Sign in to follow this  
suma

Linux 1.62.95577 alpha

PreedSwe,

Thanks for your thorough documentation on how you updated your CentOS 6.3.

I just updated from 6.2 to 6.3 and still running gcc 4.4.6.

Your method sounds reasonable. I am running 2, 4 core processors or 8 logical cores. What would the appropriate command be for "./make" in my case?

Have you noticed any difference in CPU and bandwidth utilization/load behavior since you updated?

./make -j n where n = logical processors+1

You may compile even faster if you go even higher, like double up if you have a hyperthreading CPU, and I believe if you leave out the n and just run "./make -j" it will run as many threads as possible..

It works :yay:

On Ubuntu Server 10.04 with CWR2. Had to upgrade gcc of course.

Any word on an ETA for another alpha, or beta release?

I believe everybody is seeing some level of crashing, and while watchdog does a good job, I'm still seeing hangs after 4 to 5 crashes, where the server process has to be manually killed off and restarted.

We're 2 weeks after the Windows patch and still don't have a stable beta for Linux.

I would also like to see more information regarding progress on the linux binary.

We at the 15thMEU have re-provisioned one of our servers with Ubuntu 12.04. Although the binary, while it runs, is brilliant - it's nowhere near production quality.

I'm seeing massively improved multithreading and a goodly reduction of network bandwidth as well as improved server FPS running complex missions - but the binary still cacks way too often.

Bohemia - please. Let us know what's going on.

- 1stSgt Reite

15thMEU Realism Unit

GCE BLT 2/4 [REIN]

Echo Company HQ

It's been 2 weeks now, where the windows were put online patch 1.62.

We have a linux server and wait for a stable linux patch since then.

The master our member have Arma II / OA purchased through Steam, and are on the 1.62 version. all the other member are also on 1.62. and can not on our Linux server verbinden.da there is still no stable linux patch.

So when will the patch finally out?

With best regards

BwGbl Marko from arma clan from Germany

I guess the best help we (the community) can offer BIS (read Suma?), is to actually provide feedback from running servers, not nagging about everything that don't work on different systems. It could also be helpful stop asking the same question several times a day. Not mad at anyone, sorry if anyone think so, but it seems like half of the posts in this thread is just about this.

Personally, I appreciate developers using their time on developing products, in stead of, in this case, defending/explaining everything about a Alpha release (even if the gcc 4.6 issue should have been mentioned in readme.txt).

I guess the best help we (the community) can offer BIS (read Suma?), is to actually provide feedback from running servers, not nagging about everything that don't work on different systems. It could also be helpful stop asking the same question several times a day. Not mad at anyone, sorry if anyone think so, but it seems like half of the posts in this thread is just about this.

Personally, I appreciate developers using their time on developing products, in stead of, in this case, defending/explaining everything about a Alpha release (even if the gcc 4.6 issue should have been mentioned in readme.txt).

I think everybody who has posted today provided crash logs and offered to provide any other needed information to help with the crashes. It's been a week since an 'unstable alpha' was released... Virtually everybody running it is seeing crashes on a regular basis... If they need more feedback from us, I'm sure myself and many others would be willing to provide anything they asked for.

I appreciate the developers releasing something, but Windows sure seems to be getting a lot of love... they've had 4 or 5 beta patches since 1.62 was released and we don't even have a stable server yet.

welll i explained already several times that one of the staff working on linux server has week of holidays so it was either unstable alpha or nothing ...

Good to know. So we should expect a new version in a week or so?

What information can we provide to help development and testing?

Edited by pchaxor

welll i explained already several times that one of the staff working on linux server has week of holidays so it was either unstable alpha or nothing ...

doh. You do realize you never mentioned that in this thread?!

Ok, so I know why we haven't had a new linux build recently. I will continue to wait (quasi-patiently) for said developer to arrive back from vacation.

Where do I send the $5000 worth of lattes to keep him working? ;)

- 1stSgt Reite

15thMEU Realism Unit

GCE BLT 2/4 [REIN]

Echo Company HQ

Where do I send the $5000 worth of lattes to keep him working? ;)

my paypal ;)

Questions about Battleye and/or Battleye bans should be address to either $able or Battleye directly.

I would also like to see more information regarding progress on the linux binary.

We at the 15thMEU have re-provisioned one of our servers with Ubuntu 12.04. Although the binary, while it runs, is brilliant - it's nowhere near production quality.

I'm seeing massively improved multithreading and a goodly reduction of network bandwidth as well as improved server FPS running complex missions - but the binary still cacks way too often.

Bohemia - please. Let us know what's going on.

- 1stSgt Reite

15thMEU Realism Unit

GCE BLT 2/4 [REIN]

Echo Company HQ

this.

and fuck paypal

this.

and fuck paypal

More information on progress was already given above.

And the paypal thing was obviously a joke so please don't embarrass yourself.

That guy is somehow Dwarden :p

Good to know this,but i hope that next version will be more "advanced" than the current one,WINDS is just not satisfying on some high players number servers,scientifically it has no meaning but experience proved it to be true ! (look what happened to WASP without linux :D )

I appreciate the developers releasing something, but Windows sure seems to be getting a lot of love... they've had 4 or 5 beta patches since 1.62 was released and we don't even have a stable server yet.

