Sign in to follow this  
bloodtank

Steam discussion

Hello there,

I would like to ask whether someone can tell me somethings about steam Product installation and downloaded files in general.

The situation is as follows, we have a still crappy Broadband connection of 1,5Mbit...which is a pain in the ass when it comes

to huge downloads. Me and my wife are waiting impatiently for ArmA3, so I asked a few friends about the download and they

said that there should be somehow a possibility to buy the Alpha 2 times (obviously)

but install it it only one one PC (which would be mine). The other pc (of my wife), is also registering the Product key in steam and initiates the installation in order

to prepare the install directory. After this all content just needs top be moved over from my PC to the PC of my wife...

can someone explain please whether this is really a possibility and what exactly I need to do?

Thanks and regards

Memphis

After you both have games bound to your account you can download it on one computer then make a Steam Backup via Steam > Backup and Restore games, then transfer it to another computer and restore it there.

I've merged this into the Steam thread since it's a Steam related question and others might benefit from the knowledge or offer you better advice. :)

Edited by Sniperwolf572

After you both have games bound to your account you can download it on one computer then make a Steam Backup via Steam > Backup and Restore games, then transfer it to another computer and restore it there.

I've merged this into the Steam thread since it's a Steam related question and others might benefit from the knowledge or offer you better advice. :)

Thanks, I tried that on my steam account and will see how that works as soon as I´ve downloaded all that stuff

It seems like BIS silently listened to all the whining and Steam DRM isn't badly implemented.

For one game still uses Gamespy. Maybe they move to Steam servers later, maybe they won't - this doesn't matter as much because - LAN seems to work fine even in offline mode and I think Direct IP too. So basically MP is quite democratic and I hope they won't change this.

Good and all but I had to wait for someone else to buy the game and clarify this to me instead of BIS Q&A on how multiplayer is with steamworks here.

Is internet cafe not an option?

No such thing here =). Pretty much everybody have their own PC at home.

LAN seems to work fine even in offline mode and I think Direct IP too

Well thats an exellent news.

Got a question. Downloading the game will take approx 5-7 dayz for me. If during that time some patch or whatever will be implemented, will my download stop and I'll have download all of it from scratch or it will automatically update current download somehow? Or I will be downloading current state of game and after it finished it will then update?

It seems like BIS silently listened to all the whining and Steam DRM isn't badly implemented.

For one game still uses Gamespy. Maybe they move to Steam servers later, maybe they won't - this doesn't matter as much because - LAN seems to work fine even in offline mode and I think Direct IP too. So basically MP is quite democratic and I hope they won't change this.

Good and all but I had to wait for someone else to buy the game and clarify this to me instead of BIS Q&A on how multiplayer is with steamworks here.

Well it was always looking as if BI were "stepping around" total Steam dominance in every way with the Q&A but lets hope they iron out the recent BI store issues (pretty obvious they must have) for direct payment promotion on release, because for me there is no way im funding Valve if I can help it if & when I ever get A3.

BTW your game spy details were always in font of you in this very thread posted by Dmarwick here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?138343-Steam-discussion&p=2309499&viewfull=1#post2309499

also, you need server browser if You want play MP and IF we for example decide to remove GameSpy ... or wanna tell me how You obtain the servers to play ? by fedex?

Always read to me that for now it still had it :) then again it also reads its open ended on if it stays. I truly hope they let the customer have the options we had already and "oh by the way as your in steam you can do this also" ... I just hope the deal they struck with valve doesn't "go dark" later :)

Yes that's how I understand his post, obviously.

But yes we know: Steam is good for you, Steam is the ultimate solution, Steam saves Developer time, Steam makes everyone happy, Steam let even retards use Mods, Steam has Serverbrowser, Steam has DRM, Steam has Offline mode, Steam helps modding, Steam is best, Steam has no problems

All hail Steam, the ultimate solution for all problems we had in all the years!

Until Steam fucks up and then all sitting around with their ultimate solution and look into an empty screen.

But since Steam is so awesome, it will never go down. Never, simply cannot happen right?

One day you will wake up, and then you will hate Steam more then I do now. Go wait and see.

And when that happens I tell you I will laugh my ass off for a week.

Be happy, I'm done here now. As others said it is pointless to discuss with blind consument sheep who believe everything they are told.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148474-ARMA-3-Steam&p=2321848&viewfull=1#post2321848

Level of ignorance in your posts is beyond imagination, go troll somewhere else.

Oh and relevant:

;)

Edited by k3lt

Cool thread you have here, guise.

Kinda ironic that Steam saved everyone's asses, when BIStore couldn't process the orders.

Steam's Top 10:

1) ArmA III Alpha

2) Tomb Raider

3) Max Payne

6) ArmA II: Complete Collection

7) Bioshock: Infinite

10) ArmA II: Combined Operations

Kinda ironic that Steam saved everyone's asses, when BIStore couldn't process the orders.

