Red_Ninja

Volumetric clouds changing shape?

Damm, thats real shame, those could simply break immersion, how long can i enjoy sunny weather? After downloading steam workshop missions im facing cloudy weather (and the rain which is turning everytime at around 50% clouding). Clouds are moving on whole horizont it looks terrible, like 2D trees on early Colin Mcrae rally. Ifupdating plugins is so hard, why they used this technology? Im sure they wasnt blind, they must knew what is hapening and will happen. Its little irracional to me. All we ask is to stop those clouds from facing the player everytime. Maybe TrueSky support would help them?

FYI : There is a BlastcoreSKY_x.pbo file with Blastcore phoenix, wich changes the cloud rendering : it makes it much more dicreet.

FYI : There is a BlastcoreSKY_x.pbo file with Blastcore phoenix, wich changes the cloud rendering : it makes it much more dicreet.

Thanks, gonna try it today.

EDIT:

Its not working :(

https://youtu.be/Srk0yCV1_WM

Itse real immersion breaker for me - i noted its visible more or less on diferent screen resolutions. It really need tweak/fix, most NEW players buying APEX after seeing such effect with "updated visualisation" wil never buy arma agian.

It's not that big of a deal for me. True sky is actually an amazing 3rd party tech, and it does look stunning as long as it's rendered properly. This is why I always, no matter what, have my clouds on Ultra. In fact, despite then turning, I'm usually too focused looking for infantry or other things that I don't care, because I don't notice the clouds turning unless I'm flying an aircraft and looking around constantly. War Thunder uses the same tech, and clouds don't turn. Arma is just one of those games where it's Engine is a mixed bag of nuts. But I think it's much better to have TrueSky than not at all.

Yes, got right, but problem is, this is background of all missions which player still see. As this proves i see it too, it may be norwous all the time, beacuse game have beautyfull volumetric lighting... and... just showed this to my brother today, wanted to invite him to arma 3 players... but guess what, clouds was the first ugly thing he saw, this mean something. After that, he say its still BETA.

Hello Devs, i decided to record some video for you and for other people that could resolve your issue.

. but guess what, clouds was the first ugly thing he saw, this mean something. After that, he say its still BETA.

Opinions are opinions though. For him to call Arma BETA because the clouds have an unsolved limitation doesn't make Arma 3 BETA again. It's just that the 3rd party application has limits. Now I reckon it will get fixed in the future when new technologies arrive on the gaming market. But to be honest, it's not that big of a deal. It's like view distance limitation. It's something we'd love gone, but not possible at this point in time, due to engine limitations, but could be remedied in the future.

As for where we stand now, with TrueSKY at its latest version, it's fine. In fact, Dev's for Gaijin chose to completely change their clouds. The biggest problem with what happened there is they wanted the clouds to not turn, like it does here. They made a change in their version of TrueSKY, but while it looks great from a distance, I can tell you first hand as someone who consistently uses clouds for a tactical advantage in War Thunder, and they look absolutely horrific up close now. Like layers of paper. But only look good from a distance. It's sad really.

Meanwhile Ace Combat 7 is like 30% complete or something like that, they use TrueSKY, which looks extremely similar to Arma's version, but higher quality. I didn't notice any cloud turning, but when more footage is released I'll do an in depth analysis. As for where we are now, with the options of removing it, or using Arma 2's Sky Box as clouds, I honestly, hands down, still see keeping what we have, spinning clouds and all, is the best decision, of course until a solution is found.

Hello Devs, i decided to record some video for you and for other people that could resolve your issue.

Sry mate, but those issues are not really issues.

That is happening because you have a low view distance, try the same with 12000 and you will see that the same is not going to happen.

Or if you have hardware for it, try with 32000 view distancE.

(ill make a video with 32000 vd)

It's really not a bug. It's a feature that they use. Arma 3 uses horizontally wrapped clouds.

That is happening because you have a low view distance, try the same with 12000 and you will see that the same is not going to happen.

Or if you have hardware for it, try with 32000 view distancE.

(ill make a video with 32000 vd)

The view distance doesn't have any kind of effect on the clouds. The same fish eye or warp effect happens no matter what the view distance setting is. Also the clouds are rendered over the view distance so you don't see any more clouds with 1k than with 30k view distance.

Well, its a bit laggy since it was made with a celeron at 3.0 ghz and with a HD 5870 having 4 GB DDR2 as system RAM.

Anyway it shows the difference in clouds according to view distance. In this case 32000 vs 3000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcBg8zIvHY0

erm... not sure what's going on. But i only see grey in your video. The clouds have no detail. Try reproducing on a vanilla map without mods.

I already tested just in case before saying yesterday (actually with the same values) and I still don't see difference in your video. Only difference is the fps and with low fps it might skip some frames. Then the clouds were bit different. Btw you can just write setViewdistance 32000 in the box and local execute it to change the view distances as you like. So you don't need to load the mission again with different clo

ds.

The fish eye and warping effect isn't that bad if you've the time frozen (in camera and time acceleration 0 for example). That's why you might think the effect gets fixed with higher view distance but that's likely just related to the fps drop.

You totally misunderstand the problem. Its not case of VD (which increasing KILLS FPS), its case of outdatet plugin of TrueSky - 3rd party application. It was already fixed in TrueSky, but the fix cannot be applied to Arma, beacuse it will mess the engine.

And its a big issue beacuse i'm moving camera when im moving my character (whole time!), This wrapping is really killing whole immersion (look at standard settings in video), its really big mess not a feature actually.

• Like 1

You totally misunderstand the problem. Its not case of VD (which increasing KILLS FPS), its case of outdatet plugin of TrueSky - 3rd party application. It was already fixed in TrueSky, but the fix cannot be applied to Arma, beacuse it will mess the engine.

I have reproduced your issue, Yes, it can happen under specific circunstances.