Since we are doing >this<

This. :)

---------- Post added at 08:10 ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 ----------

/rant

I also noticed Dwarden said "one of the staff"; does this mean there are others? Myself and many others are pretty irritated that considering there was a pending release that effects community/customer linux servers that one would be allowed or approved a holiday. So perhaps when it comes time to purchase ama3 we should all stop and take a holiday and postpone funding or supporting BIS financially until we get an agreement that Linux development takes more priority than what it does now. This is simply rediculous and BIS needs to change this in their business rules. Thanks for the alpha, but honestly had you not provided it I am sure the community would have lost quite a few more linux admins than it did. /rant

So when/if BIS needs feedback from the linux server admins. We are ready to give you feedback.

If you need core dumps, logs or backtraces you let us know. We are here patiently (not really) waiting for it. :)

We still love you BIS, we are just not feeling loved.

Edited by pchaxor

wow, just wow... Clearly somebody has never heard of the 'Mac Truck Theory' if development has to stop because 1 person goes on holiday. I sure hope for everybody's sake this single developer doesn't have any dangerous hobbies :)

As others have said, this is the first I've heard we're waiting because somebody went on vacation. Which honestly worries me more than most of the other reasons why we're still waiting on a stable release.

***Original post deleted by Moderator***

Wow, firstly your anger is misdirected. If the Linux server release doesn't concern you, then you're just commenting to troll.

Secondly, as has been pointed out before, the Linux server isn't 'free'. Its a part of the game we paid for. Its an advertised feature. Many people have invested money in renting Linux servers for varying contractually specified periods, basing this on the belief that they'll have a working Linux server. Communities of players are either forced to not play because their Steam updated them beyond the stable server version or they're playing on an Alpha server that crashes at frequent intervals.

To boot, BIS seems to refuse to want to make an OFFICIAL statement clarifying the issue. (Forum posts by developers are not 'official' statements... and ill-tempered moderators telling us to "shut the fuck up and wait" doesn't earn anyone any points either).

I trust this person will get the infractions he/she deserves for "bad manners".

Edited by [FRL]Myke
Removed quote from deleted post

@VisceralSyn

Infractions well earned. Now better watch your language if you don't want to take some vacations from the forums aswell.

:EDITH:

Secondly, as has been pointed out before, the Linux server isn't 'free'. Its a part of the game we paid for. Its an advertised feature

Source please. AFAIK the linux server binaries are developed and delivered out of goodwill from BIS, neither are they part of the original game (Windows server is shipped along with the game, linux binaries aren't) nor were they advertised officially.

Cleaned up flamebaiting/troll posts. Your post might have been deleted due to it's reference to another post, if you didn't got any warning or infraction, don't mind, you did nothing wrong.

So now we could go back to topic which is performance/stability/and_what_not regarding this alpha linux server, can we?

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Yes, lets please move forward and make PROGRESS.

I am ready to test and provide feedback (as mentioned before) .. The 15thMEU Recruiting Server II is up and running on the alpha right now.

If I get enough people on it I will move it to the colo for stress testing.

Edited by pchaxor

Myke;2205461']

Source please. AFAIK the linux server binaries are developed and delivered out of goodwill from BIS' date=' neither are they part of the original game (Windows server is shipped along with the game, linux binaries aren't) nor were they advertised officially.[/quote']

Here is the documentation on ArmA3: http://www.bistudio.com/english/games/arma3

Multiplayer Gameplay - challenge both cooperative & competitive scenarios with full support of dedicated servers for both Windows and Linux.

Posted by Suma to the official BIS wiki on Dec. 18th 2006 for ArmA1:

Support for Linux dedicated servers has been confirmed by Bohemia Interactive

From the ArmA2.com Website: http://www.arma2.com/

Software for dedicated servers is available for users to host freely wherever and however they like across Linux and Windows OS platforms.

From the official Arma2 Free Trailer on youtube (posted by BIS):

Free dedicated servers - Both Linux and Windows OS dedicated server support for users to host freely wherever and however they like even to play together on the same retail game-servers.

There are countless interviews for ArmA, ArmA2, ArmA2:OA, and ArmA3 given by employees of BIS confirming Linux dedicated server support for their games, and they continue to do so. I think the above links are enough proof, but I can provide a lot more if need be.

While some users get the ArmA2 windows dedicated server as part of their default install, not all users do (Steam users for example).

It's clearly an advertised feature of the software we bought (or getting for free in the case of ArmA2 Free)... It's a feature they continue to advertise for upcoming releases (ArmA3)...

I contend that BIS sold the game with the feature of a fully supported Linux dedicated server as part of the game... Their current marketing material seems to back up that contention as they are advertising full support for Linux dedicated server for ArmA3, as they have in the past for ArmA1 and ArmA2. So, it's no 'freebie' anymore than the Windows dedicated server is a freebie.