Steam's Top 10:

1) ArmA III Alpha

2) Tomb Raider

3) Max Payne

QFT

Steam is fine, it is a far better option than Origin for example.

QFT

Steam is fine, it is a far better option than Origin for example.

I find Origin much better.

Unlike Steam , I have it running 24/7 with no issues.

No bloat

No resource sucking

Launches/Login is EXTREMELY fast. [steam takes as long as 2 minutes]

Offline Mode actually works.

I can buy Digital AND Boxed copies of games

Everything is quick an dirty, no digging through pages of crap to find out info, buy game

Steam can take an hour or more digging though hundreds of

posts just to find the answer to a simple question.

Need to move game?... Simple... CUT/PASTE/Re-Check files... done.

It needs some work and some things like allowing you to choose install locations without have to modify settings first, but Steam took 9 FREAKING YEARS to add that simple option.

Creating backups of games would be nice, but theres nothing preventing you from burning folders on DVD/Blu-ray.

I'd prefer not having to use a client at all, but i'll take Origin over Steam any day of the week.

Steam is quite heavy on resources. When somebody does as little as sending you a message that's pretty much a 5% CPU spike. What if he sends 2 messages quickly? That's close to 10 already. And I need all CPU I can get.

Steam overlay itself steals about 1-2 fps at times.

I find Origin much better.

Unlike Steam , I have it running 24/7 with no issues.

No bloat

No resource sucking

Launches/Login is EXTREMELY fast. [steam takes as long as 2 minutes]

Offline Mode actually works.

Everything is quick an dirty, no digging through pages of crap to find out info, buy game

Steam can take an hour or more digging though hundreds of

posts just to find the answer to a simple question.

Need to move game?... Simple... CUT/PASTE/Re-Check files... done.

It needs some work and some things like allowing you to choose install locations without have to modify settings first, but Steam took 9 FREAKING YEARS to add that simple option.

Creating backups of games would be nice, but theres nothing preventing you from burning folders on DVD/Blu-ray.

I'd prefer not having to use a client at all, but i'll take Origin over Steam any day of the week.

Not sure if trolling or serious?

[Edit: Disclaimer: I use both Origin and Steam, and have had no problems with either]

If it really is UI you're worried about, then Origin might be a little "cleaner", but then that is because it has like 1/1000000th of the content on it...

If, like other people, you're worried about:

* not being able to resell your used games,

* not actually "owning" the game you play,

* there being someone behind the scenes who can pull the plug on ALL your shit in one fell swoop,

* there being evil bloatware on your PC.

Then, well, Origin is the Devil. You know, with being owned by EA and all. In a "lesser of two evils" way, Valve are friggin angels compared to EA....

You know that Origin took a massive bashing on release for actually being spyware, right? I'm pretty sure it still has the capability (and is still written into the Origin EULA) to scan your entire system and report every bit of hardware AND every bit of software, without your permission (well, thats not true, because you granted it permission to do that when you agreed to the EULA on install).

Well thats up to the developer to find a publisher willing to make boxed copies. The majority of Origin games are published by EA, which still does a pretty significant physical trade. Many steam games would never have seen the light of day if their only option was to be published physically...

Steam is quite heavy on resources. When somebody does as little as sending you a message that's pretty much a 5% CPU spike. What if he sends 2 messages quickly? That's close to 10 already. And I need all CPU I can get.

Clutching at straws much?

I agree that Origin is the shit at the end of the very shitty stick of this distribution area.

Steam's Top 10:

1) ArmA III Alpha

2) Tomb Raider

3) Max Payne

[conspiracy mode]BI let that happen to get that result via Valve agreement[/conspiracy mode] :cool:

Yep everyone can praise steam for saving asses and companies, and everyone will flock to it, under one global EULA ... and then, your in for life regardless of any corporate shift or changes once your choices for alternatives have dried up becuase everyone flocked away. Then when anyone experiences similar at any point with steam, I hope your going to voice it.

"Steam, the saviour choice of the moment, until, there isn't any choice".

Edited by mrcash2009

I agree that Origin is the shit at the end of the very shitty stick of this distribution area.

Other then it being owned by EA and only sells EA games how is it worse then Steam for as a Digital downloadclient/DRM like Steam?

Other then it being owned by EA and only sells EA games how is it worse then Steam for as a Digital downloadclient/DRM like Steam?

Bingo. You can get worse than valve, you really can if you simply want to compare in terms of control. I dont like the digital distribution elements and control aspect and EA are the masters of it, just check out Simcity. Worse of multiple evils, out of the frying pan into the fire, list of cliche's are endless :)

Power to shut off EA games existed before Origin.

And how do we know Valve isn't going to be another EA if Gabe Newell retires or sells it like Trip Hawkins did EA?

