*zeewolf*

Modern War(fare) Crisis

Hardly one would bother playing OFP online these days. (...) OFP online is dead these days.

(...)

online kids who do crazy things and ruin every match, no matter COD, CS or Battlefield.

I tend to disagree. There are like 22 servers online now, and most of them get a fair share of players during the week. And these servers gather a group of seasoned, experienced players who do know how to play. The phenomenon of online kids (gamebreakers/trolls/whatever) is nonexistant. That kind of people are unwilling to (for example) properly set up their modfolders and OFPMonitor tool (essential to play after Gamespy demise). You would see them on public, no-addons servers (a few really), but even then hardly anyone shows up there.

So my question is - is it possible to make at least one player vs AI map based on this mod? Can you still ... make it? 

Zeewolf's inactivity should be an answer for You. There are two important factors which have probably doomed (unfortunately) MWC future development.

1. Regarding SP game mode - as Zeewolf said, it is impossible to port his original game modes to SP, as they are now. These modes use a variety of original mechanics/content written with multiplayer in mind. Without a heavy rework of the scripts, it's impossible to teach AI to use these features. That's why Zeewolf contemplated on making additional SP/co-op game modes which would use only part of MWC original features. But...

2. ...apparently MWC never got a momentum. No server ever showed up, and MWC never went through a massive multiplayer test which would show it's strength and weaknesses. And it's a damn shame, because it is a really original mod into which a lot of work was put. I can only feel for Zeewolf who must have had put his blood, sweat and tears into this mod, only to see it fall into oblivion of hey, it's a nice mod but we prefer CTI.

So yeah, that's it - a great mod without a fanbase. If someday, somehow, Zeewolf will show up again, it's up to us to show him that we really appreciate his work. Maybe this will motivate him to work more on MWC. But for now it's all in limbo about MWC.

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind words. But the reasons for the lack of development aren't what you may think. The mod was developed mainly as something to play with my colleagues during our lunch break where the average game time is around 20 minutes. I released the content here just in case anyone else was interested in it and to provide access to the scripts used so they could be applied to other missions. I stopped developing it simply because it had reached a feature level we were happy with, then we stopped playing the game entirely. That said it may see a new lease of life as after a long break people have started to miss it.

Things I would like to change:

1. More models for the weapons (I'm not knowledgeable in this department so would be relying on 3rd party content or others to assist).

2. More low poly vehicles, preferably filling some niche role.

3. Optimise all of the scripting for v1.99 (using getposASL would be beneficial to a lot of scripts) and convert some calculations to .sqf.

4. Develop some new game modes and/or killstreaks.

5. Somehow provide the voice packs that we use. You may not have realised but the scripting is actually setup to use voice acting from the COD MW series to announce game modes, kill streaks and the like. But due to copyright reasons the audio files themselves aren't included in the released mod. I could perhaps provide some kind of utility that generates a .pbo from the audio in a user's local copies of the COD4, MW2 and MW3 .iwd files.

Regarding AI, I did create a demo of MP compatible AI state machines for my "Battlefield 1985" series missions (nothing to do with this mod and doesn't require it), you may want to try it out, here's a link to the .pbo, as you can see the AI can play a reasonably complex game mode and make full use of vehicles without any assistance from the player, the same thing could potentially be applied to MWC but a lot of work would be needed to provide support for MWC specific features. It's possible for example for AI to control an AC130 killstreak (this is demonstrated in some scenes of the mod's intro mission). It's all possible, it's just there is no motivation for me to pursue this direction, given that my colleagues and I prefer to play without AI and the lack of interest in the MWC general concept in the game's community.

So for now AI is unlikely to be appearing, but some form of development may restart soon given the revived interest of my friends/colleagues.

• Like 2

Great to hear that Your absence was caused by Author's satisfaction with end product! :)

In such case I'll stop moaning about MWC server I (we?) would love to see. ;) I wish I could help You with weapon models, but unfortunately I'm short on time and skills to make any promises... Oh well, maybe someday.

