client issue if it ever shuts down. They already have anyways.

Like I've said before, EA was once upon a time an awesome company when it's creator Trip Hawkins ran the show.

Edited by jblackrupert

Pretty much the above; there's literally nothing inherent to a company preventing it from "selling out", not even BI... it's all about circumstances, decisions based on information about those circumstances, and a willingness to piss off people in the process (see the Steamworks announcement outright stating that they had already known that they were going to upset long-time Arma players but Arma 3 was going to be Steamworks anyway).

Still, it's something out there and in gamers' minds that at least serves as a theoretical deterrent against going back on the promise (because in the mind of Steam supporters it's a promise that was actually made, whether or not that's true)... and such a promise is more than AAA publishers or Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo have been willing to make. Forget the fact that they could probably get away with breaking actual promises made, they just try to avoid being specific enough to have been making promises in the first place! ;)

you somehow ignore the fact, that developers or publishers can simply patch out the STEAM if something 'nasty' happens ...

So if it's so easy to patch it out why did you have to push Steam down our throats in a first place is beyond my understanding apart from the advantages as a developing platform. For me as a user . . . Steam has no advantages to offer whatsoever. WTF.

Simple - most companies do like to maximize their profits. DayZ showed BIS how "easy" one can make money with braindead creatures + pvp/DM gameplay. Blame the audience / casual crowd who don't demand anything but shooting and counting headshots. BIS just made a money/profit deal... Of course the marketing/PR guys will tell you something different! ;)