Not enough Steam cheerleaders remember that EA used to be like Valve, loved and Trip Hawkins was everyone's hero.

Clutching at straws much?

ArmA3 with steam and steamchat windows open in the background in the same place = 26 fps. Closing them both = 29 fps.

But it's rather on and off stuff. Sometimes closing them down affects nothing.

Just launched infantry showcase, ran forward a bit, hit pause - fraps is at 23-24 fps... Closed down steam windows - 25-26 :/

Edited by metalcraze

I only now saw that for purchasing Arma3 I need to get a Steam membership, delivering your real identity, handing over credit card data, accepting all their smallprint and their DRM and the more holding me like a child on a leash ...

I played and bought BIS games intensely since 2001. And, yes, I had problems with reinstalling Arma2 several times because of possibly old DVDs and the quite stupid re-recombination of patches and versions and games - but I would have never wanted to give up FREEDOM for that.

FREEDOM was a keyword and a BIS philosophy and they've given up on that now.

I am sad as can be. US companies collecting and commercializing everything, even the most intimate details (emails - Google, facebook) and I am quite sure that Steam will check on you when you played what, when you chatted about what and how and will store it forever "to embetter the service and to give you the most fulfilling experience and advertising". Soon they will ask you not to cover your webcam because they really can embetter their services if they can observe your reactions to certain advertisings and your emotions before displaying them.

This is a nuke on what I thought BIS stood for: FREEDOM. See my very old signature.

But lack of privacy is only ONE aspect .... lemme go an vomit for some time.

Maybe I come back, maybe never. BRAVE NEW WORLD.

We really need a Vendetta ... ?

Its not only bashing the FREEDOM of the users.

BIS itself is no more a company now that can decide on its own course .... if Valve says "Uhmmm..?" they gotta answer. Sad, sad ...

Edited by Herbal Influence

BIS itself is no more a company now that can decide on its own course .... if Valve says "Uhmmm..?" they gotta answer. Sad, sad ...

I really wonder where this idea has come from...

Valve is not producing for the Arma series, BI are simply using the store to distribute their software.

Its really no different to <insert name of your favourite food brand here> selling their stuff in <insert name of big chain supermarket here>.

The food brand still decides on what they want to be IN their food not the supermarket, the supermarket just provides them with infrastructure to deliver that food to the customer.

Edited by DM

The food brand still decides on what they want to be IN their food not the supermarket, the supermarket just provides them with infrastructure to deliver that food to the customer.

And the supermarket takes a cut, dictates size and shape of certain foods, and also affects farmers who produce such foods who end up relying on them becuase the populace decided convenience was the best thing than sharing the distribution & buying local, check out horse meat scandals for some true fun.

So yeh, true Valve dont dictate to software house its content, but it will with patch release, delivery of the content, server standards of said delivery, once the gold master has left the building so to speak its all in the hands of Valve and "its" process, this is also true with server side if for example BI take out Gamespy (yet to be seen). I will say it multiple times, you put this trust into fewer hands you better expect them to keep their promise and not make any future changes to EULA once your in for the long haul that will affect you.

I notice a trend lately of lots of smaller companies and games that are going through the "Steam green-light programme" ... yep, Valve are doing the marketing very well. The notion is, "more of a purchase market and larger user audience" which is great, but, again ... global EULA for all concerned, which is NOT in their hands.

Things to check are backgrounds to creators/CEO's and share holders, keep your eye on that to see where it may go later, after all its all trust at the end of the day for that service.

I need to get a Steam membership, delivering your real identity, handing over credit card data, accepting all their smallprint and their DRM and the more holding me like a child on a leash ...
You don't have to use any kind of real name and can use anonymous pay methods :P

Millions dont, but then if you suggest this your hiding something :p

Edited by mrcash2009

I only now saw that for purchasing Arma3 I need to get a Steam membership, delivering your real identity, handing over credit card data, accepting all their smallprint and their DRM and the more holding me like a child on a leash ...

Must be quite an adventure for you to live in the 21st Century.

Welcome.

Welcome.

Typical Fanboy reply... i find this quite insulting.

Just because YOU dont mind giving away personal information and use STEAM and other Platforms doesnt make Herbal_Influence someone from the past or one who rejects technology.

You dont have to give away any personal information.

If you mean giving away personal information when purchasing stuff for credit card verification then well.. which store does not require those? :eek:

Seriously, it looks like people are just trying to find any negativity and turn it against Steam - quite sad indeed.

Also i dont see why he shouldn't be a "fanboy" if they are indeed amazing service i had no issues with for almost 7 years? (i dont even remember a 1 small service outage)

Can you say the same about Origin? I dont think so, it just goes down everytime there is a major game release, like Battlefield 3.

So you may not like it, but you cant say they are not reliable.

Edited by k3lt

Welcome.

Unneeded smart comment.