1. More models for the weapons (I'm not knowledgeable in this department so would be relying on 3rd party content or others to assist).

2. More low poly vehicles, preferably filling some niche role.

I suppose that'll depend on what they are. :)

I suppose that'll depend on what they are. :)

Lol, Hi Macser. Good to know there is still a talented modeller in the CWA forums.

As you may recall the number of weapon combinations that you can achieve in this mod is pretty huge since it follows an attachment system. It's unrealistic to expect this ever to include attachment combinations for every weapon. A lot of the weapons are limited however by the requirement to have a model with a second muzzle for the UGL or masterkey attachment options. So the original selection was very much based on what was available in its main source mod (WW4). The result of me trying to use this limited range of models to achieve a wide range of weapons which have realistic trade-offs has resulted in some really annoying compromises:

ACR 6.8

Currently using WW4's LR300 model. The other issue is the ACR looks really similar to a SCAR-L, ideally I'd have something more visually distinctive but I really need a weapon that's available in 6.8mm SPC to fill a spot in MWC's AR power/recoil trade-off (5.45, 5.56, 6.8, 7.62). So I'm open to ideas for a visually distinctive replacement (Barrett REC7 maybe?). 6.5mm Grendel is an option as well if anyone can think of a cool looking AR chambered for it.

AK107

Currently using WW4's AK74M model. This fills a really important niche of really low recoil full auto but low stopping power (aka "fancy Russian balanced recoil thingy"). The AEK-971 may be a better one to replace this given that it is more distinctive looking.

PKP Pecheneg

Currently using WW4's PKM. You could argue that if you were running around COD style with a GPMG, you'd prefer a PKM given it's 0.7kg lighter. But I needed a "cool modern" 7.62mm belt fed GPMG, the PKP is in MW3 so seems the logical choice.

RPK-74 with 75 round drum

Currently using WW4's RPK74 with 45 round mag. The purpose of this one is to provide an LMG/LSW which is more controllable than the M249 while compromising somewhat on the magazine size and stopping power (i.e 5.45mm). I know the original weapon uses 45 round mags, but I'm pretty sure there are 3rd party drum mags about for it. Again if someone can think of a cooler alternative that fills the same niche then please suggest it.

SCAR-H

Currently using WW4's SCAR-L model. The point of this option is to provide a modern select fire 7.62mm rifle, so people have the option of attempting to control 7.62mm on full auto.

SVDK

Currently using the WW4 SVD model. Fills a nice niche in the MWC sniper rifle stopping power/mag size/fire rate continuum.

M39 EMR

Currently using Mk14 EBR model. MWC's jack of all trades 7.62 designated marksman rifle.

FAMAS

Would be nice to replace this with something a bit more modern (no RIS rails blegh!), L85A2 maybe? It fills the 5.56mm SA trigger group niche (as opposed to the M16A4's SB group).

The assault rifle models need to be available in a minimum of the following varieties:

No attachments

Under barrel grenade launcher

Suppressed

It would be nice to have models fitted with masterkeys rather than relying on the UGL models. It's hard to say where to start with provision for the 6 scope options so they can be ignored.

It would be nice to have a "suppressed" version of the PKP, although in-game this would be the flash-suppressed version, i.e. it would only be acting as a really good flash hider not a silencer.

The RPK would need a "suppressed" version again because in-game you can buy a flash-hider.

Regarding vehicles the only extra vehicles I really, really like to use with MWC is BAS little birds since MWC air combat is all about using "gunnerless" vehicles where the pilot controls the weapons and any gun turret directly and no gunner's seat is provided. Ridiculous I know, but brilliant fun.

The main concern I have with adding vehicles is that a lot are ridiculously detailed, such that when spawned in MP they lag every client. The vanilla BIS and WW4 vehicles don't do this. The BAS littlebirds seem ok despite being very detailed but they seem to be an exception.