Edited by JayC

it never means that there is must to keep it with updates,

afaik the laws about advertising covers only the version available on release of title ...

anyway the point is quite moot because the thing is in development or shall we cancel the linux branch ?

cause i bet that would cause even bigger uproar ...

Myke;2205461']@VisceralSyn

Infractions well earned. Now better watch your language if you don't want to take some vacations from the forums aswell.

Source please. AFAIK the linux server binaries are developed and delivered out of goodwill from BIS' date=' neither are they part of the original game (Windows server is shipped along with the game, linux binaries aren't) nor were they advertised officially.

Cleaned up flamebaiting/troll posts. Your post might have been deleted due to it's reference to another post, if you didn't got any warning or infraction, don't mind, you did nothing wrong.

So now we could go back to topic which is performance/stability/and_what_not regarding this alpha linux server, can we?[/quote']

Not sure if you want this discussion here, but since you asked, neither Windows or Linux is mentioned in the general literature/advertising of the product, but if you're a server admin, you'll have come across this: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Dedicated_Server which makes no mention of Linux benig a second class citizen. The fact that windows server binaries are included in the product indicates nothing more than the fact that they're probably compiled at the same time. Linux binaries possibly require a bit of additional fiddling to work, and so, are not released with the game itself. Theres no indication whatsoever that the Linux binaries are a 'gift' to the community. Also, if the Arma 3 press release is anything to go by, no distinction is made between the status of Windows and Linux servers. "with the full support of dedicated servers for both Windows and Linux." suggests to me that there will be a fully supported Linux server.

"it never means that there is must to keep it with updates,

afaik the laws about advertising covers only the version available on release of title ...

anyway the point is quite moot because the thing is in development or shall we cancel the linux branch ?

cause i bet that would cause even bigger uproar ... "

You have no idea how frustrating it is, to enjoy your product as much as I do, but at the same time feel like you guys don't care about some of your customers. In the face of valid criticism from some of your customers, the attitude and posture of your representatives and moderators is simply unprofessional. It is entirely up to you whether you support the Linux server or not. The community of about 30 or so players that I admin for will no doubt have to go without a server if you drop the Linux server... and yes, there will no doubt be an uproar... but not from me. I'll simply stop playing Arma and perhaps go out and get some exercise...

I'm not going to comment further, because clearly this is a sore point.. or something.. because every mention of it seems to antagonise someone. Disable my ability to post, if you will, but please can allow me to continue to monitor the progress, as my players and I are very eager to play their game on our server.

Edited by JoeDamage

I don't really see what this discussion is supposed to achieve. Linux server admins want Linux binaries; BIS is working on the Linux binaries. Yes, it's unfortunate that it's taking so long, but whining about "false advertising" and other bullshit isn't going to get them done any faster.

Dwarden, first off congrats on your 7k2 post.

Next, I think we would all appreciate it if BIS staff and mainly Maruk discussed and made a defined decision on either going all in on the Linux support or canceling it.

It is frustrating for Linux admins and players alike to be part of a gaming community and then "all of a sudden" not have servers to play on.

I wont even get into the cost issues on the community side, this is more of a "can BIS truly support Linux and what is the future of games on Linux" issue.

If the decision is made to end support then please give is some lead time to convert our servers to Windows.

If the decision is made to fully support Linux then please make good on it.

I think that is fair.

Still Love ya either way.

---------- Post added at 11:29 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

Yeah, I suppose we are beating a dead glowing cow here. :hammer:

Edited by pchaxor

I don't really see what this discussion is supposed to achieve. Linux server admins want Linux binaries; BIS is working on the Linux binaries. Yes, it's unfortunate that it's taking so long, but whining about "false advertising" and other bullshit isn't going to get them done any faster.

First, nobody is whining about false advertising... People keep making the statement that somehow the linux dedicated server was "developed and delivered out of goodwill from BIS" and that just isn't the case, it was part of the advertised product from day one.

As for BIS working on the Linux biniaries, from the sounds of it nobody has been working on the Linux server for the last week:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?138230-Linux-1-62-95577-alpha&p=2204991&viewfull=1#post2204991

the staff working on linux server has week of holidays

The frustration is that BIS is not IMHO providing enough support to the Linux dedicated server, Steam users were forced to patch to 1.62, so 1.60 servers are dead because a large % of people can't play it.... Yet, BIS has only managed to release 2 Linux dedicated server patches in the last month, the 'unstable' alpha and 1.60.94743 released on July 11th. In that same time BIS has managed to release (by my rough count) 15 windows dedicated server patches.

5 or 6 of which since 1.62 patch was released... yet somehow it's ok for linux server operators (and the large clans they represent) to be forced to sit on the sidelines, while all of the resources are poured into windows server development while our servers are unable to run 1.62 on a stable platform.

Mistakes happen, we know a couple happened in this case... we have a very rough idea of what happened in this case... none of which as a customer and Linux server admin make me feel more comfortable with the situation...

Either way, the linux dedicated server admins here are offering to help in anyway we can, but there needs to be more forward progress in getting linux dedicated servers up to atleast the 1.62 with *all* the same features of the windows dedicated server.