If anyone can think of some vehicles that would fill a niche then please suggest them.

In Create-A-Class mission, when opening "Shop" dialog, sometimes I get an error about "Music Track25 not found".

FAMAS

Would be nice to replace this with something a bit more modern (no RIS rails blegh!), L85A2 maybe? It fills the 5.56mm SA trigger group niche (as opposed to the M16A4's SB group).

Easiest would be adding rails to existing model. This could look like real-deal FA MAS Infanterie, or like Croatian VHS rifle with G36C-style rail. And there's always an option to go the Felin way.

Or You could use WW4 Steyr AUG A3 which is quite nice and IMHO underrated. But I'm biased for AUG ever since I've watched Die Hard :P

RPK-74 with 75 round drum

(...) I know the original weapon uses 45 round mags, but I'm pretty sure there are 3rd party drum mags about for it.

You might be wrong then! ;) Surprisingly there's no drum magazine for RPK-74*. There was a prototype (back in the '70s) of 90rd pan magazine (think DP/DPM), but it wasn't working well. Heck, there was even a belt-fed RPK prototype, called IP-2. It could even use a normal box/banana mag, just like M249. But it was canned. There is also a new Russian Tokar LMG, but I couldn't find clear photo of it.

* OK, there is a company in the US which converts RPK 7.62x39 drums to 5.45x39, but I couldn't find any info about it's reliability, not even during sustained automatic fire.

In Create-A-Class mission, when opening "Shop" dialog, sometimes I get an error about "Music Track25 not found".

Easiest would be adding rails to existing model. This could look like real-deal FA MAS Infanterie, or like Croatian VHS rifle with G36C-style rail. And there's always an option to go the Felin way.

Or You could use WW4 Steyr AUG A3 which is quite nice and IMHO underrated. But I'm biased for AUG ever since I've watched Die Hard :P

You might be wrong then! ;) Surprisingly there's no drum magazine for RPK-74*. There was a prototype (back in the '70s) of 90rd pan magazine (think DP/DPM), but it wasn't working well. Heck, there was even a belt-fed RPK prototype, called IP-2. It could even use a normal box/banana mag, just like M249. But it was canned. There is also a new Russian Tokar LMG, but I couldn't find clear photo of it.

* OK, there is a company in the US which converts RPK 7.62x39 drums to 5.45x39, but I couldn't find any info about it's reliability, not even during sustained automatic fire.

The track25 bug is to do with the MWC_sounds.pbo issue. I.e. Your Create-a-class mission is probably setup to use tracks that aren't included in the distributed MWC_sounds or defined in the main config.cpp. Track25 in my unreleased version is the menu music from Modern Warfare 2! Here's a link to a new Create-a-class.pbo that won't attempt to play track25, just tracks 21 and 22 (which should be a cut down version of "Into Dust" and the "Against the Tide" instrumental which are used in the mod's desert island intro mission).

Regarding the FAMAS, it's not a big deal, I'm pretty biased against bullpups due to being left handed, but I feel they need some representation in the mod. Also the FAMAS and AUG are a bit too 1980s for my liking, aside from essentials like the AKM and M16, I've tried to style MWC to be a bit "cult of the new" in terms of its armory to make it feel a bit more like the Call of Duty or Battlefield series (hence the dubious desire for "rails on everything").

Regarding the RPK-74, the point is that it is technically possible and fills a valuable niche in the mod's armory. Specifically the need for an LMG/SAW which has lower recoil and stopping power than the M249 but doesn't completely nerf the magazine capacity. An alternative that would probably fit this role better would be the QBB-95 (which would provide more variety in terms of country of origin).

Glad to see you back :)

Just chimming in to let you know that if you are interested in anything from WW4 Extended you just need to let me know (vehicles, textures, etc). Regardless if you use anything "as is" or you want to tweak it it's always faster and easier than starting something from scratch.

• Like 1

The link is down. Can someone help out?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1